New user, critique me?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New user, critique me?

Hey, I've been lurking for a couple of years, figured I'd start posting some work for critique or whatever. I'm pretty much entirely self taught and I've only been working digitally for a couple of months, so any advice would be appreciated.

Figured I'd open with these True Detective pieces I did over the weekend, let me know what you think.

Name:  10154211_10203654640794917_563794800848098289_n.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  10275971_10203638067700600_7556507776146105168_n.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  59.4 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi There! Nice color and anatomy. The main issues I'm seeing are an inconsistency between sharp and soft areas, and the line work seems to be hindering you instead of helping. Now that I look twice, the sharp areas seem to be created by linework (like in the cornea of the first image).

I would forgo the linework completely, since your strengths seem to come out with more modulation anyway (run with what you're good at!). And while there are several artists that use both linework and depth/realistic form, there are few who do it well.

If, on the other hand, you want to continue working with line, I would vary the line weight a bit more and color it properly (more than just one color).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to karipaints For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your colours, but feel you are exaggerating effects like sub-surface scattering and reflective light, as you did in the red glowing nose and transparent ear of #1. You got the idea, just subtle it down here and there.

Grinnikend door het leven...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by karipaints View Post
    Hi There! Nice color and anatomy. The main issues I'm seeing are an inconsistency between sharp and soft areas, and the line work seems to be hindering you instead of helping. Now that I look twice, the sharp areas seem to be created by linework (like in the cornea of the first image).

I would forgo the linework completely, since your strengths seem to come out with more modulation anyway (run with what you're good at!). And while there are several artists that use both linework and depth/realistic form, there are few who do it well.

If, on the other hand, you want to continue working with line, I would vary the line weight a bit more and color it properly (more than just one color).
    Thanks! I can completely see where you're coming from with all that, in fact led me to notice the lack of sharpness on the right side of the nose. I quite like working with selective linework for more aesthetic reasons, but I'll try mixing up my colours and weight. Also, can you define modulation in this context? Sadly, being self taught my technical lingo is pretty poor.

Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    I like your colours, but feel you are exaggerating effects like sub-surface scattering and reflective light, as you did in the red glowing nose and transparent ear of #1. You got the idea, just subtle it down here and there.
    Cheers, I had a lot of problems with subsurface scattering, it was more an experiment than anything else, but looking at it it quite overpowering, I think ended up opting for a colour dodge brush in the end, so I realistically need to put the practice in anyway!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! Your technical skills are very good. The linework actually doesn't bother me at all...the pieces have a Grand Theft Auto quality that I actually like, in fact.

However: I would've never in a million tries recognized those two as the two leads from "True Detective" if you hadn't mentioned it in your initial post. If it's important to your that the characters be recognizable, you should work harder on getting a good likeness. Just my two cents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For modulation, I just meant use of color and value to form and depth.

For color linework, this is how I color mine when needed:
    http://teaganwhite.deviantart.com/ar...-CS5-281333851

I actually had a hard time finding a similar tutorial, but I'm not surprised Tegan White has a great one up! I find this method useful because it works for pencil line work (there might be a better way for inking, I'm not sure), and allows for the same line to be colored differently.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The style of these pics actually reminds me a lot of Borderlands!

I think these look really good, but your lines look a bit messy and wobbly in some places. Also, something looks off about the eyes in the first pic. They don't quite look symmetrical :/

Visit my sketchbook or my deviantArt!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nice work

Quote Originally Posted by SimonArthur View Post
    Hey, I've been lurking for a couple of years, figured I'd start posting some work for critique or whatever. I'm pretty much entirely self taught and I've only been working digitally for a couple of months, so any advice would be appreciated.

Figured I'd open with these True Detective pieces I did over the weekend, let me know what you think.

Name:  10154211_10203654640794917_563794800848098289_n.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  10275971_10203638067700600_7556507776146105168_n.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  59.4 KB
    Nice work! Both pieces look good but the second piece is a bit stronger. I think that toning down the translucency on Woddy's ear will help make the portrait better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found the picture you reffed Woody from, and I think you would hit the likeness even better if his skull was a bit narrower, the features more square and the hair thinner. Other than that, great job.

• 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook