Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: COW #320: Glamorous Griffin - WIPs Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 685 Posts
    Things are still a little bit wonky with the site, however I decided to move the deadline to Friday night! So if you have had troubles uploading, or would like some extra time refining your image you have an extra 48 hours to do so! Come Friday night you be required to re-post as posts and images seem to continually cross into alternate dimensions and tend to disappear and reappear at random intervals. But do not fear if the deadline comes and things are still scrambled, I will provide some breathing room

NEW DEADLINE: Friday May 23 11:59 PM

On another note, I have been thinking of pushing the topics back to being only 1 week long, I will continue to post two week topics for a while to test the waters a bit, but seeing as we are starting to see some regular participation I wanted to try to challenge you guys a bit more. At the very least I may post 1 week topics here and there for more straight forward topics, while more complex topics (such as this one for example) will be two weekers. I would appreciate any feedback on the matter, but there is a reason this is called Creature of the 'Week' and not Creature Every Other Week!
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Semi-quick idea, thought i'd give CoW a first shot
    Great concepts guys, keep it up
    PEACE!
    Name:  glamgriffin.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  65.3 KB
    Claws & wings are a mess atm...
    Last edited by jtendollar; May 20th, 2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: forgot something

Thanks
    Oh weird, I was posting a reply for IntotheVoid who requested a redline, but just as I did, the server asked me to log back in and their reply went missing. I'm going to assume it was a server hiccup and hid it or lost it somehow, so here's your redline. If you were the one who deleted it, let me know and I can remove this

Here's a quick redline for the wings. I wasn't sure if you wanted to have one higher than the other for fun, or if you wanted them spread evenly, so I went with the latter.

Name:  intothevoid1.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  212.8 KB

You can of course make them bigger if you want - this is just a basic spread-wing view with that opposite wing slightly foreshortened.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Windfalcon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well my regular white-paper sketchbook went missing, so I grabbed my toned paper one.

When you say 'glamorous', people think peacocks, parrots, birds of paradise, but not me. I think -

Name:  pigeongryphsketch1sm.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  106.5 KB

- PIGEONS! Pigeons, also called Rock Doves or more currently, Rock Pigeons, have such a lovely range of iridescent colors that people tend to overlook with them being 'rats with wings'. Fittingly, I decided to go with a Kangaroo Rat for its mammal half - a glamorous 'rat' to go with a glamorous pigeon!

I will likely add more colors than the general lavender-gray of the body, with shimmering spots similar to that of the Peacock Pheasant, and a decorative crest inspired by the tail plumes of birds of paradise.

Thanks
    Thanks for the redlines Windfalcon, here's the result so far. I am still working on it, the purple stripes are meant to be luminescent, that's why they aren't affected by the shadow, and I will be casting the purple light onto the grass too.

Name:  swangriff.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  136.8 KB

Thanks
    No problem IntotheVoid!

Here's a color sketch for mine. I'm going to go with acrylic for the finished piece, so I'll try to post a few WIPs of the actual painting. For now, here's a digital color sketch to get some ideas for colors.

Name:  colorsketch.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  264.0 KB

I basically just slapped some color over a grayscale value study, so it's not as vibrant as the final painting will be, but it helped me figure out what color scheme I'll go with - essentially a more saturated version of a pigeon's natural plumage.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Windfalcon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've done some work for this. I've been having posting issues, so here's to hoping this comes up.

Some concept thumbnials exploring where I wanted to go with this.
    Name:  20140512_090343.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  511.6 KB
    The final design, sketched out in pen ready for colouring.
    Name:  20140511_212041.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  519.6 KB
    The marker over of the pen drawing.
    Name:  20140512_215747.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  506.5 KB
    and some tweaking in photoshop. I' wanted to add some more texture to it, and sculpt the form more, get some good reflective light, rim and highlights. . but whatever! Didn't get to it yet. I wanted to show everyone anyway.
    Name:  BirdsOfParadiseGriffon.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  331.5 KB

Thanks
    Alright things appear to be settling down now, but the Friday deadline still stands! New topic has been posted as well! had to re-post it actually but it is up now!

Windfalcon: very nice work, however if you're going with that pose can you somehow show us the forelimbs so it is identifiable as a griffin, because from this angle it appears to have only two hind legs and wings! Or you can give us some rough orthos if you want

Also Some people may need to re-upload their submissions to the finals thread, as once again a few entries went missing during transfers.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Rob Powell: I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure if it would be an issue. I can easily add a foreclaw on his puffed chest, as if to go, "why yes of COURSE I'm gorgeous."

Edit: I know we're not allowed to have 'props' but would a bouquet of feathers be okay? If figure since they're a natural item they might be allowed?
    Last edited by Windfalcon; May 22nd, 2014 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks
    Getting there. Hope I make it by tomorrow.

Name:  griffin_wip2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  438.5 KB

Thanks
    @Rob Powell - I'm not really in in creatures stuff, but I'm here for push my things as many other. So it will be just useful for us to have more work load to develop in deadline. I have two children and a wife, and my paint buisness, but as long as I can I'll be in in every challenges.

Here is my ex wip.

Name:  glam griph.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  225.1 KB

Name:  glam griph03.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  377.4 KB

Thanks
    Windfalcon: I'm not entirely opposed to having accessories and props so long as they don't take away from your creature's design and as long as they don't individualize the creature as a character. The main goal is creature design, while you are painting accessories and whatnot you are not designing the creature that's why I recommend people to not do so. If the bouquet of feathers is(or was) apart of it's anatomy and part of the creature's nature is collecting it's feathers into a bouquet then there is no issue whatsoever...

Thanks
    Already posted my final to the finals thread, but here are my acrylic WIPs in case anyone's curious to see them.

Name:  wips1.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  469.8 KB

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Windfalcon For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7