Jerome S. Mordido - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Jerome S. Mordido - Composition 1.1

Thanks

Jerome S. Mordido - Composition 1.1

I really wanted to do this Repin piece but i think i underestimated it quite a bit seeing as i wasnt able to nail down all the little details. Im sorta new to digital painting so im not that knowledgeable about resolution and what size the canvas needs to be.but anyway heres my first attempt at composition.

What i love about Repin's paintings is the way he tells a story and convey the mood by using gestures and facial expressions. In this piece (St Nicholas Saves Three Innocents From Death)he lets the viewers eyes zigzag through the painting starting from the mountain top, to the executioners head, then to the captive on the left passing St Nicholas and down to the sword just above the mans head. I also noticed the way he composed the painting through tones by using light tones to highlight the center figures and dark tones behind them, the onlookers.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,976 Times in 2,542 Posts
    nice start here. at this phase in the piece you will want to take a pass at a. shapes, doublechecking all positive and negative shapes to the best possible accuracy level you can hit, b. values, matching best you can, and c. edges, making sure you get the full range of sharp to soft edges. Do it in that order as it will make no sense to render or fix details if your shapes are off a bit.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Thanks
    thankz jason!i appreciate the advice.

Thanks

Composition Study 2 - Ilya Repin - By Jerome S. Mordido

I did another Repin painting because I felt like I didnt pay close enough attention to the earlier piece in terms of its values and form. Thanks to your advice I put a lot more focus towards those areas that I really needed to sharpen.
    I appreciate the way in which the artists' use of repetition of patterns (squares and diamonds) creates depth. This is shown throughout the background and the foreground to indicate the use of perspective.

Thanks

Composition Study 3 - Ilya Repin - By Jerome S. Mordido

Here's another Ilya Repin painting. Ive set myself a time limit of just one hour compared to the other two which took a lot longer. Im not quite satisfied with the result of this painting as it does not contain the same amount of information or detail as I would've liked. Any advice on how to further my skills while maintaining that one hour mark?

Thanks

Composition Study 4 - Ilya Repin - By Jerome S. Mordido

Although I wasn't able to capture it on this recent painting, I noticed in most of Repins' that work many of the figures or objects that he put a lot of emphasis towards share similar tonal values. In this painting for example the priest, the shrines, the rich ,a horseman and a peasant all share the same lighter value as compared to the other figures that surround them.

Thanks
    This is probably the most difficult one to paint out of the other previous pieces. Its a lot less structured than the others and its quite easy to get lost in the painting especially when Im trying to match the right values. I gotta leave it at that since I reached the hour mark, but I'll probably get back to it again very soon to finish it up.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,976 Times in 2,542 Posts
    The Ivan piece turned out awesome!!!

Great job. What is something that sticks out in your mind that you learned from that one?

The next piece with the ship is a very strong start but could use some edge cleanup to clarify shapes...and a pass to double check values. Your process from out of focus to into focus on that one works really well...I like to work that way myself.

Your latest needs another pass at shapes, then values, then edges. For example you seem to have yet put in quite a bit of the larger dark pattern and field of dark that mingles through the composition in the middle ground, and below the seated figure on his legs. You also increased the light strength on the light that hits the ground on the left side. You have some good skills...I think that at this point it is just getting your shape, value, and edge checkpoints/passes into your process. Be deliberate about it. You will see immediate improvement if you do. You are certainly challenging yourself. Keep that up.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Members who have read this thread: 17