Spaceship concept - advice needed

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Spaceship concept - advice needed

Hello,

it would be great if some of the experienced users could give me some advice on the piece below. It took me 45 minutes to make a raw sketch, afterwards I spent 4 hours adjusting the values, color and working on details - and the difference between the sketch and the additonal four hours is marginal. The thumbnail of the finished painting looks even worse (valuewise) then the thumbnail of the sketch :/

The values seem to be off, even if I tried to use the whole range of deep black to white. The object don't really pops out or gives the impression to be 3-dimensional, and some parts look blurry or "pastellish" to me. (Like the jet engines in the back of the vehicle for example. I did that on purpose to create depth. But obviously it didn't work well. )

I had to give up now. Maybe you can point at the mistakes I've made? What could be the steps to finalize this into a good-looking concept?

Ah, and yes, the perspective is "a bit" broken, I didn't use any grid. I just wanted to test color / values / line weight, and I am not really satisfied with each of these three points...especially after reducing the resolution.

Sorry for the wall of text. oO

Thanks a lot if you made it so far.

Name:  drone_conceptart.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  233.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, the darkest value I could find was around 25%, and the lightest was 93%, so you did not really manage to use the whole range of values.
    As you've mentioned yourself the perspective is off, which destroys the illusion of solidity.
    Those are the two things that I noticed first from my (beginner) point of view.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi. I like the overall design, although the engines are less elegant than the front half of the ship. I think it's a good start but perhaps you should draw a side and top view to help you resolve the design, before tackling the perspective. Then start off with some basic boxes to get the large shapes and work towards smaller details. As for the values, you need to understand the materials and light source and then you can apply them on the overall form. Use this as a starting point and have another go, I'm interested to see what you can do with it.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a paintover, I simplified the design to speed stuff up for me. also simplifying would help get your perspective tighter. I also played around with the values and color to give an example of a possible direction you could go

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-05-09 at 10.46.22 AM.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  94.9 KB

Sketchbook

Personal Site (updated more often)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks a lot for the feedback and the paintover. And yes...I didn't really thought about it...but if the construction itself is not 100% correct I shouldn't be surprised that the overall look it unsatisfying in the end, especially when you try to polish the painting.
    I have the feeling that this aspect is not so important when I do my classical sketching with pencils, some scribbling can often trick the eye and pretend that all is in place and makes totally sense.

@ Yamsha: More black is needed, that's interesting. I didn't expected that, somehow I've lost my perception for the dark values. I had the feeling that the lower parts are already TOO dark. How did you find out that black is at 25% / White at 93%? Is there some sort of tool to check this? (I don't use photoshop, I use Manga Studio) Sorry for the stupid question...I am still new to digital painting.

Thanks a ton, this was very inspiring. Have a great weekend!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just colorpicked the lightest and darkest parts in Photoshop and looked at the brightness slider in the HSB window. You could try comparing your piece with some professional work while you're painting, that could tell you if your values are too washed out or too dark.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree very much with Dayle. If I were you I'd start with fixing the perspective. Then work on values, maybe using greyscale to get the values right. And finally colors.
    You have to decide what kind of material is used for it as it will change the rendering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again for your answer & feedback. Today I see it too - that the most of the dark areas are much to bright. This tunnel vision effect while working is weird...somehow I need to get rid of that. I guess having a look at some professional work from time to time could be helpful.

I will go back to the basics and do some value studies. Life could be much easier if I would still be satisfied with my "outlines define the form + simple colours & shadows are on the layer below" style.

Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tunnel vision effect, don't worry about it, that's why you get other peoples opinions, to become aware of things you'd otherwise miss. As you do more and get more experience you'll notice more and more points to check. Do you flip your canvas to check if perspective / values work? Try making simple models in sketch up to help understand perspectives and shadows. I would still like to see you continue on this piece, especially now you have an idea of a few bits to work on. The design reminds me of R-type or some top down shooter.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, I didn't flip my canvas, but I will try to use that now. And yes, in future I will do my sketches more detailed to get a better idea of the overall construction beforehand.
    I will continue on this one, but not sure when. Would like to have the feeling that my handling of values imfoved a little bit beforehand.

Thanks a lot for the hints & kind words!

Members who have read this thread: 22