could use some suggestions/critiques.

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

could use some suggestions/critiques.

I have done a study based on Loomis' concepts, want to know if i'm heading in the right direction. This is just a quick 1 hour doodle, but I did try my best at shading the face.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by HowDoIArt; May 7th, 2014 at 09:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I just wanna make sure... Is that supposed to be a Hitmonlee?

I don't think the foreshortening on the left (his right) leg is working. It also looks kinda noodly :/

I'm no anatomy expert, but at a glance, his abdomen looks a little short.

Even though there's no "head" on this figure per se, did you draw a head anyway before constructing the rest of the body? Even without a head, all proportions should still be relative to some kind of head size.

Visit my sketchbook or my deviantArt!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,452 Times in 3,664 Posts
    When you say you don't know if you're heading in the right direction, it might be an idea to tell us which direction that is. We're not mind readers.

Thanks
    I think that if you're going to be studying anatomy from Loomis's work then drawing a realistic pokemon is not the right approach. The anatomy is off in places and the eyes are rendered as if they were in a skull and not on a fantastical creature that has only eyes in it's chest. It really triggers a weird "uncanny valley" feel and I immediately see everything wrong with it.
    I can see that you rendered part of a nose bridge on the chest between the two eyes. Nose bridges only exist on things that have...a nose...What I'm trying to get at is that you shouldn't be using a pokemon to study anatomy, they're not real creatures, they weren't thought out as deeply as you're trying to get at, so they can only be rendered nicely in a hyper realistic way by people who know what they're dealing with. Honestly I would leave this piece and start something else. Maybe you can come back to it when you have a better understanding of shape, anatomy and form. (I'm not trying to put you down btw, I just don't want you to learn any bad habits by accident.)

That being said, You should not shade with black, always flattens things out. Use a bigger brush size and it will help the whole painting look more put together, right now it's really scratchy and just overall messy looking. A larger brush with a higher opacity will give you a more "buttery" feel to your painting. Honestly messing with Opacity is a bad choice as well(I had to unlearn it so I know it's allure). Try just setting the flow to your pen pressure rather than opacity.

Thanks
    Thanks! I originally tried to do this piece as a break from the study, while trying to exercise what I had learned. As for the flow technique i'll try it out.

Members who have read this thread: 27