Composition 1.1: Amean

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Composition 1.1: Amean

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Composition 1.1: Amean

let's get started!

question#1: is portrait allowed in this study?

question#2 : Is this good enough? i tried not to concentrate too much on the details and keep it rough!

Name:  Collins_Jacob_Anna_2004.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  63.2 KB

I chose this artwork because of the way he has shown the flow of body on the bed, and the way he has captured the calmness in the T shape in middle of the piece!

I also love the way of value distribution throughout the canvas!

Last edited by ameanman; May 13th, 2014 at 07:27 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another study

Name:  Dyck_Anthony_van_Nicolaes_van_der_Borght_Merchant_of_Antwerp.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  83.6 KB

I'm very interested in this kind of composition, an standing figure, and i'm gonna do more of these!

what interests me the most in this composition is the darkness in the middle of the guy's body that goes to the right of the piece, and there's light on the left!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,134 Times in 2,681 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    portraits are fine to study. yes.

very nice start to these. I think you can be more accurate in shape, value and edges. Really focus on getting your shapes mapped out perfectly and as accurately as you can. Do the same with your values and the same with your edges. You are doing good work. I think you can get closer though...so don't worry if you have to slow down a little to get there. The speed will pick back up.

keep up the great work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    portraits are fine to study. yes.

very nice start to these. I think you can be more accurate in shape, value and edges. Really focus on getting your shapes mapped out perfectly and as accurately as you can. Do the same with your values and the same with your edges. You are doing good work. I think you can get closer though...so don't worry if you have to slow down a little to get there. The speed will pick back up.

keep up the great work.

jm
    Thank you very much! You just pointed out one of the most important weakness points of mine.

I will make sure to work on that and get closer on the next ones!
    Thanks again for the critique!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ameanman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  Nikolay-Rymski.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  109.0 KB

I chose this simply for the way nikolay is showing the stance of the figure, and the way he's holding the cigar in his hand, and how he has put a figure with dark clothes in a not so bright room, and he has used the brightness of the skin to move the eye through the piece!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  2158da0db12e99b893a667387566584b.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  140.9 KB

It's frazetta time! I chose this one for the fact that I personally love painting scenes in the night time, and handling them has always been a challenge for me,
    there's a certain calmness in the scene, which I can tell is achieved by the placement of the branches framing the piece like a curtain in a theater,
    and the pose of the body and the way the moonlight is running through the figure, although it's not physically possible!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  Bierstadt_Albert_Indians_Fishing.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  83.1 KB

Environment has always been a challenge for me and I have almost no Idea how to finish a piece like this! the simplicity and the balance that the placement of objects brings to the piece are interesting to me.
    the way he has used the reflection to draw the eyes to the boats, and keep the eye on the left area of the piece is elegant, and the continuity

Last edited by ameanman; May 13th, 2014 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  Degas-1.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  327.6 KB

I wanted to study this piece because I always have trouble with portraits and the placement of head in the piece!

distribution of light and dark throughout the piece is adding to the calmness of the scene

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  Winter_Night_1920_60x73cm.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  224.7 KB

I Chose Mucha's work, specially this one for several factors,
    one is the economy, the empty large background that is creating an environment for the feeling of the face to be seen.
    the other one is the use of interesting patterns on her scarf, and of course, the emphasis element for the face

Last edited by ameanman; May 22nd, 2014 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  The_Red_Cape_1902_64.8x48.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  123.2 KB

I chose this work because of the element of repetition(folds), and balance throughout the whole piece!
    the darkest darks are gathered in the top left and bottom right of this artwork and the white line going to the left corner of the piece brings the balance and takes a bit of the weight from center

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  Jaroslava_1920_73x60cm.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  230.5 KB

1- element of repetition, all that textile around the piece folding
    2- element of balance, the work is almost a symmetry,
    3- emphasis, it's so interesting that in this work, face is not the brightest, but it's center of the attention, the skin tone is defined darker than the textile, so the eye goes straight to the face of the model

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ameanman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  Dyck_Anthony_van_Portrait_Of_Frederik_Hendrik.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  225.0 KB

I chose this one for the element of emphasis, which has been used on the face of our character, and also on the shiny parts of the suit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  Rembrandt_Aristotle_with_a_Bust_of_Homer.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  300.6 KB

I chose this work mainly for the element of continuity! the light moves from the face of the character to the head.

the other one is the economy, all the dark area around the subject, and then we have light to put emphasis on the figure and the statue

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow you are getting a lot done. this made me happy to see. Your surface textures are coming along well too. mainly, the area for you to focus on immediately is accurate portrayal of the values you see. You can get closer than you are...for example, take a look at the light hitting the sleeves in the latest study. The Rembrandt. for the next round of images please take time to do a second pass and quality control check on your values. Once those are consistently accurate you will have made the next step. Keep up the great work.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow you are getting a lot done. this made me happy to see. Your surface textures are coming along well too. mainly, the area for you to focus on immediately is accurate portrayal of the values you see. You can get closer than you are...for example, take a look at the light hitting the sleeves in the latest study. The Rembrandt. for the next round of images please take time to do a second pass and quality control check on your values. Once those are consistently accurate you will have made the next step. Keep up the great work.

j
    Thanks jason! Yes I see what you're saying, everytime I concentrate on something, something else gets left out! I sometimes forget the main goal of this assignment and try to only get the shapes right!

Thanks for pointing that out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  Edinburgh_NGS_Singer_Sargent_Lady_Agnew.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  166.0 KB

This was a hard one! the face was really tricky, but the reason I chose this was the way he's putting all the emphasis on the face, the very dark lines around the eyes, and the distibution of dark and light that is much more varied in the face! all the bottom part of the piece is white, and the top part is dark and that was an interesting way of putting things together

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  Anthonis_van_Dyck_025.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  228.5 KB

this one was on my mind from the start, but i thought that there's no composition element to this, but now after 12 studies I clearly see how there's repetition in the thing around the neck and how all of the main contrast is in the face and there's not much detail around the piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  Bierstadt_Albert_Cathedral_Rocks_A_Yosemite_View.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  295.3 KB

I chose an environment again because I really don't have any Idea How to start and finish one!
    The thing that I found interesting in this piece is the bright line in the middle of the rocks, that attracts the eyes, and flows from the sky to the ground! it has put an emphasis to the center of the piece , and the artist has used dark trees to bring balance and keep everything heavy and on the ground!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  John_Singer_Sargent_001_detail.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  305.1 KB

It's a small part of a sargent's work! The little girl's clothes are much brighter than any other element in the background, and I think he has purposely made the socks black to keep the balance and really bring out the whites in the figure!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man,
    great jobs here. I can't really find any advice to give you, because every study you did is it great.
    In this last one maybe the shadow of the little girl behind here is a bit higher compared to the original and the face is a bit bigger. So is more about the shape, but are subtle differences.
    Very nice job.
    Keep it up

26. The Following User Says Thank You to giropiro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these last two are right where you need to be. I was looking through the last four and going to push you on your values and then i scroll down and you have it resolved. Great job. Keep focused on being consistent now. great shapes. great value owrk. great edges. keep all three as checkpoints to double check and triple check.

you are on the right path. keep them rolling now!!

great work.

j

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these last two are right where you need to be. I was looking through the last four and going to push you on your values and then i scroll down and you have it resolved. Great job. Keep focused on being consistent now. great shapes. great value owrk. great edges. keep all three as checkpoints to double check and triple check.

you are on the right path. keep them rolling now!!

great work.

j
    Thanks a lot jason for a motivating critique! I'm working hard on those three checkpoints! I'm gonna finish off this assignment with quality work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  N.C.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  188.3 KB

This one was quite a challenge, and I really wanted to test my skills on painting such composition, cause I want it to influence my future work!
    There are so many elements in this piece! most Importantly the elemnt of emphasis in the center of the piece, the dark head of the character with the bright fire that attracts the eyes in the first sight!

I still need to work on my environment painting skills!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  Dyck_Anthony_Van_Portrait_Of_A_Monk_Of_The_Benedictine_Order_Holding_A_Skull.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  206.9 KB

It was interesting to me how there's a triangle like movement is going on in this piece!
    you move from the head to the hand and the skull, and the foldings are created with the slightest change in value so it does not break the movement! and then we see the economy, how the artist has boldly chosen to leave the entire canvas dark except for three areas!

Last edited by ameanman; May 28th, 2014 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  Saint_John_the_Baptist_in_the_Wilderness.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  193.3 KB

this one was really tough...

there's a certain emphasis on the figue, but the artist has tried to show the things that is going on in the piece with partial lighting. for example, why would the book be lit like this? because the contrast draws the eyes!
    there's an interesting rhythmic quality to the figure, and i didn't notice the little sheep in the corner till the very end!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent. really good work.

Keep a close eye on your values. You can get a little bit closer there (the male portrait...the face for example). Really great work regardless...just gotta tighten up on matching values a little tiny bit and you will be very close.

Keep up the great work.

j

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent. really good work.

Keep a close eye on your values. You can get a little bit closer there (the male portrait...the face for example). Really great work regardless...just gotta tighten up on matching values a little tiny bit and you will be very close.

Keep up the great work.

j
    Thank you jason! I can feel changes happening in my perception of values and forms, I still need much more work to do... you were talking to me about caravaggio's specific style of lighting, and then you said I need to work on my portraits, and clean edges, so I decided to chose this one!

Name:  Caravaggio-(28).jpg
Views: 77
Size:  256.0 KB

This piece has an interesting and rather odd use of variety and pattern in it...
    you cannot deny the facial expression of the creature, but the snakes, with their specularity and their curves, they're everywhere, yet none of them look like the other

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  the-indian-lance.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  158.6 KB

And for the last one! I Tried to add an edge study to my other studie, and this piece seemed appropriate.
    there's a value exchange from the bottom of the piece to the top!
    and there's also a contrast to show off the amount of tension that there is in scene.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ho my god, your progress is really...
    Good work man.
    Maybe on this last one, i will put some darker value on the face.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Madaoway For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Madaoway View Post
    Ho my god, your progress is really...
    Good work man.
    Maybe on this last one, i will put some darker value on the face.
    Thanks. I agree I need to make that darker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 75