CHOW #352 :: Steampunk Storm Chaser - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like to think she carries this around with her all the time, just in case...

Name:  stormchaser_WIP.png
Views: 423
Size:  414.9 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Payney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  stormchaserwip.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  180.1 KB

Heres my first Wip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Payney - Looking great already!

Can my energy storage unit be a bicycle? Good for chasing storms, carrying batteries and not getting electrocuted. Like this?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everybody. I'm very much new to here and to these challenges in general.

I don't have much experience with design in general. But i'm having a really fun time so far with this idea.
    Name:  steampunk1 wip size down.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  160.1 KB

So here's my guy so far. I thought about this tough guy, he goes through these storms and he sticks these poles wherever he goes. These are all wired to his conductor-bag.
    I'm really struggling with the steampunk aspect of this challenge (I keep finding myself trying to stick in cogs to everywhere ). I'd really appreciate any suggestions regarding that (or anything in general).

I wanted to add the reference I gathered (for some reason conceptart doesn't let me upload any more images in this post). But its just everything I thought about at the moment, for some reason I thought about Micky Rourke from Iron man 2, I thought it'd be cool to have some of that character. Maybe the tough-engineer aspect.

Please let me know what you think. Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

He's done this before.

Having something of an ermagerd moment. A storm chaser was the first serious profession I wanted to persue as a child, and I've always wanted to try my hand at steampunk style! But I don't think I can join yet again. Too much going on. I'll squeeze in a sketch if possible, but unlikely. I'll be watching, though! Great stuff right off the bat, guys!

Edit: I sketched. I need to do other things, but I don't get clear ideas so often!

He uses a steel bolt crossbow with a string attached to catch the lightning strike and direct the energy to his pack. I want him to have a type of motorcycle, too (they've got to be quick and mobile), but doubt I can commit to something like that.

"He's cool. He's classy. He's confident. He's The Conductor. He's done this before."

Last edited by VeriVeri; May 8th, 2014 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my take on. I need to put more industrial elements into it. Let me know what you think. Also I think his foot needs to be bigger.

Name:  SteamPunkStormChaser.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  533.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Marco, I'm going to use them both, because the concept is that they are orphaned sisters, and work as a team to collect the energy as a source of livelihood.

@Goodsoup, yaaa, that happens to me a lot. :p

@Payney, I love the concept and the design.
    @Sammyart, she is so cute! Love the expression on her face and the body language.

Here is my update. I wasn't happen with the composition of the first drawing, so I redid it. Also, I don't think its feeling steampunkish enough yet. So I need to push that more.
    Name:  stormchaser2WIP1.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  230.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Coloured, still figuring out the fineries. Everyone's stuff looks amazing!

Views: 402
Size:  717.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Goodsoup: You're right. I'm going for more cartoony proportions, but it did end up looking a bit dwarfed. So this morning I just extended the legs a bit. You say you don't know what to aim for, if you want to know where to take visual cues from, you could take a look at the following:

In terms of movies, a great one is Hellboy. Awesome visual style, and some more fantastical steampunk elements. Other pretty good ones would be The Prestige, Howl's Moving Castle, The Golden Compass, Jonah Hex.

And in terms of games there's of course the Bioshock series of games, which I think is are the pivotal steampunk video games. Others you could check out are Dishonored, Rage, Torchlight and Arcanum.

You've seem to have captured the more adventurous brand of steampunk style quite nicely already, though.

So here's mine with more reasonable proportions:
    Name:  Stormchaser_wip2.png
Views: 391
Size:  245.5 KB

And just for fun some stages:
    Name:  Stormchaser-steps.png
Views: 393
Size:  228.2 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone !

I'm new here, so I submit to the CHOW to kind of introduce myself ^^.

So here's my submission to this CHOW :

Name:  Chow-Dogan-step1.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  Chow-Dogan-step2.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  Chow-Dogan-step3.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  73.9 KB

Hope I didn't break any rules ^^'.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doganoztel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @Tenpeoplez- nice idea with the armor. I especially like the helmet guy. Not sure why.

@ Marco Lombardi – yes it is risky huh? Heh. Well, if you’re gonna chase storms you’ll have to catch m, right? On your dilemma, I’d suggest working on both side by side a bit, and then choose. The small guy looks more original to me, but he’s not sitting in his contraption yet.

@Adreinne- I think you’re doing it right.

@st0neface- very nice sketches. Though in the 2nd one the umbrella is… inconveniently placed…

@-Clare Belshaw yeah that bird mask! hard though. So is your mask btw. To pull that off, I think you’ll need some reference.

@MasterTroglodyte- love the face. The rest could be anything.

@Kindcoffe- the last sketch it looks like the girl has 4 arms… isn’t that a great idea?

@DijitaKid- ouch. No legs. I’d like to hear the story of that accident…

@Wuggy- not your fault but I feel like I’m seeing this eyepatch guy a lot I like the glove though. And I guess the guy behind it has to be sturdy. He could be a little less generic I guess? Overall it looks good though.

@Anaiira- haha. Well, I got feelz now.

@Good Soup- I think we kinda had the same idea. Nice sketches; the left arm on the right figure is a bit weird.

@Dayle- bicicle! Nice idea!

@Sorrow Cow- ah! It almost looks like he’s going fishing for lightning.. and I sooo like the idea im sorry I didn’t do that.

@Veriveri- its funny! You’ll need to do something with the legs though.

@revelations- cool pose. The ankle-knee relation on the right leg seems a little off. The should be jutting from opposing sides.

@Stringfellowart- oh dear! Dumb kids. LOVE it!

@doganoztel- its beautiful. You’re aware this is not the final thread, right? Its not up yet.. also, you’ll need to add stuff like user name and chow number. Its at the start of this thread.

Mine:
    Just 2 or 3 half-hours session on this.. still haven’t dropped any.

Name:  352sketchesb.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  74.2 KB

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so here is mine ˆˆ

Name:  chow352_overpalada.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  335.5 KB

Last edited by overpalada; May 9th, 2014 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Steampunk Storm Chaser wip1.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  109.5 KB

full steam ahead!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is an updated sketchy wip!

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  109.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the latest. I'll be fixing up the leg and finishing up the rendering.

Views: 337
Size:  214.0 KB

@ashess Yeah I see what you mean, I think I'll extend his leg out more, fully onto the platform. I'll work on it for the next update.

@doganoztel I LOVE IT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my WIP. Critiques are welcomed!
    CHOW #352 :: Steampunk Storm Chaser

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @revelations: I really am liking the coloring for this. I didn't expect it to be so bright

@-Slacker-: i think your outfit design is dead on for steampunk and the posture is really great too! I'm curious to how the device would look like!

Here's my second wip: trying to still decide.
    I wanted to make the storm chaser device the main feature for these designs.
    Name:  stormchaser.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  416.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ashess: You're absolutely right, the guy is still too generic. I've been racking my brain over the design. I still don't really have a great idea where to go with it. In terms of your thumbnails, I like the helmet on #1, but I can't read it too well other than that. I really do like the idea of incorporating a kite, though.

@Revelations: When you post your WIP's, it might be beneficial to size them down. It's a lot less arduous to read the design when you don't have to scroll to see the entire picture.

Anyway, as I said, I'm still trying to work out the design, and I'm still not sure.

Name:  Stormchaser_wip3.png
Views: 313
Size:  291.8 KB

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this iS what i have so far. its quite simple actually. i imagined that lighting is like a big whale that needs to be caught. hence this guy is a sort of harpooner, native american style. he throws the harpoon towards the clouds (!) and attracts the lighting which hits the harpoon. the electricity channels through the cable and is transported and stored in the "bottles" of conductive liquid on the belt through the "wheel/coil" thing in the middle.

lol

most of the entries are crazy awesome btw...

Name:  ec19274b-22e7-4c1e-b69e-5563fb1f699f_zpsb6aa209a.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  294.1 KB

any feedback is appreciatted now that i still havent colored anything.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a update with paint

27. The Following User Says Thank You to peterhurman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update? *shrug*, at least it's not so... what it was before. I'm really not a fan of where it actually ended up going, so I might just finish him off for the sake of completion & practice and move on to a different drawing. Or just stop, I haven't really decided.

I've decided he's a cloud chaser who has gone insane with trying to collect more energy, it's an adrenaline rush that always needs to be fed. Crits are always welcome.

And now for some unsolicited comments!
    @peterhurman: Cool design, interesting antennae thing in the back. The most obvious thing is maybe having a more consistent light source? Judging from his face, it's coming from the top right, but for the rest of his gear (& esp. boots), it's harder to tell.
    @clouddreamer: I really like this direction. There's so much energy flowing through. The upper shoulder muscles are reading a little weirdly and the belt seems flat somehow, but I'm sure that's stuff that'll come out with colours.
    @Wuggy: I feel like a jerk and that I somehow stole the intent behind your design or something. Um, more specifically though, I really dig the silhouette of your dude. When I squint at him, he looks really cool. In the way that you've done the lineart though, he looks tense and a little bit hesitant. The way his posture is, his spine looks like it's a little concave and his shoulders look like they're coming forward and he's hunching a little bit. Of course, I could just be misreading it, but yeah. I generally find that if I don't get the posture of what I want right, then no amount of fidgety gadgets will get me the look I want.
    @Kindcoffee: THAT HOOD. I want that hood. I also like the face on the pants. I like the second silhouette and pose better but there's something interesting about the design of the first one.
    @Slacker: It's interesting steampunk-wise. I don't really see a lot of the whole lightning catcher yet, but I'm sure it'll get there. Critique wise, her right arm seems a little short.
    @revelations: I think it's a function of having a really really large canvas, but his torso seems a little long. It reads like you're going for a kind of worm's eye perspective (or at least one that's lower than standard eye level) and while his legs and right hand read really well for that, the torso looks off. Love the pants though.
    @Ashess: Aww thank you. You're (much) too kind. I really like the kite one. It looks really cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ill provide feedback again on all this awesome stuff soon... right now, I'm just gonna answer and give an update.

Name:  352sketchesd.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  75.9 KB

@wuggy- yeah; that’s always hard. You could try and start with a backstory, like did this guy make that glove, or is he hired. How did he get this job and such. Or, you could dontrast with the glove. Like, it seems to suggest a strong character is needed to hol dit, so the guy holding it could be really thin and frail looking instead. On the thumbs, ye I figured I needed to improve on that. How is this version?

@anaiira- yes I liked the kite too. But I was stumped on what to do with it further, so dropped that one.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @anaaira: Hehe, don't worry about the idea. I think it's pretty natural if you start that line of thinking to go "You know, arms COULD make great lightning rods!" I perhaps got too focused on the more cartoony proportions when I was making the base pose, so it's not very dynamic. I'll try to do my best in rendering to fix it, but we'll see.

In terms of your design, I really quite like where you're going with it, just be careful not to go too cyberpunk instead of steampunk with the technology part of it.

@Ashess: That's much better. I personally like it best out of the three.

And here's my progress:

Name:  Stormchaser_wip6.png
Views: 279
Size:  329.3 KB

And for fun how I went from line to color:

Name:  Stormchaser-steps2.png
Views: 279
Size:  377.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Lightning Chaser.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  289.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP2

Payney: I love the attitude, and your style. There's something about the silhouette that needs improvement, though. I feel like the apparatus on her left hand is protruding where it should be hanging...

sammyart: Style, shapes, rendering, etc. are all great thus far, but the conductor/lightning collector/whatever seems to have taken over. Is there a way to angle your char or change her position so she, not the machinery, is the focus?

SorrowCow: For me your contraption is distracting. The clunkiness of his suit and the consternation in his grimace are grand, but some of those spindles pull me away from your char and touch the edge of the frame.

stringfellowart: I think what you're doing is charming, but the colors feel a little desaturated. I realize they're in a relatively diffuse environment (i.e., cloud cover) but it feels too subdued for all the wonder (or anticipation) on their faces. I also wonder if you flipped the piece would it look better? Just curious.

revelations: I think your char is brim with pizzazz but I feel like there are places where you could do with less saturation. I realize you're likely to deal with this before you finish but it's my two bits.

Wuggy: Stiff or not-quite-there angles on the right hand and the face. Try taking a "selfie" with yourself in that position and see how it reads. You've gone to such lengths to render his outfit and color it just so, but he doesn't read as "real" because he feels like a mannequin.

doganoztel: Love the movement, energy, hair and wild lightning capture device. Go you.

Slacker: no critiques just yet... just want to see where you're headed...

Kindcoffee: very imaginative. I prefer the iteration on the right, if only because we see the char's face.

I didn't get to everyone, mostly because I'm lazy or else because I didn't know what to say. My apologies.

My wip, such as it is...

Name:  steamstormimg2.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  277.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ashess - Thank you! Your ideas are great too, but I think the compositions could be possibly better. I really like the guy on the left. It all looks very promising!

@MasterTroglodyte - Thank you for your comment! you are absolutely right.I didn't appreciate enough these things until I read your comment. I think I'll try to solve some of these problems with values. I really like what you're doing. Its so different from what I could possibly imagine, but its so very Steampunk, and there is so much character in this! Maybe (this is just my opinion) if she was sitting more confidently , maybe if her legs were wider apart, it would be more beneficial to the character.

Name:  Steampunk2 WIP size down.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  106.2 KB
    Here is an update. Minor changes all around. It really made me think as hard as I could on design and composition and everything. I guess i'll continue to try to rendering it with whatever time is left.
    I like this challenge so much. There is so much inspiration here!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to SorrowCow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone! Just joined the forum and I really like the challenges present on this website. Everyone is doing great so far.
    I have never ever done steam punk before so participating in this would definitely prove challenging but I am interested to see what I can do and what others might do too.

Anyway, I started off with some silhouettes to get my brain juices flowing and then moved on to a slightly more refined idea for my character. My concept is that this guy is about 50-60 years old and started storm chasing when he was very young and when the storm chasing industry was still very new and unknown. He learned everything through experience and of course had some accidents along the way, one of which cost him his arm which he replaced with a prosthetic one that works through steam power hence the mini steam engine on his energy storage unit. However, the industry has grown and gained popularity and with the increase in demand there is also an increase in supply of storm chasing equipment. In order for him to not fall behind others, he has decided to invest in one of the latest storm chasing equipment but currently has no idea on how to operate it since the way it works is so different from what he usually does which is to just run into a lightning storm and hope lightning would strike his extended antennas thus providing energy to his storage unit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @sorrowCow I think you're right; the left idea is best in terms of ida... but not a very good thumb. looking into different poses.
    also fleshing out the character.
    Name:  352sketchesf1.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  115.9 KB

Name:  352sketchesf2.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  94.6 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Emmanuall: I really like your silhouettes I think the only thing that I'd have to ask is that it seems like they are all a bit a like? I'm excited to see where you take it though.

@Ashess: I personally love hummingbirds, I'm curious to see how that and a storm chaser outfit/appearance links up but I'm really thrilled to see that you're using a lot of materials to help you find a great design!

here's my WIP
    Name:  stormchaserWIP.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  207.8 KB

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Kindcoffee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right. I've been tweaking the pose a bit, as per the critiques I've received so far.

Name:  Stormchaser_wip8.png
Views: 180
Size:  470.0 KB

I might still end up changing the other hand to this:

Name:  Stormchaser_posething.png
Views: 179
Size:  192.3 KB

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuggy For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 286