DAILY UPDATE: Another Month of Abstract Exercises - Page 7

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love finding the weaknesses and working on them. Sorry about this round. I got home from work and crashed immediately--was super tired. Still a little off, but will work on some art tonight after work. I hope I didn't catch something :/

I am going to check out this weekend after work is over completely. I will let you know as soon as I get them.

I think I have a copy of Bridgman somewhere at least, so that is a bonus

My full range of work: http://anjyil.deviantart.com/gallery/

My weird sketchbook here (it`s best to just skip to the end haha): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...06#post2430006
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about yesterday ^_^; Feeling much better so put in some extra effort in the painting and did two lifes. I really want to have more time to paint and draw.

Planes. Kind of. I got distracted by the many colors
    Name:  planes_july182014.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  116.1 KB

And the two lifes...counting and pre-planning are really important. I only did half my watercolor box And I couldn't do a straight line to save my life today XD
    Name:  life_july182014.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  122.1 KB

Name:  lifea_july182014.jpg
Size:  107.5 KB

My weird sketchbook here (it`s best to just skip to the end haha): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...06#post2430006

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The color is part of the form anyway.

Perspective is a point of view, a reference point against which various things are related.
    The composition of the symbols we draw with, their orchestration, creates an impression.

The crescent moon tends to be seen as a symbol of transition, probably by association with phases of the moon. Another way it's interpreted is as an arc of motion, if you look at the video game Strider look at when he swings his sword. The crescent moon plus the oval plus the circular enclosing space creates the impression of something round.
    Name:  ShapesAndForms.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  19.2 KB

Name:  cube.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  21.7 KB
    The 3 equal diamonds, unified by rotational symmetry, appear kind of flat. By modulating their shape a stronger impression of form is created, the different planes appear in different phases.

Name:  transition.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  6.3 KB

Play around with these shapes, draw the diamonds, crescents etc., this way and that, just let them morph around on the page. Similar to the pattern exercise, and the abstracts.

Name:  RandomDiamonds.jpg
Size:  50.6 KB[

When you draw for real, don't think about the baysick formz, look through the symbols, look past them into the depth behind them, what they represent, reality. The marks you make are like tracks or footprints of where you were.

Name:  smear.jpg
Size:  35.8 KB

Warm up by scribbling around the page, overhand on newsprint is best. This is a useful exercise, draw a bunch of parallel straight lines then draw undulating curves that harmonize with each other. Mostly just scribble around however.

Name:  harmonies.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  71.3 KB

Also do standard perspective exercises. 2 pages per update: abstract shapes, and perspective page. Don't post the scribble warmups.
    Name:  perspective.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  60.9 KB

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Talk about luck! I found a block of wood and hinge while looking for stuff for still lifes. I just have to cut it in half! Amazing the stuff I find in this old house

Okay, I decided to keep it simple first time. I just couldn't imagine morphing crescents today, though I wanted to do them. I will try that tomorrow.
    Name:  shapes_july192014.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  98.0 KB

And one point. Today is a good day--I could keep my hand mostly steady. Maybe this and the scribble exercise will help me get used to the side effects of that medication.
    Name:  p01_july192014.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  128.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look up the words phase, modulate, impression, and transition, dictionary.reference.com is good, it got me thinking a little deeper.
    Was in the mood to post two.
    Name:  DSC01116.JPG
Views: 46
Size:  148.2 KB

Name:  july19PerspectiveShapes.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  72.6 KB

Diagonals too close.
    Name:  july19Perspective.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  47.9 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Words are fascinating. I loving checking the etymology of words as well. It is a real challenge to try and define the words for English Language Learners. Did you see the root for those words? I never realized that phase had the root for appearance, though I knew about the other definitions it went by.

Here are my shapes. Glad to see we went about it differently ^_^
    Name:  shapes_july202014.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  130.6 KB

My perspective work. I need to work on my circles in squares again. I do okay with straight squares, but perspective kills me. Will probably do more of the same tomorrow.
    Name:  p01_july202014.jpg
Size:  118.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Words are only interesting in an indirect way. It's all tomayto tomahto. People tend to use words for lying and fibbing, there is a whole political system built into our language. What's interesting is that real art, not propaganda and advertising which is what entertainment is often used for, deals directly with the experiences that originally prompted the invention of the words.

Starting to notice some things about modulation. You can draw these things however you want, I'm using these signs pens because I bought them not too long ago and had never used them before and think they have some interesting qualities.

Name:  july20Modulation.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  july20Perspective.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  38.8 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sign pens are really interesting. If you can find the type with a brush-like tip, it really adds effects for the lines from thickening to thinning and you can play around with swishes and stops. I use it to study kanji mostly, but have been using it off and on through these exercises.

A day where I feel full of energy! Been drawing since I woke up--really want to get better at circles in perspective.
    Name:  p01_july212014.jpg
Size:  114.5 KB

Then used the ovals for the freehand exercise. I feel like my freehand is better than my controlled, but both need work.
    Name:  shapes_july212014.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  124.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are a bunch of problems with your linear perspective circles, fix them. Diagonal vanishing points for squares too close, widest part of ellipse should be perpendicular to it's thickness vanishing point, get one of those plastic sheets with a bunch of ellipse holes in it, pencil them in with it then ink them freehand. You should be using a book or something if you don't know the rules, Ernest Norling's is the best.

Name:  july21modulation.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  122.5 KB

Name:  july21perspective.jpg
Size:  73.0 KB

Last edited by armando; July 21st, 2014 at 11:39 PM.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree--there are lots of tutorials. I am sure I have read and seen hundreds over the last five years or so. Sometimes those art books I got go into them as well. Most of them are not good. I have been trying their different techniques and whatnot, though. The first post of circles is the most common tutorial/technique---draw a square in perspective and draw the circle within. It completely ignores the major and minor axis. The second post had some of the super complex prep (I don't even know what to call it)--but still used a square perspective and again ignored the major and minor axis. Obviously I couldn't figure out where to touch the square with the circle. I found several that talked *only* about the axes and didn't really directly apply them to drawing them. One had a really cool discussion about how the major axis is always parallel to the horizon, or the minor if it is a vertical ellipse. Very interesting read.

This time, I found a method called the Chord method---it is an Engineering technique and it combines the above but makes very important distinctions about how to figure out the axes. I like this method. I hope to eventually adapt it outside of square outline but I think the outline helps me at this point. The Chord method uses few lines, and gives a good way to quickly check the accuracy. None of these tutorials or techniques can help me with arc and over-using my wrist, though.
    Name:  p01_july222014.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  159.3 KB

And my shapes. I did this before the perspective study to loosen up more--I was really stiff this morning.

Name:  shapes_july222014.jpg
Size:  199.7 KB

I know that I ramble a lot and I apologize if it has annoyed you. The dialogue helps me think things through and remember stuff. Don't feel like you have to respond to it. I will try and cut it back more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The cubist looking stuff is experimenting with syntax and correspondence.

Barely got nothing done today.

Name:  july22Modulation.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  july22perspective.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  69.2 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We all have those days

More 1 point..
    Name:  po1_july23_2014.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  208.0 KB

And shapes.
    Name:  shapes_july23_2014.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  137.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Participles. Form rounding. Form turning. Form pointing. Short sentences. If you look at something out of the corner of your eye it's indefinite, the shape and form are indefinite, but you can see it's directionality - whether it's upright or vertical etc., also it's location and proportion, color and motion. Directionality and motion are important things to observe, look at them from the corner of your eye, they precede and underlie delineation.
    I tried to scribble these to make a point but didn't do a good job, they're a little too delineated.

Name:  july23syntax.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  july23modulation.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  102.6 KB

Something I got today. The vanishing points of the diagonals of a square are situated on the horizon
    (which is just the set of all the vanishing points from the lines than can be drawn on parallel planes) at a distance from the center vanishing point equal to the distance of the eyes from the surface, about 1.5 feet when in writing position. Finding the vanishing point is a matter of looking parallel to the foreshortened plane, the vanishing point will be where the eye line intersects the picture plane. Basically it's all reduced down to the first principle of 1 point perspective, that parallels radiate from/towards a point. My strategy: turn the object's plane in relation to the picture plane, then look in the direction parallel to it, then imaginatively extend the paper and find the point where the line of vision intersects it.

I drew a square with it's diagonals. Then walked around drawing it from life, the object being to memorize the appearance of 45 and 90 degree angles.

Name:  july23perspective.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  96.6 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  july24modulation.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  july24perspective.jpg
Size:  25.8 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was beginning to think I would never get back on this site Well, I couldn't get much done over the last couple of days anyways. Sigh.

Name:  shapes_july24_2014.jpg
Size:  117.2 KB

Name:  po1_july24_2014.jpg
Size:  115.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  july25modulation.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  july25perspective.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  23.8 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  july26modulation.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  july26perspective.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  16.7 KB

Thread hiatus begins.

Last edited by armando; July 27th, 2014 at 01:17 PM.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for sharing this imaginative stuff with us!! It seems more practical than thinking. These types of sketches show tremendous creativity within your art form.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook