Sketchbook: The Journey Continued!!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Journey Continued!!

HI EVERYONE, THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY NEW SKETCHBOOK!

It has been several years since I became inactive in CA.org (well, around 3 years?). A ton of things has happened since; mostly led me to be able to support both my girlfriend and my life, which is a good thing. And right now I'm aiming to marry her next year, hopefully.

Since the death of my old sketchbook, I've tried to make some living from my (poor) drawing. I did some freelance works in the early days, although I found it very demanding but unsatisfying job for me (both on the earning and the artistic aspect).

Thankfully, those horrid days where I never had any time to sharpen my skills are long gone. For now, I work as a microstock contributor for vector illustration on more than a dozen agencies. The works (albeit the low pay) aren't stressful and I have the excellent opportunity to create my own time, which means I'm able to take some time between works to study and improve my art

I intend to take more care of this new SB as the starting point for my (continued) journey. For those several years I felt really lonely, just like I had lost many precious friends that accompanied me before. Through this SB, I intend to improve myself as well as connect to other artist better than in the past. Although right now I could only take my studies and imagination drawing slowly (alternating with my work and finishing my uni degree), I will try to upload my artworks every week or two weeks.

Regards,
    Husni Bramantyo a.k.a BluezAce

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BluezAce; May 10th, 2014 at 07:42 AM.
    Visit my Sketchbook!!

Don't forget to check out this hot SB too!!
    Seraph Fawkes
    Novbert

Finally I met some fellow comrade from Indonesia
    witcrack
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For my first posting, it will be a study I did after reading an interesting old post from Mr. James Gurney on his blog. I decided to do it as a challenge for myself. This is the post:

"CURE FOR MIDDLE VALUE MUMBLING"

Middle value mumbling is the common tendency to mix all your colors in midrange tones, rather than pushing them to either the light or the dark. The "game's rules" for the cure from Mr. Gurney are:
    1) Bring your sketchbook to a restaurant, bus station, lecture hall, or waiting room.
    2) Draw the scene very lightly in pencil, just to work out the shapes.
    3) Choose a drawing tool that only makes black shapes, such as a wide calligraphy marker or a water brush filled with black ink.
    4) Define all the shapes as either white or black. If the scene is strongly lit, you can make the shadows totally black and the light areas white.
    5) There are two rules:
    a. DONíT DRAW OUTLINES. Let one black area run into another. Let white areas merge together. Resist the temptation to draw boundaries.
    b. DONíT DRAW MIDDLE TONES.
    6) Now erase the pencil lines.

Since I grew up reading Japanese manga everyday, drawing in line approach is carved very deeply inside my mind. It has been a while since I trying to figure out the starting point in learning about value and more painterly approach. I think this study is a good first step toward it.

Name:  2014-05-01.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  166.0 KBName:  2014-05-01b.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  169.6 KB
    Name:  2014-05-01c.jpg
Size:  163.7 KBName:  2014-05-01d.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  134.9 KB
    Name:  2014-05-01e.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  111.1 KBName:  2014-05-01f.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  144.1 KB
    Name:  2014-05-01g.jpg
Size:  155.7 KBName:  2014-05-01h.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  142.0 KB
    Name:  2014-05-01i.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  136.6 KBName:  2014-05-01k.jpg
Size:  130.2 KB
    Name:  2014-05-01j.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  154.5 KBName:  2014-05-01l.jpg
Size:  165.8 KB

It took me more than 2 weeks to finish this study. A very slow pace that happened because I'm not fond of life-drawing and found it quite difficult to get the scenes that piqued my curiosity. I usually did life-drawing only for studies, especially anatomy.

Unfortunately I forgot about the tools (brush or wide marker) and used cheap black marker with small tip instead. That's why the shapes on my sketches are so rigid. Although the reason I kept using it was mainly because of the cheap price and available everywhere in my town.

I also don't know if I did this study correctly, since I only did what I understood from the rules. Some mistakes maybe unintentional, and some I did it consciously. However, I'm happy that this challenge forced me to step out of my comfort zone. Going to many places that I usually wouldn't go, and learning to see everything around me differently. Drawing under the blazing sun that made my head spinning, or realizing it was almost midnight when I arrived at home. Being watched by everybody as if I were an already-extinct animal. Bringing lunch meal and drink everyday, resting before trying to find another scene to draw. It was really a pleasant experience for me.

Visit my Sketchbook!!

Seraph Fawkes
    Novbert

witcrack

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing! this is actually a friggin incredibly hard style to pull off well i think and one of the most simple and effective used in design and storytelling.

you should definitely do more of these! also you should continue to experiment as im sure u do but keep in mind that it would be a great thing for you to re-apply this style to work later down the track

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Lyndsay Harper
    Thank you! I agree with your opinion, when I sketched those black-and-white studies I just felt that I often saw that style on many comic books (Mike Mignola's Hellboy, etc). I love how those great works display strong sense of design on the composition.

Maybe after I finish some of my work, I will do some of them again on my free time (hopefully I'll be able to create a better drawing habit than now). Also, thank you for your suggestion. I'll try to create some personal artwork based on that study in few days and post it here!

================================================== ================================================== ==================

Since I considered african american character as one of my (many) weaknesses, I did small study on it. The purpose of this study is trying to "get to know" the type of their face, don't try to hard to you recognize some of them because I didn't try to nail the likeness of the faces. The studies were referenced from images I could find, plus on the bottom I tried to draw african american man and woman on several positions from my imagination just to check if I learned something.

Name:  2014-05-07.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  376.4 KB

Also, bedtime doodles after that, only to found my marker had ran out of the juice. Had some fun time drawing the "crazy" expression of the girl.

Name:  2014-05-07b.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  502.8 KB

Visit my Sketchbook!!

Seraph Fawkes
    Novbert

witcrack

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little update. Actually I did the sketch of this one last month, but only had the time to vectorize it yesterday...
    Name:  2014-05-09.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  143.7 KB

Visit my Sketchbook!!

Seraph Fawkes
    Novbert

witcrack

Members who have read this thread: 9