Birdhouse

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Birdhouse

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Birdhouse

Hi, this is my first post on CA and I am hoping it will be the first of many.

This is a piece that I recently completed, and I wanted to get critique on it. I feel like I have plateaued in the past year or so, and I don't know how to push past it. I don't have anyone irl that I can really talk to and get strong feedback from, so here I am.

I basically am just looking for advice on how to improve my style and make more beautiful images. I know those critique goals are pretty vague, but I guess I don't know specifically what I am looking for. If anyone has anything at all they might suggest, I am open and happy to hear it.

Thanks

Name:  Birdhouse-16x20-A.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  675.2 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I think this image is overall quite nice, the ribcage is very good looking, but depending on what you want of the image, I think it could use making it clearer. Right now I'm sure that the black details in the wrens look good when seen up close, but in this size they're pretty much just messy smudges and should be taken into account if this would be a shirt image or poster or anything seen in small size/afar. Also thought I don't think it's a big issue with this one, the birds have more of a "pasted on" quality, as they are not interacting with each other in any way (like even looking at each other like they're deliberately ignoring each other), which isn't bad in this kind of work but if you want to make actual scenes with figures, pay attention to that. Here's some tweaks:
    Name:  burd.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  93.9 KB

Last edited by TinyBird; May 3rd, 2014 at 03:23 AM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a really nice image, the colours work very well I think.

But yeah I agree with TinyBird about the birds, they do look like smudges from afar, perhaps there could be some way to make them stand out or make them sharper in some way from a distance?

The only other thing is, I think I can see what you're going for with the flat colours and texture you have used, but can't help feeling that even just a a shadow colour and a highlight colour would make the image pop so much more.

Anyway good luck!

"Draw me like one of your French girls."

My Blog > http://louisasepiphanies.blogspot.com

Members who have read this thread: 18