What am I even doing?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What am I even doing?

Well, I've decided to post (another) sketchbook, since my last one had all of two pages. So, basically, long time lurker, first time poster. Also, a little background, I'm 17, attending Interlochen Center for the Arts, and mostly due a lot of digital art. I want to say I want to go into animation, but it seems like everyone says that these days (though not of people actually get into it). So, I'll some sort of illustrator. Also, sup Spud, Uyeno, and Sinix?
    Oh, and I'm currently trying to focus on heads.

Name:  scrap018_a_CA.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  362.2 KBName:  scrap016_a_CA.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  206.5 KB

Last edited by GraphiX; May 1st, 2014 at 04:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lurkers unite! lol... Is a welcome back in order? :p and keep drawing

...i need to post some new stuff too

Obey the principles without being bound by them. -Bruce Lee

My Sketchbook

My Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa. We joined in the same month. XD Cheers, mate. Love the flow of your figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice start! Reminds a lot of me when I was first starting. Also some more inspiration you should check out BahiJD if you haven't already. Super inspirational animator. Remember to fill out those sketchbooks and draw everyday if your'e looking for improvement. Good luck on your journey!

"What are these barriers that keep people from reaching anywhere near their potential? Fear or laziness?" -Waking life
    Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start, fellow lurker Very unique sketches! Hope to see more soon!

Sketchbook - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=277664

"He who has a why to live can bear any how."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh, update. Following Uyeno-sensei XD. I did 2 self portraits (from life). I'm quite pleased with them, because they're about 20 mins a piece, and usually it takes me longer to capture a likeliness. Anyway, everything else from imagination, and also I couldn't draw tonight, because my computer hates me, so these are from last night. C&C welcome!Name:  scrap020_a_CA.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  347.4 KB

My Sketchbook

"The doer alone learneth."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i get allot of impatience with these, which is something i suffer from myself. It's easy to do allot of these fundamentals studies in a hurry but if you really want to get a strong grasp of how to draw something you really need to study it.
    fast rough sketching is great when you are experimenting with ideas and variations but when you are teaching yourself to draw something as complex as the head of something you need to slow down and pay attention to every facet of its composition.

one of the brains strongest functions is pattern recognition. Once you have taught yourself enough dimensions of something i.e the face, you will be able to render them much better at a faster pace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh! Arms! I noticed that I suck at arms, so back to Bridgman. I plan on just focusing on each small part of the body until I completely cover it. Also, if anyone has a drawing or something very clearly delineating and defining the groups of the Extensors, Flexors, and the Brachio radials, I'd love for you to post it. I'm having a little trouble with them in relation to each other.Name:  scrap021_a_CA.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  229.5 KB

My Sketchbook

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies. Make sure you master them from imagination without having to look back for reference after copying. That's what makes studies worth while.

"What are these barriers that keep people from reaching anywhere near their potential? Fear or laziness?" -Waking life
    Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketches and love the studies keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start, great studies, welcome to the journey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PengRoach &Paladis: Cheers. You both have some nice stuff going on.

Uyeno: Thanks. Actually, only the 'bottom row' of arms is reffed.

Yay! More arms. Torsos as well. I probably need to work on hands....

Name:  scrap022_a_CA.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  403.7 KBName:  scrap023_a_CA.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  975.8 KB

My Sketchbook

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start , I loved ur sketches and I will be following , something to recommend is to practice the basic shapes " square-sercile-sphers-rectangle-cubes-cylinders" in other words form and devolope good understanding for it , yeah it's kinda boring but with time u will not need them that much .. ctrlpaint.com has really great foundation videos and sinix also has good artistic videos talking about art and you will learn tone from them . Wish you best of luck

Last edited by Mukkled; June 13th, 2014 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ehe. Sorry I haven't been updating recently. I've been... busy... yeah, busy.... Anyway, I figured I should go back to some torso anatomy stuff. Trying to get the contours right, and came up with my own little method from bridgman. I think I'm going to try arms next. No refs. Also, I need to do more reffed stuff.

Thanks Mukkled! I'll try to do some more form stuff.

Name:  scrap027_a_CA.png
Views: 273
Size:  1.27 MB

P.S. I've been listening to a lot of Streetlight Manifesto while I work.

My Sketchbook

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo hoo! Sketchies!

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your work! Keep up the awesome.

FURTHER MOTIVATION FOR BEING ON THE SIDE OF AWESOME:

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Misty Feather For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bwuuaaa? An update?! Well, I've resorted to just copying Uyeno, cause he's that good. Speaking of which; Uyeno, post more hands for me to study. Also, a piece I painted that was originally from my sketchbook (I'll get around to scanning more of it.)
    Name:  scrap031_a_CA.png
Views: 226
Size:  1.16 MB
    Name:  profile_final_small.png
Views: 229
Size:  1.28 MB

My Sketchbook

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAHA whaaaaaaat dude I suck! Nevertheless thanks man LOOK UP TO ARTISTS BETTER THAN ME BECAUSE I'M CRAP LOL I take like 70 percent of my inspiration from Kim Jung Gi! I really like his way of drawing girls and faces! Check him out and do studies from him instead Your piece is really nice I like the water effect on his face and the style!

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha. Of course there are artists better than you, but you're still pretty damn good. Besides, I feel like I learn artists that haven't achieved 'mastery' because you can see how they learn in their drawings. Besides, you're my inspiration, dude!

My Sketchbook

-Friedrich Nietzsche

21. The Following User Says Thank You to GraphiX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmn yeah that actually makes sense! Thanks a lot man You inspire me too!

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Totally in love with your style man, awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks opanic. Two things I really have difficulty with are arms (damn arms, who needs 'em anyways) and thinking of good poses. I do think that my torsos are improving, though. More mostly Uyeno studies, but my stuff at the bottom witht the little "VA"s next to them.
    Name:  scrap033_a_CA.png
Views: 192
Size:  1.06 MB
    P.S. I've thought of a saying for when I don't know what to draw. WWUD: What Would Uyeno Draw?

My Sketchbook

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! thanks for stopping by.
    Just curious, if you had a choice to be a professional in any art related field what would you want to be?

In your first post you said that you were interested in animation but then you said you would pursue illustration because not many people make it. Those are two pretty differing fields so it may help to clarify your goals so you can create some kind of focus plan.

Also, as I have been finding out, you can grow a lot if you focus and practice intensely for a consistent period of time. For example, you said you have trouble with arms. Then practice just that for a week or however long it takes you to understand it really well so in a couple months you don't have to restudy it.

Lastly, as awesome as Uyeno is, I think you should also strive to find your own identity. Maybe write down a couple things that you really like about the way he draws and try to find similar characteristics in other artists so you have multiple sources and interpretations. I think you will be able to better find your identity that way.

-------
    and ask yourself this... What would graphix like to be able to draw?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to -CA-Disciple For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, and not to refute your point, but I feel like illustration and animation are very similar. Animation is just moving illustration. Also, yeah, I should also draw from other artists, but I'm not worried too terribly right now on finding my own style (although, I have some stuff in my sketchbook which is inherently mine, again, I'l try to scan them) but also Uyeno's bodies, which I have been studying, as opposed to his heads, are fairly realistic. Just some subtle exaggerations which other favorite artists of mine do (see Morimoto and Spudonkey). But I will do some focus work on arms.

My Sketchbook

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, don't worry about style for now I think for most people it comes naturally as an interpretation of life or a byproduct of their process.

I found a video that elaborates on everything I wanted to say about identity and focusing on those specific goals.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piKV...V0cSvGtbBtHw_w

The way I see it, art is like a game, we have limited resources which are time and energy. You want to invest those resources in the areas that you would like to improve at most. Based on my observation, the common thread among the artists you mentioned is that they all have sick design sense with strong fundamentals in perspective, form and gesture.

Since you mentioned Morimoto also check out Tatsuyuki Tanaka.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand where you're coming from, I really do. But, I think you should also draw from life, do studies and stuff like that. 'Cause that's what Uyeno is doing too.

Keep up the great work anyhow! You'll improve as long as you keep pushing.

Make sure that after you do some Uyeno studies that you're comparing the figure to actual figures in poses-- Like at www.quickposes.com . I find when I do studies, it helps to cement what I've learned by switching in that manner.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update! Woot! Unfortunately, a small update. I've been a little busy with stuff (like getting my scuba license ), but I still do have some stuff. The first painting is done in krita, and the other is a face I modeled in Blender. It's been a while since I've picked it up, so I figured I'd give it a go. My topology isn't too bad, I think.
    Name:  girl walking field_small.png
Views: 133
Size:  551.4 KB
    Name:  for_ca_face.png
Views: 134
Size:  117.4 KB

My Sketchbook

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Both animations and illustrations tell a story. What do you have to say and who might want to hear it?? I picked up drawing technique too slowly. I could do expressive heads, get a good likeness, and had something of a style (scratchy), but it wasn't until I started copying skulls that my heads were in proportion and shaded properly. It's a matter of knowing how to create three dimension with just line (see the work of Egon Schiele, Japanese woodblock prints), but also knowing how to create three dimensions with light and shadow (see perhaps Hopper, Velasquez or copy or draw sculpture). You want be able to look at anything, as if through a sheet of glass (I suggest you mark out a grid on a piece of plexiglass or something with a frame or taped edges - use markers or pen), rig it up in front of something you want to draw and just trace. There is more to it than that, to indicate gesture, energy, movement, perspective....but it can't all be done at once! What I found interesting to do lately, because I have a habit of losing my sense of perspective, getting bigger and bigger or smaller as I go along, is to start with some item in the middle of a composition and draw outward from there -- it gives me something to measure everything else against (look up how to measure with a pencil). Most people start with the outline of the head to proportion the figure, but you could start with one eye or the nose. You have to practice a lot of different things to see what you enjoy doing the most or is the fastest or most practical or whatever gets your assignment done. Most things tend to have straighter lines and less curves than one would think. For example, if you check out some photos or drawings of heads in profile, you will see the nose poking out a bit, and the chin, the eyes slightly set back, but it's almost really a straight line from the top of the head to the chin! Don't be shy to draw in guidelines! I think your drawings are very good and good luck with school!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to RFalconeArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving the new work GraphiX! That guy has a really pixar feel to it except for the eyes haha. Can't wait to see more from you if you continue with the modeling thing! Also would recommend enabling your pressure sensitivity on your brush and sketch digitally like that! It's a lot more easier because you can create basic shapes and stuff lightly and just draw over it darker. But if you still wanna draw without the pressure sensitivity you should put on shape dynamics or the size sensitivity so it gets you much cleaner sharper lines.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Uyeno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, thanks you two! RFalcone, yeah, I need to do some more basic studies. Although, I don't really like sight sizing (with the pencil). I feel like it doesn't ingrain the sense of proportion as much. It's great for scientific or architectural drawings, but I don't feel like it's quite as good for learning. Hey Uyeno! Actually, I always use pressure sensitivity. The pen I've been using lately is just not very dynamic (no opacity dynamic-ness and very little line variation). I'll try to play around with some more brushes and maybe do a little with a big blocky brush for blocking in values. I'll be in New York for a few days, but after that, I have some updates for you guys.

My Sketchbook

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful, light and airy painting, and a very fun-looking sculpt! You're improving well! Keep it up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 118