Leitungswasser - Composition 1.1

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Leitungswasser - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Leitungswasser - Composition 1.1

Hey there!

I'm also joining this workshop, here's my first study. I chose this artwork made by Gustave Klimt because I think it's a wonderful example for continuity. His use of perspective and the implied lines of the little balconies make the room look really big and three-dimensional.
    I was strictly limiting myself to keep within 1 hour of drawing. Sadly my values are really off, I'll keep more attention to them in my next study.

Name:  hust.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  125.0 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work and good start. You already mentioned your values being off but also pay attention to your shapes and where hard lines are. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see what you have for us next.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And number two, again within the 1 hour limit.
    This time, it's a portrait of Rembrandt himself. I chose this picture because I found the way he used contrasting values and focal falloff to emphasize his face very appealing. I've had many problems to keep myself from rendering to many details, his face is still very off (especially the nose) but overall I'm fairly content with this one. More so than with the last one, that piece was just super busy.

Anyway, feel free to critique whatever you like, cheers

Name:  numeroduo.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  282.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Number three! This one was really fun, the first time I tried my hand at a textural brush in Photoshop (not perfect I know). It's a landscape illustration by Frederic Edwin Church. I really liked the composition in that one, they way he used the tree to frame the sunset.
    (Again within the time limit)

C + C very welcome, cheers!

Name:  awyeah.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  227.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one is made by Waterhouse. I think I'm spending a bit too much time on picking the right picture to draw but this one is so awesome was a no brainer. The way the picture tells a story and the women pops right into your eye is impressive (even more so in color).
    And a little side question, I'm having problems to get myself to draw, it's super fun when I'm doing it but there is massive resistance to get myself to do it, any thoughts?

(Again 60 minutes)
    Name:  waterhouse.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  173.3 KB

Last edited by leitungswasser; May 4th, 2014 at 09:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, I can see a real improvement in your values and you did a good job capturing the gesture in that last one.

As for getting motivation to draw, you probably just need to find some inspiration. You can try looking at other peoples art or go to life drawing classes, the museum, or the zoo and sketch there. It's also a matter of figuring out what you're in the mood to draw/paint. Sometimes I'll only be in the mood to focus on anatomy and other times I want to do landscapes. Just try to find something that gets you excited to paint. If that's not working, sometimes you just have to force yourself to do it even when you're not in the mood. Having a deadline can help with that. I find it does get easier the more you try. Hope this helps. Keep it up

Thanks
    Thanked 11,290 Times in 2,825 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start on these. You are headed in the right direction.

As I said to some others earlier... When you get your shapes worked out well, pay very close attention to the values. You want to match the values you see as closely as you can. It is important to be very honest about what you are seeing. try to put the accurate value down with each stroke as otherwise you end up having to fix things along the way and being accurate will save you time. Really take the time to observe and compare and choose the right value. If you are off, adjust it, don't keep working and come back to it. You are doing great...just need to focus in on value a little more.

Keep it up.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for commenting!

@PixelObsession Thanks a lot, I will try it out the next time I'm getting lazy
    @Jason ManleyThank you for the advice! I still have a lot of work to do when it comes to prioritizing shape and value.

Edit: little side note, I think I will do revisions of some pieces once I passed #10.

Here are two more, I'll try to be a little bit more elaborate with the composition analysis. English isn't my first language, I have the habit to just outline my thought process.

Why did I chose this artwork/What did I notice?
    First of all, it just looks super badass in color. More seriously, there's a lot of emphasis on the sunset in the center of the picture, firstly by the stark contrast in brightness to its surroundings (even more pronounced in color) and secondly by the contrast of detail and economy. The clouds lead the eye to the second point of focus, the tall mountain to the left. Which would almost hidden if it was not for the two/three very bright reflections on their sides. You've also got some variety and rythm in the trees, following a line towards the river at the bottom. And all in all a very appealing illustration.
    Name:  beeeer.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  115.1 KB
    Why did I chose this artwork/What did I notice?
    I wanted to study something a bit less busy, but now I know that this doesn't mean less challenging. There is a lot of economy in this one, it makes the two little ships and the mountain pass in the background more prominent. There is a lot of repetition of horizontal lines that kind of break the image into parts. I think it makes it hard for the eye to follow a clear line, therefore my view wanders around the image taking in the overall mood of a calm sunset.
    I'm not really content with this one, especially with the edge of the mountains. I haven't found a good technique for me to draw clean edges, I will focus on this a bit more (aside from shapes & values).
    Name:  beer.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  118.0 KB

Last edited by leitungswasser; May 6th, 2014 at 07:55 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,290 Times in 2,825 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice job so far. I really want you to pay very close attention to your value choices. You can sometimes go with more contrast than exists and I think you can solve that for the next images from here moving forward. Do not settle for almost the right value. Only be satisfied with the most accurate value you can choose. This will get you much closer to where you need to be. keep up the good work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Members who have read this thread: 1