Owl Mask Shaman.....thing..

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Owl Mask Shaman.....thing..

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  1.07 MB

Name:  Capture2.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  756.2 KB

Haven't been active on the site for a bit or really critiqued for a while now so be gentle :p (not really be honest)

Anyway my major concern areas are the color and pallet. My goal was to communicate the sharp white and reds of the costume, but I also wanted to show it with these automaton that would have a green light source. So I hope I communicated the light of the lanterns well enough while preserving the integrity of the costume. I'm also attaching a black and white in case anyone wants to examine the composition from a value perspective.

Michael Dickerson

portfolio

sketch blog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The problem with the lanterns is that their light won't show if everything else is lighter than them. If you have a candle in the light of day, it will not give any real light because the sun/indoor lamps give out much more light. The same is the issue in this image, you can see in the value pic that the lanters have the same value as the background, when they basically should have the lightest value in the image, as their saturation alone won't communicate them being a light source, if that is what you want.

There was a similar issue in this thread, I suggest you check it out for more explanation:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...me-Fix-my-Face

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a very good point and knowing that has been my struggle since the beginning. I developed the two ideas separately and I'm not able to find a good example of how red looks under green light. Knowing how the color mixes I feel like it will just look earth toned, but can't really get good reference. I'm trying to break out of doing limited color pallets and all the reference I can find of green light sources tend to be very monochromatic or analogous regardless of local color. Also, I want to keep things feeling light (almost early morning stroll) and try to avoid a dark moody feel and I'm unsure of how to communicate the idea of the lanterns without resorting to a scene that feels like "dark of night"

I like the idea of the bright red and white in the costume, but I'm beginning to think I should rethink it to fit the environment more. Or maybe I should consider doing more than one painting one with a more a limited color pallet focusing on the lanterns and one focusing on the character and costume.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a very good point and knowing that has been my struggle since the beginning. I developed the two ideas separately and I'm not able to find a good example of how red looks under green light. Knowing how the color mixes I feel like it will just look earth toned, but can't really get good reference. I'm trying to break out of doing limited color pallets and all the reference I can find of green light sources tend to be very monochromatic or analogous regardless of local color. Also, I want to keep things feeling light (almost early morning stroll) and try to avoid a dark moody feel and I'm unsure of how to communicate the idea of the lanterns without resorting to a scene that feels like "dark of night"

I like the idea of the bright red and white in the costume, but I'm beginning to think I should rethink it to fit the environment more. Or maybe I should consider doing more than one painting one with a more a limited color pallet focusing on the lanterns and one focusing on the character and costume.

Michael Dickerson

portfolio

sketch blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by silentknights View Post
    I'm trying to break out of doing limited color pallets
    If that's what you want, I'd suggest setting up a still life to practice from. If you are used to limited palettes and try to break away from them with imagined stuff that's as hard to ref as this, it'll be much more harder than needed. And they don't have to be boring, like you could buy a dinosaur toy, light and paint that and so on.

Also, you could try changing the background colour. They are both greenish, so green light will not be visible from green background. Or you could keep the majority of the background light, but do a shadowy corner for the figure and the light, etc...

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, yeah going back to a basic study is a good idea. I think I'll try that since it's hard to find natural reference for some lighting conditions. I was able to find a reference for a lite lantern in day time and made it black and white and it does show that the lights should still be the brightest points. Also the photo was orange light against blue sky and did have the color contrast you mentioned. So I'll give that a try as well and be more aware of the value scale.

Michael Dickerson

portfolio

sketch blog

Members who have read this thread: 18