Unfinished piece looking for critique - Wind Spirit

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unfinished piece looking for critique - Wind Spirit

This drawing portrays a spirit of wind making her usual "dance to control the wind" on a clear night.

I had some problems with the light, I put the spirit in front of the moon, but not wanted to leave the character in darkness, so I put clouds to reflect the light of the moon to give more focus to the dress and tried make the floating fabric shine, to give more focus on the face and hair. Tell me what you think.

Light sources:
    - Moon
    - Clouds
    - Floating Fabric

Name:  digitalizar0002.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  269.8 KB

Sorry for the bad english

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One of the problems is simply that pencils can make it harder to get a large palette of values.
    But you've missed more values and didn't use the light enough. If everything was darker, except for the parts of her body and clothes that reflect direct moonlight, and the moon itself, you'd build better focus points and so on.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stephou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critique! I will try to plan the focus points better next time. Light is a complex thing, I have to practice more

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well the problem with the pencil is that you're stuck with a tiny 'brush' so to speak. I think you could try more sketchy drawing, using the eraser more often, while not focusing too much on getting everything right on the first go. Maybe this would allow you to work better on the lighting and values.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Dankoy,

Yeah I think you could use a lot more contrast in this image to really make the character 'pop' out. One easy thing you can do is make the background around her much, much darker, use a softer pencil or something, if it takes ages to fill in this space you can do some really cool things with crosshatching, you could experiment with that technique and see how it looks? Also you mention that the fabric is meant to be shiny, I'd recommend working in much more sharper values into the fabric in that case, things only look shiny when they have sharp contrasts in them because they are reflecting so much light.

Also the only other thing jumping out at me is her neck and chin area looks a tad off, also her right foot. It might be worth looking at your reference and check it next to your image and you might be able to see where you went wrong. Even if it's just for your reference for next time.

But other than that this is lovely image, beautiful idea and you are portraying it very well.

xLouisax

"Draw me like one of your French girls."

My Blog > http://louisasepiphanies.blogspot.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to xLouisax For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by stephou View Post
    Well the problem with the pencil is that you're stuck with a tiny 'brush' so to speak. I think you could try more sketchy drawing, using the eraser more often, while not focusing too much on getting everything right on the first go. Maybe this would allow you to work better on the lighting and values.
    I use a 0.7mm mechanical pencil to do my drawings, so yeah, is a little difficulty to achive the right results with it sometimes(although I think the fault is more mine than of the pencil). I'll try to better plan drawings, the problem is resist go to details before checking if everything is correct. Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by xLouisax View Post
    Hi Dankoy,

Yeah I think you could use a lot more contrast in this image to really make the character 'pop' out. One easy thing you can do is make the background around her much, much darker, use a softer pencil or something, if it takes ages to fill in this space you can do some really cool things with crosshatching, you could experiment with that technique and see how it looks? Also you mention that the fabric is meant to be shiny, I'd recommend working in much more sharper values into the fabric in that case, things only look shiny when they have sharp contrasts in them because they are reflecting so much light.

Also the only other thing jumping out at me is her neck and chin area looks a tad off, also her right foot. It might be worth looking at your reference and check it next to your image and you might be able to see where you went wrong. Even if it's just for your reference for next time.

But other than that this is lovely image, beautiful idea and you are portraying it very well.

xLouisax
    Thanks for the critique! I'll try to use crosshatching and work better in contrasts. I have to get back work with the basics, it's clear that I have not much idea of ​​what I'm doing

And about the anatomical problems, I see what you meant, but as I have not used reference for this drawing, I think I'll search for similar images and work on the errors. Thanks for the advices and glad that you liked the drawing!

Last edited by Dankoy; May 3rd, 2014 at 09:52 AM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dankoy,

I would caution against doing any further values until your character is anatomically accurate. Right now her upper body seems very long and slender, which doesn't match the lower body very well. Stretch it out a bit more and if you need to, look up some basic proportions of the female body (fashion models are good). Keep going, love to see an update on this.

"It is ten per cent how you draw, and ninety per cent what you draw. "
    -Andrew Loomis

Check out my sketchbook!

My Profile Albums

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RomanRiot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RomanRiot View Post
    Hey dankoy,

I would caution against doing any further values until your character is anatomically accurate. Right now her upper body seems very long and slender, which doesn't match the lower body very well. Stretch it out a bit more and if you need to, look up some basic proportions of the female body (fashion models are good). Keep going, love to see an update on this.
    Thanks for the critique! I'll study the flaws and work in a new piece as soon I fell more capable. Thanks again!

Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 29