PixelObsession - Composition 1.1 - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PixelObsession - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Thanked 11,256 Times in 2,794 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You are making it look easy. I am now looking forward to seeing how you handle the next batch of assignments after this one. For the remaining images I would like to see you really challenge yourself. I know none of these are easy, and I just want you to think about it. You are hitting that mark of consistency and accuracy (the texture in the Shishkin is excellent btw...), that tells me you need to keep pushing and reaching to challenge yourself. Perhaps choose images with dynamic figures in them or challenging perspectives. It's up to you.

Keep up the great work.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. W.O.W. they hardcore cool, Pixel, what an inspiration.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to illoostrader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Pixel! Have to confess I've been drooling all over your pictures.. Really beautiful.

Anyhow, Thank you for your earlier answer and sorry about this very delayed response to this:
    "What about with your paintings? What do you think is going wrong when you detail them?"

Well, if I do a loose sketch/study (which feels great and full of life), when I start doing details, they reveal an increasing amount of problems.. and when I fix/twist/re-work, it just brings new problems.
    But if I do a very thorough and detailed sketch and try to wrangle all the problems before painting.. Then somehow I'm just copying the "sketch" and things are lifeless.. furthermore, by that time I've usually figured out some better point of view or other solution that would improve the picture massively, but would also require starting from scratch.

Actually am not sure if it is the detail or just the longer time spent with the pic that reveals the problems and makes things fall apart.. :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to samwaulu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by samwaulu View Post
    Hello, Pixel! Have to confess I've been drooling all over your pictures.. Really beautiful.

Anyhow, Thank you for your earlier answer and sorry about this very delayed response to this:
    "What about with your paintings? What do you think is going wrong when you detail them?"

Well, if I do a loose sketch/study (which feels great and full of life), when I start doing details, they reveal an increasing amount of problems.. and when I fix/twist/re-work, it just brings new problems.
    But if I do a very thorough and detailed sketch and try to wrangle all the problems before painting.. Then somehow I'm just copying the "sketch" and things are lifeless.. furthermore, by that time I've usually figured out some better point of view or other solution that would improve the picture massively, but would also require starting from scratch.

Actually am not sure if it is the detail or just the longer time spent with the pic that reveals the problems and makes things fall apart.. :-)
    Hey Samwaulu, I've been drooling over your work too. It's fantastic! Thanks for getting back to me. It sounds like we're probably having similar problems. Hopefully all this practice will help us both understand what the exact problems are and how to fix them accurately. Do you have a website I could take a look at? I'd like to see your original work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again Jason for the great feedback. I really tried to challenge myself with this study like you suggested. I think I'll probably try something with architecture and a challenging perspective next.

Sorry it's been so long since I posted. I've been really busy and this study took a long time. Drew Struzan is a real master when it comes to portraits. Since most of the faces in this painting are recognizable I think it can be easier for someone viewing it to notice if something is off, so I was really focusing on getting an accurate likeness.

By making Indiana Jones' head the largest Drew Struzan places the most emphasis on it. The placement of the rest of the characters moving around the brightly lit skull creates continuity making you look at each of them in a circular motion. The foliage around the border is an example of economy.
    Attachment 1977261

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PixelObsession; June 2nd, 2014 at 11:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahahahaha!! You fooled me. I was looking at yours and comparing it to the original looking for mistakes. hahahaha. That makes me so happy. Thank you for making my whole morning. You are doing great and I can't wait to see where this stuff takes you with your own work. You are building some very impressive observational skills and no doubt the teachings of these masters is going to rub off. Great job.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again Jason, I'm glad to hear I got that close to the original.

Here's my 20th study. I haven't done many paintings with a tilted horizon, so it was good practice. There is continuity from the ships in the bottom right corner pointing towards the mountain in the background and the perspective lines reinforce this. The cliff on the right helps bring balance to the clouds and mountain on the left hand side.
    Name:  Martiniere_study_01.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  273.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    skfllASIDTHA;SKLJ';

^^^ That was my jaw hitting the keyboard. Amazing work! Would you mind if I asked how you work with layers(I.E. many or few)?

'Til death do we art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holly S...,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing works as always O_O
    The Indiana Jones one got me too.
    The last one is very impressive... but it seems you've centered it a bit higher than the original?...
    By the way, I wonder, is it considered cheating if you work "normally" and then tilt your canvas for dramatic effect?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire Shinobi View Post
    skfllASIDTHA;SKLJ';

^^^ That was my jaw hitting the keyboard. Amazing work! Would you mind if I asked how you work with layers(I.E. many or few)?
    Hey Dire Shinobi, thanks for checking out my studies. i work with a lot of layers. I usually try to separate my painting into separate objects and block in each one on a different layer then I lock the transparency and start adding in my lights and darks. As I continue to detail I'll add layers and when I'm happy with it I merge it with the first "block in" layer. I do this for each "object" so that I can continue to keep them on there own layers right down to the end instead of painting in top of all the layers.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PixelObsession For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeCarnevilCat View Post
    Amazing works as always O_O
    The Indiana Jones one got me too.
    The last one is very impressive... but it seems you've centered it a bit higher than the original?...
    By the way, I wonder, is it considered cheating if you work "normally" and then tilt your canvas for dramatic effect?
    Thanks ZeCarevilCat I double checked to see if mine was higher,, like you said, but it doesn't seem to be. I it's just an illusion because of how it's tilted.

I wouldn't call it cheating to tilt it after the fact. I think a lot of people worry too much about cheating, but It shouldn't really matter how a person arrives at their final painting. As long as person's not plagiarizing and trying to pass it off as their own, then whatever process they want to use to create their art is fine by me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelObsession View Post
    Thanks ZeCarevilCat I double checked to see if mine was higher,, like you said, but it doesn't seem to be. I it's just an illusion because of how it's tilted.
    Indeed it is, I checked too. My brain is really playing nasty tricks on me.
    Double great job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep...another showcase worthy study. Great work. Just keep them rolling. You know what to do at this point. I look forward to seeing you get through the assignments after this, given how well you are doing here. Keep rocking!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 52