Looking for people for critiques on my portfolio

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On Earth
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Looking for people for critiques on my portfolio

    Hi guys! This of my best works, hopefully someone would give a some feedback for improvement, I would greatly appreciate that. Thanks!
    Name:  Serenity After A Storm.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  959.2 KB

    Last edited by ArtLiberation; April 26th, 2014 at 11:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    2,597
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Hello, Gabrielle. Overall reaction: you capture mood well, your pieces are well-finished, you seem comfortable with your tools. You need more work on the fundamentals (well, who doesn't?). Life drawing would help enormously (anatomy, lighting).

    If you want more helpful feedback, try picking one image and posting it here. Multiple images often don't get very useful commentary, and off-site images frequently aren't looked at at all.

    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On Earth
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Hello, Gabrielle. Overall reaction: you capture mood well, your pieces are well-finished, you seem comfortable with your tools. You need more work on the fundamentals (well, who doesn't?). Life drawing would help enormously (anatomy, lighting).

    If you want more helpful feedback, try picking one image and posting it here. Multiple images often don't get very useful commentary, and off-site images frequently aren't looked at at all.
    Right. Thanks, I will post one here

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey this looks good man. I think you could really bring up certain elements to make it pop though. The rock you have in the foreground with the fabric tied to it should be a lot bigger. None of the solid elements you have are even going higher than 50% of the image. Making the foreground stone bigger would make it more easily read as closer to the camera. Next the rock in the distance with the circles/lines on it looks like it is important, but I don't know how. Maybe add some people next to it for scale. You also have Some of the mountains in the background pushed away with atmospheric perspective, but not much. I would say work with this a lot more to add a lot more depth to the background. Also referencing and detailing the clouds would help it a lot. Right now they are just a big haze with no form.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Disclaimer: I'm a complete beginner. Feel free to ignore any and all advice and opinion that I provide below.

    Generally, I like the texture and feel of the piece. The green/yellowish color scheme make it seem magical as well as ancient, to me. I think your values read fairly well too.

    Areas that could be improved/explored, imo:
    - try applying the rule of third to the composition
    - generally, the foreground would benefit from more details and more contrast to attract the eye (in this case, the main point of interest is presumably the sword with the stone with the ribbon, rather then the stone with the strange designed near the center -- you could make the front stone bigger (to match perspective as well) as someone suggested, but also put the pattern on that stone?)
    - the material of the sword, the stone and the ribbon kind all seem similar, except for colors -- the sword should presumably shine more and reflect light in more interesting ways? be sharper?
    - the mountains in the back all kind of look the same shape or almost, with different sizes (rather generic as well)?
    - the general perspective of the piece seems off to me (for example: the sword seems somewhat skewed but maybe that's just me).

    Some quick thoughts.

    -D

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On Earth
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Thanks for your reply! I appreciate it a lot

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I think you would really benefit from some landscape studies.

    Everything seems a bit cloudy and undefined.

    The scale is also very confusing.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    There is no doubt that you have very good technique and you are capable of producing some very detailed works. The color is excellent. There is a fair amount of desaturated areas to balance out your saturated ares.

    Here's a couple things to note,
    I've always been told that the goal of an art piece is to keep the viewers eye in the picture as long as possible. When I loaded the page I thought the image was cut off. There isn't really any solid focus to start with. At first my though was the main focus was the sword, and red scarf, but my eye ran straight off the bottom as I was expecting more. Then I thought the main focus was the grassy patch in the middle because of the high saturation in comparison to the rest of the image. Again it kind of dropped off the bottom of the image. Here are some tips to achieve a better composition.

    -Figure out what you want your main focus to be, and place it using the rule of thirds
    -you can further support it by adding more detail to your focus, and less in your background
    -using accent colors (like you did here) to emphasize your focus
    -check out some references on leading lines to direct the attention to your focus
    -When you have a landscape or a background that displays a lot of depth try not to put your focus in the foreground. Try to achieve a solid foreground, middleground, background.

    I really do like this piece, the color really drew me in from the start. Keep up the good work

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On Earth
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickk View Post
    I think you would really benefit from some landscape studies.

    Everything seems a bit cloudy and undefined.

    The scale is also very confusing.
    Thanks I will try that out!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On Earth
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsecricket View Post
    There is no doubt that you have very good technique and you are capable of producing some very detailed works. The color is excellent. There is a fair amount of desaturated areas to balance out your saturated ares.

    Here's a couple things to note,
    I've always been told that the goal of an art piece is to keep the viewers eye in the picture as long as possible. When I loaded the page I thought the image was cut off. There isn't really any solid focus to start with. At first my though was the main focus was the sword, and red scarf, but my eye ran straight off the bottom as I was expecting more. Then I thought the main focus was the grassy patch in the middle because of the high saturation in comparison to the rest of the image. Again it kind of dropped off the bottom of the image. Here are some tips to achieve a better composition.

    -Figure out what you want your main focus to be, and place it using the rule of thirds
    -you can further support it by adding more detail to your focus, and less in your background
    -using accent colors (like you did here) to emphasize your focus
    -check out some references on leading lines to direct the attention to your focus
    -When you have a landscape or a background that displays a lot of depth try not to put your focus in the foreground. Try to achieve a solid foreground, middleground, background.

    I really do like this piece, the color really drew me in from the start. Keep up the good work
    Wow thanks, I will keep that in mind! Like the others said, I could have made the stone with the sword a lot bigger.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    This is true, but I think you could have grounded the rock and sword and not changed the size at all and it may still work. There's always options

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 34

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook