NSFW - Nudity Is there even work for this kind of art?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Is there even work for this kind of art?

Had to post the 1920 version so that you can read the text. Ooh, he put a hand to push away the words - how "edgy!" Yeah, that's how most of my art looks. A little bit of my writing and layers of pretentious imagery trying to wow the person looking at it.

Posting it at DeviantArt and Renderosity offered no criticism, they give short positive comments and no thought or advice, is that how they want others to comment on their images?

Okay, so the design loosely follows 9 columns, the "brain" is isolated in the middle and the NeoPrint typeface on it makes me regret. Tried to set up a sequence, but the smaller pictures are not quite working and I don't know why. And probably gave up too soon after being sick of looking at it.

The body type is Lao UI, and I chose it based on readability at size 10. I feel kind of blah about this work. It's not "tight" like other designs, but then it is supposed to have some chaos. And I'm confused between art and design, trying to make a fold out page spread into art that has little text and visual hints.

Mostly, it's concerned if this art even works like intended. I can't jump out of my body and view it as a stranger, especially after having looked at this for more than 4 days now. Critique, please? Yes, it does look like a pretentious, angsty poseur made it, or I think it does because I see myself that way.

Sorry about the long post!

Edit:
    Wrong picture version, ignore the top picture.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by canttrustit; April 24th, 2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: wrong picture version
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Hm. I'm not entirely sure of the question.

If you're asking the practical question, whether this has commercial potential...it would be unusual for one person to be hired do all the components of a layout like this. So I'd pick one aspect to concentrate on.

If you're asking about the strength of this as an illustration, the illustrator in me is annoyed at all the stuff on top of it and would like to see it stand alone first.

If you're asking what I think about the meaning of the thing, I'm out.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply! Sorry about being confusing.

whether this has commercial potential...it would be unusual for one person to be hired do all the components of a layout like this.
    That identifies something about the work and about me that I didn't fully realize. Yes, I'm trying to be the layout editor, the logo designer, the writer, the graphic artist / illustrator, and some kind of pseudo-artist all in one just so that, aside from the stock photos, I will have full control over the overall design for this single portfolio entry.

The process is pretty much 1. make something in Photoshop CS6 with stock photos over a grid, 2. write something, fit it to the grid, import to Photoshop 3. make it a layout and add a logo made for the piece. Do everything at the same time in PShop and Illustrator.

What I'm trying to achieve:
    1. Express the brain having its paranoid agenda like it is a hard wired schedule controlling the person
    2. Impress the viewer as a single portfolio entry so that I might be hired as... something
    3. Not look like it's "out of touch," un-hip, un-expressive, and awful

So this piece is trying to tell the potential employer that this person ( me ) might somewhat useful, in what I'm not sure. My question is about the work as a layout, since all of my experience is from being a student layout editor with PShop, Illustrator, Quark. Is it effective as a piece about the process of the brain of a paranoid? To me, mostly yes. But now I think I need to understand why it's not altogether going well before I decided that it was ready to post.

But another question is, where could I possibly end up without specializing? Unemployed? The future is looking scary and bleak.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by canttrustit; April 25th, 2014 at 06:14 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by canttrustit View Post
    2. Impress the viewer as a single portfolio entry so that I might be hired as... something
    [...]
    So this piece is trying to tell the potential employer that this person ( me ) might somewhat useful, in what I'm not sure.
    Well, that's a problem.

Many people, myself included, have trouble deciding on whether to gear their portfolio towards illustration or concept design. Which is still a problem, but at least the two areas are reasonably close to another. It's not optimal, but at least a portfolio like that still reads as the portfolio of a 2D artist/painter/designer.

What you have here is a mixture of... layout, graphic design, photo manipulation... and also, due to the non-commercial kind of topic, it's also quite artsy(-ish).

It's hard to evaluate that as a potential employer, unless someone happens to want to do exactly what you're doing with these pieces.

If you're not even sure yourself what you do... how should a potential employer know?
    I'd say you're trending much more into the direction of graphic design/layout. I don't see real painting/illustration/concept design elements in the images. So you might want to expand on that and do some piece that are more obviously business-oriented (like corporate logos and the like).
    I'm not an expert in graphic design though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    It's hard to evaluate that as a potential employer, unless someone happens to want to do exactly what you're doing with these pieces.
    Thank you! Maybe I can search and find some place that would want these kinds of things. An artsy magazine that likes their artists to be 'tortured' ( not physically )? I'll set aside a puddle of hope of finding such a place to work. It seems that there is more possibility of that than me becoming a doctor, which is what my mother wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    If you're not even sure yourself what you do... how should a potential employer know?

I don't see real painting/illustration/concept design elements in the images. So you might want to expand on that and do some piece that are more obviously business-oriented (like corporate logos and the like).
    Wait! You haven't seen my other, non-design illustrations! Yeah, after taking a moment I definitely don't want to be doing business cards, greetings cards, stationary, packaging, and things that more or less seem implicitly unexciting. Because my typeface sensibility imo is not nearly good enough. Editing stock image into art is more entertaining to me and I can think of seven or eight pieces of my past work that can go into an art portfolio as illustrations / graphic art. Thanks, Benedikt!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    If you're asking the practical question, whether this has commercial potential...it would be unusual for one person to be hired do all the components of a layout like this. So I'd pick one aspect to concentrate on.

If you're asking about the strength of this as an illustration, the illustrator in me is annoyed at all the stuff on top of it and would like to see it stand alone first.

If you're asking what I think about the meaning of the thing, I'm out.
    Thanks, Stoat! I've asked at gdf, they say that a floating brain with arms disolving a naked woman in a sequence of boxes is going to frighten potential employers, UNLESS it is in an art portfolio. I guess nobody minds working with headcases when it's for art. Since I prefer making freaky pictures rather than less exciting page layout I'll make it an art portofolio. Guess I won't have to worry about messing with an illustrator's work in a way that they don't like.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by canttrustit View Post
    Editing stock image into art is more entertaining to me and I can think of seven or eight pieces of my past work that can go into an art portfolio as illustrations / graphic art.
    Collaging stock photos together doesn't seem like a viable career path/skill to me. It certainly isn't enough to get hired as an illustrator, otherwise 98% of the kids on deviantart would have jobs as illustrators. Either you go directly into full-blown matte-painting, in which case you need to brush up some fundamentals (perspetive, light etc.) and also get into 3D quite heavily, or you turn towards illustration, in which case you need to learn ho to draw and paint proper, no photo bashing (during the learning process at least).

I'm not sying that it is impossible to do "your thing" and get work, just that it seems very unlikely to me. Collaging stock photos together is not a particulrily sought-after skill.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    I have long believed that photobashing will come into its own one day. It's kinda sorta already starting to happen.

But I'll tell you what holds it back: it's hard as hell to get halfway decent results. Most photo mashups don't look as interesting as the original photos they use. In most cases, the photo part of the exercise just makes the non-photo part look stupid.

I do quite a lot of quick photobashing for cheap blog fodder. So far, nobody's come after us merry pranksters on the internet for stealing news photos for the purpose (think Worth1000), but it wouldn't fly for a real employer.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Oh, many design people nowadays do hardly anything else than photobashing I think. That's why I said no photobashing during the learning process. Once you have some proficiency in the fundamentals, you stop what I called "collaging" (by which I meant just slapping images together arty-partsy style) and start to just use a different method of creating an image.

Without the fundamentals, you're just plastering images together and end up with the crap you describe (photo and non-photo bits not fiiting together etc.).

Members who have read this thread: 35