Creating Concept Art Inspired Backgrounds with Lineart

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Question Creating Concept Art Inspired Backgrounds with Lineart

Hello! I'm trying to work on the storyboards for a fantasy comic, and I'm having trouble with the backgrounds. Most of the works I'm looking at for inspiration, and that carry the kind of mood I'm looking for, are all concept art and digital paintings. One of the opening page spreads I'm working on is a view of the main protagonist looking over a valley, and in the distance is a mountain range with a pair of face statues carved in the side, sort of forming a gateway of sorts. I'm trying to keep the entire work in a per say "manga style", but I want it to diverge from that as well to give it some personality and uniqueness. All in all, it's really hard to get the look I'm going for with lineart. Does anyone have any advice on how I might achieve this?

And apologies if this seems like a really vague question. I'm not entirely sure what questions I should be asking so I just kind of puked my thoughts into a thread. Haha.

Thank you in advance!

Read more: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...#ixzz2zpq2CPf6

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,926 Times in 2,380 Posts
    look at landscape drawings instead of paintings. You should draw your ideas in your own style with your own ability anyway.

Thanks
    What do you mean by line art? Is it strictly black and white lines? Or is there tone or color involved?

The thread you linked to doesn't seem to exist by the way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstrider View Post
    What do you mean by line art? Is it strictly black and white lines? Or is there tone or color involved?

The thread you linked to doesn't seem to exist by the way.
    I copied/pasted the text over from a a copy of this thread that I accidentally posted in the wrong sub-forum.

And yes, as in solid black and white line art. I may be using graytones but not for anything other than to indicate darker colors.

Thanks
    Honestly, that's what I've been trying to do... I just can't find a lot of environmental drawings out there. Most of them are either concept art/paintings, or if they're lineart they're more along of the lines of structures and cities than actual landscapes.
    So far my solution is going through environments that I feel best represent the mood I'm going for (I spent an hour or two taking screenshots in Darksiders II) and studying the shapes and figuring out how to apply it. But I'm still starting from a blank slate, and it would be awesome if I could find somewhere that really deals with this subject.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,355 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Study more manga and ink illustration. If you're going to be working in a medium, become familiar with the best work that has been done in that medium. For fantasy you'll be looking at the old fairytale and adventure story illustrators like Willy Pogany, Joseph Clement Coll, Aubrey Beardsley and John R. Neill. Booth is nice too.

Otherwise, just make a digitally painted comic.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Members who have read this thread: 29