Daazed - Composition 1.1

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Daazed - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Daazed - Composition 1.1

I still have more to do, but here is my first few studies. Chose to do Sargent, and of course Frazetta, the other studies i have to do are all a mix from those two artists, with some other less popular ones.

As for the time, 45min on the Clouds, and 90mins on the Frazetta. I felt I had to spend longer so I really absorbed information in the process.

I spent 1hr 45 on the sargent portrait
    Portrait was super difficult, looking at it you wouldn't think so, but the eyes have so much light in them, the values and shapes were also difficult. I know its off still, but I had to stop painting it sometime and move on I felt.

Could have spent a lot longer, but I'm saving that for the next assignment master copy. Any info before I do more appreciated, thanks.

IN ORDER

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  106.3 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  192.5 KB

Name:  4 THOMAS COLE.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  87.3 KB

Name:  5 DURAND.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  119.7 KB

Name:  6 THOMAS COLE.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  101.2 KB

Name:  7 BIERSTADTd.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  133.8 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DAAZED; April 30th, 2014 at 12:02 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the clouds in the first one and the second one is really nice too. I'd say spot on for both. Keep it up! I can't wait to see more. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your too kind, thank you very much for your comment. Yeah will be posting some more shortly

Thanks
    Thanked 11,291 Times in 2,826 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great job. the frazetta would benefit from a bit softer edges. the landscape is excellent. the portrait has a beautiful surface. nice job capturing that. the shapes are a tiny bit distorted which can be checked by flipping it horizontally/vertically or using a mirror over your shoulder. i will nitpick you on that stuff as shape mapping is super important to doing portraits, so that you capture the same expression and proportion.

nice start...keep it up!

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, thanks for the reply really helps me. I totally agree about the portrait and Frazetta piece, I have to say the portrait was super difficult, the eyes and subtle smile were such a difficult thing to paint. I overlayed my painting over the portrait, and its definitely the eyes that let it down. Its amazing how Sargent painted that subtle expression with such gestural and fluid strokes, I really tried with the eyes, I think the fact that I looked at them as a separate element instead of the whole expression of the face let me down, anyhow I will revise it, I need to get it right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah...sargent is a trickster though. sometimes he would scrape his paintings as many as 15 or 20 times, repainting areas or the entire thing...finding strokes, broken edges, and just the right mark sometimes takes a bunch of tries to get it right. some of his paintings look like they were an afternoon at most but notes from the time period show they were as many as a dozen or more sittings...at 2-3 hours each. gotta be willing to make mistakes and even more willing to scrape them off...undo them..or paint them over until they are right.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow, well he certainly had me fooled then. That definitely makes me feel a little more comfortable about correcting mistakes now. Its a wonder his models had the patience for it, but I guess they always knew the end result would be worth the wait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    people tend to sit as long as it takes when the artist is badass

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    True lol

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.