Selee

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Selee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Selee

Hey guys I just "finished" this piece and I would like some feedback on it. One thing I will say is that I'm aware that a lot of her proportions are not anatomically correct, that was on purpose. Thanks for any help, much appreciated!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,425 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Even if you distorted the proportions on purpose, there is still structure, perspective, lighting, texture...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To have the woman more integrated in the background, try to paint with the light color over the light zones of the human figure and the dress, with low opacity. Do the same picking dark brown from the background and applying it in the dark zones of the woman

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks musivara!

Arenhaus, that was...not helpful to be honest. But thanks anyways...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh, sexy! Let's see... First, her outfit lacks any detail, she's just covered in purple. Do some texture studies to see how to better render her outfit. Her outfit appears to be lingerie-ish, look up some refs on that (and perhaps add some transparency to the material, since lingerie is sheer). Then fix her hands; they're a bit small and the empty hand looks broken. Then the blood: blood doesn't hang in strings like that, and perhaps make it a bit shinier.

Is she supposed to not be wearing shoes? She's walking around in her stockings.

Also, the hilt of her katana isn't rendered at all. It's literally just a dark shape.

As for the background, try adding detail to the foreground around her, and making the more distant elements blend more with the sky, to make them look kinda faded, y'know? Right now your background lacks depth.

I like where this one's going, can't wait to see it improved ^o^

Visit my sketchbook or my deviantArt!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks you so much Yuu-Chan I will work on it some more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The character doesn't integrate at all with the background. It looks pasted on. Introduce more of the surrounding colours in the character to counteract that.

Also I have to second arenhaus on his point about structure. Stylistic simplifications notwithstanding, the structure and anatomy aren't convincing, e.g. some areas are really flat (her arms, hands and finger, feet etc.), her left breast is significantly larger than her right breast, and overall problems with the structure and threedimensionality of the forms.

A good idea would be for you to brush up your knowledge of constructive anatomy and to do some drawing/painting from life to break away from the kind of visual symbols you're using at the moment) and focus on the "real thing". At the very least you should use reference for the pose (shoot it yourself if you have to).

Smack dab in the middle of the United States
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since the issues with the integration of the character into the background and character anatomy have already been mentioned, I would just like to add my two cents to the discussion. Her facial expression is really a sticking point for me. While I get the impression that she's supposed to have a neutral/expressionless look on her face, as it is now her face is coming off kind of lifeless. The big thing that's giving me this impression is that her eyes aren't focused. While her left eye is looking directly at the viewer, the right eye is looking in a slightly different direction. This lack of focus in her eyes results in a lifeless face that starts to veer towards uncanny valley. I know this might seem like a tiny detail, but it really does effect the overall appearance a lot.

Sketchbook- My Sketchbook

Deviantart- ceallach-monster

Shameless Webcomic Promoting Time!- Old Bones & New Meat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Benedikt, I will work on giving form to those flat areas, and yeah I noticed that about her breasts too recently xD. I do life studies quite often which has gotten me to this point but I will try to step it up. As for reference, I don't think I will be able to fit my whole body into a picture taken with my crappy webcam which is the only camera I have unfortunately.

Sid Bane, thank you for that point about her eye! I often have trouble focusing the eyes, so I will definitely work on that. It may be a small detail but I really do think it will help improve the piece.

Members who have read this thread: 42