AdriKoh - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: AdriKoh - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

AdriKoh - Composition 1.1

Hello!

New to Concept Art but I think I love it here. To kick things off, here's #1:

Name:  practice01.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  102.3 KB
    1 hour

Observation:
    The dark always buttresses the light to help differentiate objects and make them stand out.

Notes:
    This was much harder than I thought! I felt extremely frustrated half way through. I know for sure that I need to focus on mapping out shapes and matching values.

I'll post up another one before the day's end. (:

Last edited by adrikoh; April 24th, 2014 at 12:29 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #2:

Name:  practice02.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  133.5 KB
    45 minutes

Observation:
    There's a repetition of ovals with the faces in a curved "U"-like shape.

Notes:
    This run was much more frustrating than the last. I'm having the hardest time mapping out the shapes! On top of that, I'm finding it very difficult to pick out the general tones in the midst of all the details. DEEP BREATH...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #3:

Name:  practice03.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  107.1 KB
    1 hour

Observation:
    There are slant "\" lines running along through her arm and skirt folds, which are almost perpendicular to her eyes and forearm.

Notes:
    I hope I'm getting better with tone. Still feeling a lot frustrated while doing these though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #4:

Name:  practice04.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  146.8 KB
    1 hour

Observation:
    Venus is being emphasized by being colored in a brighter tone than the variety of cupids and birds. Painting becomes much more economical as you move back in perspective.

Notes:
    I wanted to stay within the 1 hour mark, but I felt like I didn't have enough time. However, I did focus on Venus a little too much in the beginning so...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi AdriKoh!

I know what you mean... Doing a decent study within an hour is reaaaaallly hard for me too.
    I think both of us are having difficulties dealing with stress induced by time limit.

But if I may, I can give you some advice from what I've learnt so far.
    1- Pic 1, 2 and 4 are amazing paintings... But they are also extremely busy. I think you should start with "more simple" paintings with strong contrasts like the girl (3).
    2- Take some time to map the shapes with flat colors and simple bushes (I usually use a soft brush for backgrounds and a hard one for figures). It's easier to spot mistakes at this step.
    3- More common tips : First, squint your eyes to simplify the picture. This usually makes details disappear and you can focus on the main values. And secondly, try flipping your image from time to time. It helps spotting mistakes and misplacement.

Good luck with your next studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ZeCarnevilCat!

Thanks so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

I think you're right. Ontop of time limit constraints, a lot of the paintings I picked are really grandiose and busy that I get lost and panicked -- especially near the end.

Any tips on how to map out the shapes better? I do like a negative-esque mapping with two or three tones, and it looks okay (even after flipping and turning the canvas) but then I realize something's not in its proper place until it's too late.

I'll have to try the squinting thing. I've tried out zooming out enough to make it look more like blobs but yeah.

Thanks so much again! ♥ Good luck to you too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're welcome! ^^ I hope it helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikoh View Post
    Any tips on how to map out the shapes better? I do like a negative-esque mapping with two or three tones, and it looks okay (even after flipping and turning the canvas) but then I realize something's not in its proper place until it's too late.
    I understand, I also have some really annoying scale/placement issues too. I think mapping with three tones is a good idea for a start (at least that's what I do). Zooming out is also a good tip

When stuck (I mean I KNOW there's a bloody thing wrong but can't find WHAT it is) and already tried squinting, flipping and turning canvas, I usually take a small break. Do something else, stop scrutinize it and go take a coffee, look outside etc...

If you still can't find where the problem is when you're back, then I use my last resort: using a simple grid or rulers.
    (Be careful to have the exact same grid on both pictures). It usually does the trick even if not magical.
    I choose it as my last option because I try to train my observation skills, but the choice is up to you.

Additional tip: Try to paint with geometry-like shapes when placing your elements (all lines and angles, you add curves later).

Please note that these are some tips I've learned or seen others use. It may not be the best working method

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ZeCarnevilCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,131 Times in 2,679 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great input. keep flipping the images...even use a mirror and look at them over your shoulder. fresh eyes will help you resolve the shape issues, which is really the main area for you to focus on...getting those shapes mapped out accurately as you can.

keep it up.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Members who have read this thread: 14