Thanks

Jimid - color and light 1.1

Spent 2 hours on this wasn't sure how to continue really , I tend to get a bit lost still working on learning to blend in photoshop in a comfortable way i tend to blend to death my pictures if not care full . Enjoyed doing this exercise my color
    attempts came out pretty bad hopefully this will help in improve them.

Name:  Jimid - color and light 1.1 - Copy.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  83.5 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Excellent work so far! This really pops out and reads well at that tiny thumbnail size by the thread titles, which is always a good sign. You've captured some of the subtle plane changes in the face really well and the hair looks great. I also like the contrast of your complexion with the dark background.

I'm thinking you might be able to play with your edges a bit on the left side, to describe the forms a little better. . . your shoulder or perhaps the brow bone/cheek bone area. The hair on the left side, also seems cut off a bit oddly.

You've accomplished so much in 2 hours already, it would be cool to see a little more time put in to it. Maybe you have a fresh eye on it now that it's been a week?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    agreed. the edge on the left side of the painting (neck) is a bit crisp as well and not helping the form round out..same as the cheek on the left side of the image. lastly, I think the light on the eye on the left is a little strong too.

check out holbein's heads as he is doing super tight/cleanly painted heads in a similar manner. you will find some answers there as well.

nice work. keep it up.

jm

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice and critique Grumpysaur and Jason I can see what you saying ,something felt off about the left side hopefully now I can
    correct some the issues you pointed out sorry about slow reply been unable to access internet for a month and now I am looking forward to getting back to doing some of the level up course , cheers again for crits
    Jimid

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jimid For This Useful Post: