TroublingTim - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: TroublingTim - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TroublingTim - Composition 1.1

This study took about an hour, I feel I did not have enough time to to do the shape
    and values accurately.Although that could come with practice, or I could increase the amount of time I have next time I do one.

One observation I had is the v or arrow shape created by the bent over trees pointing towards the focal point in the painting.

Name:  masterstudy1.png
Views: 283
Size:  195.1 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took a bit longer on this one, about an hour and 45 minutes.I found it rather hard to get the shapes correct and to get everything in the right size and position in the composition.Overall I feel like I'm getting a better hang of this but I still have a ton to learn.

What I noticed about this piece was with how much contrast there is between the main figure and the back/foreground elements, it really makes her stand out.

Name:  masterstudy2comparison.png
Views: 200
Size:  234.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice start! Your shapes themselves look good, but in the first picture they are out of proportion (the man and mammoth are both too large). Be sure to measure things out or compare horizontal/vertical lines using straight lines on the canvas or holding up a pencil - whatever is easiest - before you commit to your major shapes.
    Your values could still use some work too. Note how shadowed much of the foreground and trees should be in the first image, and how bright the sky is behind the mammoth's head. A couple places are off in the second pic too.
    That said, I see a lot of improvement between the first and second pictures, so it looks like you already have a good idea of where to go. Great job, keep it up!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critique Dahlia, I'll try and check my horizontals and verticals next study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a quick half an hour study, I feel like I'm starting to learn to get in my shapes more quickly and accurately.With this piece I observed how the darkest values in the painting draws you towards the focal point.

Name:  masterstudy3.png
Views: 194
Size:  79.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this one took about 2 hours, looking at I already notice a lot of the shapes are off things like the girls arm being bigger ect; I feel like at my current speed I need about 4 hours to be accurate but these are compositional studies.

Composition wise I notice quite a lot of negative shapes which guide the viewer's eye.Also a lot of blocks of color which really frames he focal point.

Name:  frazettastudy.png
Views: 181
Size:  237.4 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ok great to see where you are at. When you are first getting started it is very important to really focus in on the mapping out of your shapes as accurately as you can possibly get them. If you put a shape in the wrong place and commit you end up having the other shapes off and require fixing, which increases painting time. By taking just a few extra minutes early on to measure out your shapes, to compare your shapes, and be sure they are placed and drawn accurately will make the rest of the painting process, working out your values and edges, much much easier.

You should flip the images horizontally and vertically so that you see the shapes with fresh eyes. This should be part of the process and if you are already doing that, keep doing it more. The professional artists will often flip images or use a mirror to see with fresh eyes as many as three or four times a minute as they are working when things really get flowing. You can also back away...actually get up and back away...and doing this works for shapes as well as checking values and edges.

Keep up the good work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jason for the tips, I tried flipping and spending more time trying to get the shapes accurately this time I think it turned out ok other the face which is definitely off.Spent about 2 hours in total on the study.

The composition on this piece is interesting, I like how the white cloth brings attention up towards the face.

Name:  Retrato_de_Juan_Pareja,_by_Diego_Velázquez.png
Views: 163
Size:  345.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start. Your marks seem a little busy..so watch for that. You are headed in the right direction though. When you get your shapes worked out well, pay very close attention to the values. You want to match the values you see as closely as you can. It is important to be very honest about what you are seeing. try to put the accurate value down with each stroke as otherwise you end up having to fix things along the way and being accurate will save you time. Really take the time to observe and compare and choose the right value. If you are off, adjust it, don't keep working and come back to it. You are doing great...just need to focus in on value a little more.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another portrait study, took a bit to long with this one had to cut it short.

I noticed the complete lack of detail in the darkest shadows, and more detail towards the focal point of the painting.Arm and hand points towards head.

Name:  RemrantStudy.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  102.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    T his one was an hour, I noticed how t here is a c shaped rhythm leading your eye to the focal point.

Name:  Frezettamasterstudy7.png
Views: 137
Size:  179.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1 one hour study and an hour and a half study.

This one was interesting because the way the cliffs frame the character in the painting.

Name:  Frazetta2-380x500.png
Views: 123
Size:  271.6 KB

The contrast and detail on the helmet really attracts your eye towards the head.

Name:  masterstudy9.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  151.0 KB

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by TroublingTim; May 25th, 2014 at 07:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spent about an hour on this one, I noticed there seems to be more detail in the environment surrounding the girl and on her skirt.The papers on the wall create an interesting rhythm that draws my eye one side of the painting.

Name:  masterstudy10.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  115.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok. great to see these. i am absolutely ok with your painterly approach. I like to work that way myself. when working with the patinerly approach it is imperative that you double down on being accurate with your positive and negative shapes. If you have to quadruple check...do so. Sargent has head studies that look like 3 hours painting but he was know to have scraped the thing off 15 times, figuring out what marks were the right marks to capture what he was painting. For these next images you do, please really put attention to getting accurate shapes. Flip the images. turn them upside down. whatever you have to do...

Keep up the great work.

JM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried to focus more on accurate shapes this time than on small details.I'm finding I'm having to redraw things more then a couple time sin order to get them accurate like you said.Spent only an hour and 20 mins on it, I noticed towards the end I was getting restless and things started to become less accurate and focused.

I really like this painting, I feel like the folds on the woman's arms create a nice repetitive pattern.

Name:  Portrait_of_Mrs__John_White_Alexander.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  209.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think I might be getting a bit better, still having a lot of trouble with head proportions but maybe I should not be worried with that with a hour and a half time limit.

I noticed the bg in this piece has almost no detail except for the curtain next to the near the figure.Seems like a good way to draw the eye towards that side of the painting.

Name:  masterstudy12.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  367.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice progress with your shapes. You are headed in the right direction. When you get your shapes worked out well, pay very close attention to the values. You want to match the values you see as closely as you can. It is important to be very honest about what you are seeing. try to put the accurate value down with each stroke as otherwise you end up having to fix things along the way and being accurate will save you time. Really take the time to observe and compare and choose the right value. If you are off, adjust it, don't keep working and come back to it. You are doing great...just need to focus in on value a little more.

Keep it up.

JM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Number 13, this time I focused more line than painting. It took me to long to get shapes so I had little time for values.

I noticed a nice pattern/rhythm with the cards rising up.

Name:  masterstudy13.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  376.9 KB

Last edited by TroublingTim; June 10th, 2014 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On this one I messed up the proportions of several spots, took about an hour.

There is a really good sense of rhythm in the whole piece, Arthur Rackham seems to have away with making lines flow in and out in a pleasing way.

Name:  masterstudy14.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  357.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Number 15, in this one the animals all seem to be pointing towards the same direction.

Name:  mastersstudy15.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  484.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is number 16, the lack of detail in the crowd in the back gives a nice sense of mass without being to distracting.

Name:  masterstudys16.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  380.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked on this study of Angus Mcbride work one about two hours, I could have worked on it a bit more and improved a bit more if I took more time like 3-4 hours.

I really like his use of perspective in this one, definitely inspiring me to try and use different perspective in my work.

Name:  masterstudy17.png
Views: 218
Size:  553.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another from angus mcbride

Name:  masterstuddy18.png
Views: 58
Size:  335.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok...at this point you are showing progress and that's good. i want you to really focus on shapes, positive and negative. see what i had to say above about flipping the images and working on accuracy there. If we can get that resolved the rest are going to be really really good. bite down and really work on that k?

Keep it up!

JM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really spent a lot of time with the shapes in this one , I added in values and was running on 3 hours so I figured I was spending a bit to much time on it not sure.

Name:  masterstudy19.png
Views: 45
Size:  267.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's ok to spend time on your study, if you feel you don't getting the value right, or the shape right.
    I think the time limit was here to not let student go on eternal rendering.
    On your last study, the shape are really close,just the heads of the two characters on the left are a little too big.
    Keep pushing it ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agreed. don't let the time get to you. your values are close. your shapes need to be closer. given your talent, which is clear, you just need to really focus in on getting your negative shapes just right. keep up the good work.

jm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did try to focus more on negative shapes in this one, took about 2 hours. I think I've been hung up on time I am trying to remind myself it's okay to spend a lot of time on one study.

Name:  masterstudy20b.png
Views: 38
Size:  366.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is absolutely ok to take your time. If it takes you four or five hours even, that is fine. Speed will come. It is more important right now to really keep focused on getting as accurate of shapes and values as you can...starting with shapes. If you have to measure..do it. If you need to lay down some vertical or horizontal lines..do it. You are on the right track..just keep them coming and stay focused.

jm

Members who have read this thread: 62