Freedom in the Wind WIP

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Freedom in the Wind WIP

Hello everyone! This is a personal piece, I changed up the music I normally listen to, it really changed the feeling that is usually in my work, pretty cool I think. I was just wanting to see what people thought about it so far before I start rendering and adding color, any feedback appreciated! Thanks for looking!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if your composition is working... The warrior is supposed to be the focal point, right? I have to struggle to draw my eye over toward him. My eye keeps going right from the middle and off the page.

Someone with more composition know-how might be able to elaborate. Or confirm that my eyes don't work right XD

Visit my sketchbook or my deviantArt!

Thanks
    My plan was to make two focal points, I was using the flow of the image to draw your eyes down where he came from, then I was going to make the prisoner stand out with brighter values and more saturation, is that not a good idea? Now I'm second guessing myself, lol.

Thanks
    Yeah the composition doesn't do much to direct you towards the character.

Doing something like this makes it much stronger.

Name:  portraitill.png
Views: 126
Size:  191.5 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yea I think you are right Nickk, thanks brotha!

Thanks
    Hi Gragg!
    Your drawing has some good elements. I like the figure a lot. The composition is probably a little too wide as mentioned. If you want the road behind him to be relevant it would probably suffice to crop the right third of the frame. Best option is probably to try some thumbnails though, with differing compositions and see which one captures your intent the best.

Storywise, I didn't know he was a prisoner until I read it in your comment. It may be that the shackles are more clear when coloured, but with the sword and all the muscles he looked more like a tired warrior to me.

Lastly, while I really like the anatomy of the figure, the tree really needs some reference. Right now it's cartoony while the rest is much more realistic.

Anyway, curious to see how it progresses

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    I'm'onna be contrarian here and say I think you could make the wide version work, if you were comfortable doing landscape. If you kept the distant environment very light in value, and him dark, I think it could be effective. But I like asymmetrical compositions.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    I was going to go with the cropped image to make a little better composition but Stoat gave me a little confidence, lol. I will make those shackles stand out a lot more Schraverus, I see what your saying about not really being able to make them out. Here is where am at so far, still playing around with colors and value. But my eyes are killing me I'm done for the night, let me know what you think!

Thanks
    I think if you really want to keep it wide, you should add some form of framing element to the right side.

The left side of the painting has a lot of weight to it while the right side is very open and light. There's nothing wrong with the focal point being on the left side. The painting just needs to be more balanced.

Thanks
    Well this is where I'm at so far, it's almost 4 in the morning so I think I'm gonna call it quits for tonight. Still have a lot of cleaning up to do, but now I think I'm finally starting to like how its coming together. Let me know what you think! Thanks for all of the help so far!

Thanks
    It's coming along nicely but, those leaves are looking pretty flat.

Thanks
    Good job on trying to make the warrior stand out, however, there is this little thing that is missing from the whole piece-the warrior seems to blend a little into the background, maybe its the colours you used. I suggest creating another copy of the artwork and alter and colours of the warrior to make him pop out a little more.

Members who have read this thread: 32