KFAnderson - Arya & the Hound

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

KFAnderson - Arya & the Hound

Hi everybody,

I've been wanting to do this Arya and the Hound piece for a few weeks now since Season 4 of GoT started and I finally put something down but I really don't like it. The text at the top was sort of an after thought and while I'd like to get it in there it really isn't working with the composition right now. I was going to scrap this and start over from the top but I thought I'd post it here and see if anyone had any suggestions to salvage the piece before I did. If anything it could help to make my next go at it stronger, right?

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would really concentrate attention on the top half of the picture, see below. Maybe decide who you want to highlight more - Arya or the Hound - and slightly adjust your values there accordingly.
    Name:  arya.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  172.3 KB

I like Arya's face. Also I'm not sure how sitting side-saddle works exactly but I assume you looked up reference already. what jumped out at me was that she seemed to be almost pasted in from another painting because the cleanness of her face - the edges and lines too - was so different from the Hound. Just something to pay attention to as you keep working. I look forward to seeing where this goes!

Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

4. The Following User Says Thank You to krysjez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks krysjez. I should've mentioned that Arya is the focus of the piece and I had intended on bringing out the values on her face and using shadows to phase the Hound out a bit more into the background. Thanks again for the input!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I played around w the composition a bit, and shortened the text. I've spend too long on the internet so even the text you have in there triggered a tl;dr. I agree about putting more emphasis on A so the eye is more drawn to her.

Name:  arya&thehound_ll_1.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  73.8 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to _Devilry_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't really had much time to work on this at all but I did an alternate (very rough) composition and I'm wondering which one works better between this and the old one. Thanks guys

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like both compositions, but I like the first one better because I think the centered composition is more decisive. Everything-- Arya, Hound, and horse are lined up with the middle. I don't like the second one as much because the Hound is off to the side but Arya is centered, and because she's the focal point it means there isn't as much rhythm to your eye's movement.

If you like the first one, I would advise making the background dark because then as you shadow the Hound he will sort of disappear into it, whereas now I think the background is rather distracting and brings the focus to the Hound when you want it on Arya. I'm not sure about the purple color scheme in the second composition but I think if you can make it work it will be cool. Again, I'd think about darkening the background, but I don't think it's as necessary compared to the first composition.

Good luck and happy drawing!

Megan

10. The Following User Says Thank You to megand For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.