Has Art Center "had its time"?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Has Art Center "had its time"?

The reason that I ask this is because one of my favorite designers, Scott Robertson, implied on an interview that art center had sort of had its heyday and had changed from a school that was intensely focused on creativity into something where money played a much larger factor. I was just wondering what people thought about this?

I mean, tuition has gone up significantly for the school over the last few years, and I do think that the reason that they have so much success getting students to enroll is because of their past. At the same time, however, many art center grads are leaders in the design and entertainment industries. So yeah, just looking for thoughts i guess?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am currently a student at Art Center and Night who: 1) is set on attending Art Center proper 2) has friends that have graduated from Art Center (including one just this past weekend) 3) has worked under bosses that have come from Art Center during Scott Robertson's time.

From what I've gathered it boils down to this: Art Center's Entertainment Design and Illustration programs amplify what you put into it by several-fold. There continue to be students that have enormous success both during and after their time at Art Center (including what seems like a sizable chunk that takes off for a dream job before actually finishing their degree). I honestly think if given the same amount of time that students that attended under Scott Robertson, current students will become just as renowned as those that have come before them that the concept art community looks up to.

That said, purely out of personal preference/sense of aesthetics, I do take issue with the idea of creativity being or not being the focus. If you have gone to any of this term's graduation or intern shows for ED students, you'd see work that is either incredibly creative or shades of what's "in" at the moment for the concept art industry as a whole. I suppose an argument could be made that those "in" designs are symptomatic of the industry they are entering where designs are curbed to consumer taste (or even the preparation for entering that arena and showing off skill in tailoring to those tastes).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the info! And what I meant about creativity is not that the student work isn't creative, I had heard that there was sort of an "Art Center style" that many students had, and that the individuality was really only seen in students who had a strong sense of personal style before entering.

Also the school has lots of very poor ratings from people on studentsreview.com. The only positive ones are from people who are still in their first semester it seems. I can't tell if this is a symptom of my generation where they don't understand the amount of work it takes to take full advantage of any art school, or if there truly is a problem with the school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gtm1260 View Post
    Also the school has lots of very poor ratings from people on studentsreview.com. The only positive ones are from people who are still in their first semester it seems. I can't tell if this is a symptom of my generation where they don't understand the amount of work it takes to take full advantage of any art school, or if there truly is a problem with the school.
    It is a bit like interviewing participants in a marathon: right after the start, everybody is in good spirits, halfway we start to see lots of drop-outs, and the few who actually finish will be too exhausted to talk. Compare it to building a house: it is relatively easy to lay down a foundation. That is, it is actually really hard, but you will only see its shortcomings when it is too late.

Personally, I didn't go to Art Center, but I remember how I loved my first year in art school, because I seemed to learn a lot, and bought the school's 'do as you are told, and you will rock' attitude. In second year, I started to see how the program was ill-designed, and started to fall apart, and by the time I graduated, all that remained was a big mess...

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This has been said every year for like two decades concerning Art Center. It still has the high amount of continued success and the same teachers. The only difference is they accept more people to make more money, and those students can't make it past term 3 because the school is too tough.

Also concerning Scott, I know he had a lot of conflicts with the entertainment arts chair (William Weston), and something happened where Scott had to leave the head of ED. I think he wanted to start his own company, but the reality might be different. He was kinda a sour guy when he was around.

edit: forgot. Concerning the creativity thing, Art Center definitely has a problem. I.e. in the entertainment arts track for illu (the one I'm in), you're pretty much told to exclusively study Disney designers and 99% of the student work looks exactly like the stuff you'd see in Vis Dev for Disney or Pixar animation. Grad walls for the major do tend to look very samey. But that's kinda the way the industry works, a unique style isn't always desired if you just want to join the workforce straight away and get paid.

On google reviews it has a 4.6/5 with 18 reviews and on Yelp it has a 4.5/5 out of 47 reviews, and most of it is recently reviewed. It's the typical shit-talk Art Center part of every decade, when really the school is pretty much the same and a lot of the same teachers continue teaching the same way.

FYI ED has the freakin art director of Naughty Dog teaching landscape painting. You can't get much better than that.

Last edited by Deadlyhazard; May 4th, 2014 at 06:45 AM.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Members who have read this thread: 5