Easter Skull

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Easter Skull

Thanks

Easter Skull

Hello everyone, me again.

I've been cracking on with my anatomy and perspective studies in the background, and I took a crack at a skull for Easter; kind of a personal tradition. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice regarding improving ink wash technique, as well as general critique regarding the picture, composition, lighting and all that good stuff. Also, I know the flowers suck. I tried using real-life references and they wilted pretty quickly - I think they were already dying.

Anyway, thanks for your time, as well as any critique!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Hello, ATP. A tradition of Easter skulls, eh?

You aren't taking much advantage of what ink lines can do here. The linework is so sparse, this might be more effective without it, as a pure wash.

It has a dark overall tone. Surely a skull would have whiter bits. Have you thought about going back into it with white highlights?

Don't mean to sound negative, it's a nice little drawing. What on earth is with the double row of upper teeth, though?

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Stoat - thanks for the advice - I kind of went into it thinking that the lines would only be outline and border, and I agree that I may not have explored the possibilities as much as I could have. I can't go back to it with white - I don't think I have anything with which to highlight but I shall see what I can do. I think I need to improve my skills with ink wash in general, maybe even built off the back of solid drafting technique.

As for the teeth - the skull used was a plaster casting of a real skull. That second line is the border of where the teeth meet the gum, while what looks like the top line of teeth is actually the gomphotic joint that connects the adult teeth into the maxilla. Normally it's hidden or it rots away with age, but they seem to have kept it in the cast as well as emphasising the line between root and enamel.

Thank you for your help, and happy Easter to you!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    I thought it might be that. The line isn't usually so strong, unless the deceased had his teeth capped

Ink wash is fun, but my is it unforgiving. You have to plan out and protect your light areas carefully.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Members who have read this thread: 21