Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

CHOW #351 :: Boris, the Lovable Bodyguard

CHOW #351 :: Boris, the Lovable Bodyguard

Character of the Week #351
    Boris, the Lovable Bodyguard

Deadline - Sunday, May 4th 10PM GMT

*This week we will be grabbing from the suggestions thread, with a little bit of a tweak. This topic is suggested from SteamworkJackal. If you ever have ideas for future ChoWs, post them in the suggestions thread!*

Some people who have money or power are usually targets for some sort of crime and usually hire a body guard for protection. Boris, is known in the criminal as someone not to mess with. If the price is right, he will protect any scumbag or royalty willing to pay him enough. He is imposing, dangerous, but something about him is just so charming! Physically intimidating, but somehow relate-able and approachable.

This week you must design Boris and show the side of him that he keeps from other people.

The Guidelines:
    • Must be Male
    • Must be humanoid
    • Must include the object which reflects his soft/lovable side.
    • Must have his weapon of choice.
    • NO background this week. Follow the set of rules listed below.

The Rules
    • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline
    • Final post must include the CHoW # and the artists username at the bottom of the image within, at least, a footer bar(TYPED, NOT WRITTEN)
    • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible. No back views are allowed without a front please.
    • Sketches or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll
    • No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work
    • At least two wips posted with your final in the finals thread
    • NO ENVIRONMENT BACKGROUNDS! You may use simple shapes,gradients or silhouettes
    • Please read through the thread for any posts made by the mod. They likely answered a question that was asked about the challenge!
    • Have fun!

Last edited by Havok Reed; April 21st, 2014 at 02:06 PM.
    !!SKETCHBOOK!!

Visit my website for additional info. www.mjdstudios.com
    “If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    oh darling boris

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by marko markovic; April 21st, 2014 at 07:26 AM.

Thanks
    here's Boris, he wears his mask on the job and never takes it off, that's one of his hiring contract conditions, it's both weird and terrifying for some, but there's also a lovable side to it, because it's based on a drawing of his daughter, nobody knows he actually has a family but he divorced his wife years ago and visits his daughter secretly ... also he wears his lucky shirt on assassination jobs(part-time ), has blood stains all over it ... so he doesn't wear in more formal situations ... critiques are welcome

Name:  boris.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  392.3 KB

Thanks
    tenpeoplez, if anything, the mask would make people really creeped out and not want to approach him (especially one of his daughter, would sound like a psycho to me). A mask screams faceless assassin, not really approachable. you might want to try again.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

“If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok Reed View Post
    tenpeoplez, if anything, the mask would make people really creeped out and not want to approach him (especially one of his daughter, would sound like a psycho to me). A mask screams faceless assassin, not really approachable. you might want to try again.
    thx for the reply ... and the mask is a drawing of him, drawn by his daughter, I should've elaborated on that ... so it's like a more abstract image of his face, instead of revealing his real face ... if I got that right he has to look like a friendly bodyguard but with physically intimidating features ... I will work on that ... I'm new to concept art so any critique is great ... thx

Thanks

BOARIS

Haven't been on ConceptART for a while, thought I would return by getting into one of these comps

He's BOARis, he has a piglet, how adorable.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pimpwacker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thought I would give this a go

Meet Borris. He is afraid of spiders. That makes him just like any of us right?

Can't blame him really. Initial concept before I paint and detail.

Name:  Borris_WIP.png
Views: 1400
Size:  296.4 KB

Tear your dreams asunder. Every broken word.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Malign Asunder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Definitely going to try and actually complete this week. I did a sketched out a couple of quick ideas. I don't have a sorted out weapon of choice quite yet, but I did come up with Boris' weakness, dogs. Because of his love for precious pups, Boris doubles as not only a ruthless body guard, but also a very passionate dog walker.

Any suggestions on which way to head with this would be greatly appreciated!

Name:  BORIS.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  691.7 KB

@pimpwacker I love the boar idea! The facial expression is great, I find it hilarious. Although I'm not sure if I'll continue with the dog idea, seems really similar to your baby pig.

Thanks
    here are my 2 attempts ... they both have hobbies like toy making and sewing, I thought of the movie LEON, which basically fits the character description ... he had a plant that he took care of ... any critique or advice is always welcome

Name:  boris 2.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  394.0 KBName:  boris 3.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  379.8 KB

Thanks
    the UI is a bit confusing ... attached an image 2 times ...

Thanks
    Because of the theme's title I instantly thought about russians, maybe a cossack - i'm going to make a sketch of this idea and then choose between the sketches - instead I chose the mob, the wiseguys. As much as he is a ruthless killer, always thinking about his family and his profits, he is a gardener. He has already won, many times, those florists contests. He most certainly doesn't need to kill his rivals in gardening, he is superior because of his passion. And this drive makes him more sane, otherwise hell will break loose.
    Name:  digitalizar0001.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  301.8 KB

Thanks
    @koenigin: Find reference. Don't guess and draw what you think something looks like. You need to find resources that will help you with your drawings. For starters, find some images of men with this body type. Then, look up images of someone standing in 3/4 view like this. The feet you drew are way off.

There were several people in the last challenge who failed to portrait certain anatomy correctly. This is a challenge for people to learn and get better. If you are someone who struggles with anatomy, this is the perfect time to hit the books and study while you make your character. There are no short cuts, just a lot of work.

And another thing, guys, please don't apologize to me for not pushing yourself harder. It's not me that needs the apology, it is your self.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

― Michelangelo

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Havok Reed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sketches! I'm picturing Boris as a jolly old man; a veteran who knows the business and is not afraid to get dirty.
    Name:  Boris skt.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  116.7 KB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GoodSoup For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3