Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHOW #351 :: Boris, the Lovable Bodyguard

CHOW #351 :: Boris, the Lovable Bodyguard

Character of the Week #351
    Boris, the Lovable Bodyguard

Deadline - Sunday, May 4th 10PM GMT

*This week we will be grabbing from the suggestions thread, with a little bit of a tweak. This topic is suggested from SteamworkJackal. If you ever have ideas for future ChoWs, post them in the suggestions thread!*

Some people who have money or power are usually targets for some sort of crime and usually hire a body guard for protection. Boris, is known in the criminal as someone not to mess with. If the price is right, he will protect any scumbag or royalty willing to pay him enough. He is imposing, dangerous, but something about him is just so charming! Physically intimidating, but somehow relate-able and approachable.

This week you must design Boris and show the side of him that he keeps from other people.

The Guidelines:
    • Must be Male
    • Must be humanoid
    • Must include the object which reflects his soft/lovable side.
    • Must have his weapon of choice.
    • NO background this week. Follow the set of rules listed below.

The Rules
    • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline
    • Final post must include the CHoW # and the artists username at the bottom of the image within, at least, a footer bar(TYPED, NOT WRITTEN)
    • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible. No back views are allowed without a front please.
    • Sketches or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll
    • No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work
    • At least two wips posted with your final in the finals thread
    • NO ENVIRONMENT BACKGROUNDS! You may use simple shapes,gradients or silhouettes
    • Please read through the thread for any posts made by the mod. They likely answered a question that was asked about the challenge!
    • Have fun!

Last edited by Havok Reed; April 21st, 2014 at 02:06 PM.
    !!SKETCHBOOK!!

Visit my website for additional info. www.mjdstudios.com
    “If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh darling boris

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by marko markovic; April 21st, 2014 at 07:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's Boris, he wears his mask on the job and never takes it off, that's one of his hiring contract conditions, it's both weird and terrifying for some, but there's also a lovable side to it, because it's based on a drawing of his daughter, nobody knows he actually has a family but he divorced his wife years ago and visits his daughter secretly ... also he wears his lucky shirt on assassination jobs(part-time ), has blood stains all over it ... so he doesn't wear in more formal situations ... critiques are welcome

Name:  boris.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  392.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tenpeoplez, if anything, the mask would make people really creeped out and not want to approach him (especially one of his daughter, would sound like a psycho to me). A mask screams faceless assassin, not really approachable. you might want to try again.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

“If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok Reed View Post
    tenpeoplez, if anything, the mask would make people really creeped out and not want to approach him (especially one of his daughter, would sound like a psycho to me). A mask screams faceless assassin, not really approachable. you might want to try again.
    thx for the reply ... and the mask is a drawing of him, drawn by his daughter, I should've elaborated on that ... so it's like a more abstract image of his face, instead of revealing his real face ... if I got that right he has to look like a friendly bodyguard but with physically intimidating features ... I will work on that ... I'm new to concept art so any critique is great ... thx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

BOARIS

Haven't been on ConceptART for a while, thought I would return by getting into one of these comps

He's BOARis, he has a piglet, how adorable.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pimpwacker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought I would give this a go

Meet Borris. He is afraid of spiders. That makes him just like any of us right?

Can't blame him really. Initial concept before I paint and detail.

Name:  Borris_WIP.png
Views: 1361
Size:  296.4 KB

Tear your dreams asunder. Every broken word.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Malign Asunder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely going to try and actually complete this week. I did a sketched out a couple of quick ideas. I don't have a sorted out weapon of choice quite yet, but I did come up with Boris' weakness, dogs. Because of his love for precious pups, Boris doubles as not only a ruthless body guard, but also a very passionate dog walker.

Any suggestions on which way to head with this would be greatly appreciated!

Name:  BORIS.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  691.7 KB

@pimpwacker I love the boar idea! The facial expression is great, I find it hilarious. Although I'm not sure if I'll continue with the dog idea, seems really similar to your baby pig.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here are my 2 attempts ... they both have hobbies like toy making and sewing, I thought of the movie LEON, which basically fits the character description ... he had a plant that he took care of ... any critique or advice is always welcome

Name:  boris 2.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  394.0 KBName:  boris 3.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  379.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the UI is a bit confusing ... attached an image 2 times ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Because of the theme's title I instantly thought about russians, maybe a cossack - i'm going to make a sketch of this idea and then choose between the sketches - instead I chose the mob, the wiseguys. As much as he is a ruthless killer, always thinking about his family and his profits, he is a gardener. He has already won, many times, those florists contests. He most certainly doesn't need to kill his rivals in gardening, he is superior because of his passion. And this drive makes him more sane, otherwise hell will break loose.
    Name:  digitalizar0001.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  301.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @koenigin: Find reference. Don't guess and draw what you think something looks like. You need to find resources that will help you with your drawings. For starters, find some images of men with this body type. Then, look up images of someone standing in 3/4 view like this. The feet you drew are way off.

There were several people in the last challenge who failed to portrait certain anatomy correctly. This is a challenge for people to learn and get better. If you are someone who struggles with anatomy, this is the perfect time to hit the books and study while you make your character. There are no short cuts, just a lot of work.

And another thing, guys, please don't apologize to me for not pushing yourself harder. It's not me that needs the apology, it is your self.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

― Michelangelo

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Havok Reed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketches! I'm picturing Boris as a jolly old man; a veteran who knows the business and is not afraid to get dirty.
    Name:  Boris skt.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  116.7 KB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GoodSoup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ BashfulTitan; You could make him shank a dog. or have a dog left as a witness after a murder.

This is Boris the viking. He likes to drink and does shadow puppets in private.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 2.26.16 AM.png
Views: 1271
Size:  76.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone!
    this is my first post and i'm so glad to participate, there is great stuff arround here!

@Good Soup; love those sketches, amazing style!
    @ped454; cool idea and a very curious way of sketching! at first i thought it was abstract art xD can't wait to see the final piece.

So here is my entry. Boris isn't just the best shooter of the province but also a terrible enemy in close combat. Despite his feared reputation, the inocent country boy he was still lives inside his heart. One day he'll quit the bodyguard job to make his real dream; study the behavior of wild hummingbird.

Name:  Boris_wip1.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  305.0 KB

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luc Salcedo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

BOARis update

What do you guys think so far? - I might have to re-work the gun- arm a little, I don't think the anatomy there is too crash hot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovable -hmmm . I am not sure why would i go with animal face or anathomy or where in the description is said that... just
    I imagine his a strong tough guy most of time but he just fall in love ant try to do best to conquer the girl he met in club he works.
    and he decide to go to latino lessons but insted of it he cannot get rid off his russian dance steps easily....
    . ..anyway nice ideas so far

Malign Asunder

very nice start!
    i think you are on the right road!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to marko markovic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @pimpwacker - Face is looking really interesting and the character has a nice weight to him but I think it is getting a little lost in the leg area, might I suggest you address the knee and ankle joints in order to really solidify that anthropomorphic connection. They need to be bulked up a little more in the thigh and calf area I think in order for this guy to support his size.

Maybe also define his gut a little more to add to that 'top heavy' stature. I agree on the arms, they need work, the shooting arm needs more definition but the arm he is holding the piglet in seems to have lost its elbow joint. You want to make sure your concept has a really strong silhouette and adding in angles and nice - atomically correct shapes helps push this and get the most out of your composition

Then when you are blocking in color, compliment the shapes you laid down. Looking good so far though, address these issues and have some real nice rendering and you are on to a winner

@marco markovic - Thank you kind sir Quiet keen on seeing where yours is at, loving the layering or texture on your piece, nice movement to it.

Tear your dreams asunder. Every broken word.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malign Asunder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is an update.

I think its ok to have an anthropomorphic character because the rules said, 'humanoid' - and not human, but please let me know what you think. ;P

Bashfultitan; Thanks ;P Cant wait to see more of yours

Quote Originally Posted by Malign Asunder View Post
    @pimpwacker - Face is looking really interesting and the character has a nice weight to him but I think it is getting a little lost in the leg area, might I suggest you address the knee and ankle joints in order to really solidify that anthropomorphic connection. They need to be bulked up a little more in the thigh and calf area I think in order for this guy to support his size.

Maybe also define his gut a little more to add to that 'top heavy' stature. I agree on the arms, they need work, the shooting arm needs more definition but the arm he is holding the piglet in seems to have lost its elbow joint. You want to make sure your concept has a really strong silhouette and adding in angles and nice - atomically correct shapes helps push this and get the most out of your composition

Then when you are blocking in color, compliment the shapes you laid down. Looking good so far though, address these issues and have some real nice rendering and you are on to a winner
    Thanks, i'll address the piglet arm -elbow, i already had a go at the other points but I might look at altering the silhouette of the legs as well

Last edited by pimpwacker; April 22nd, 2014 at 09:27 AM. Reason: missed Malign asunder's comment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tenpeoplez:

Digging your entry, I like your toy maker, but sewer... not so much, mainly I think the cape don't stands out that much unless you exaggerate it, or you could turn him to knitting, easier to "exaggerate".. JMOP.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boris: <<I could kill for a cake like that!>>

Name:  Senza titolo-1.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  175.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kinonato View Post
    tenpeoplez:

Digging your entry, I like your toy maker, but sewer... not so much, mainly I think the cape don't stands out that much unless you exaggerate it, or you could turn him to knitting, easier to "exaggerate".. JMOP.
    hey, I agree the second design isn't as strong from a conceptual point of view ... but I liked the overall shape design and posted it ... the toy maker was more elaborate, I put more time into it ... thx for the feedback and you have some nice designs on your blog ... just saying

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First time doing this in years, so trying to re-figure things out.

heres a quick sketch of my idea so far, Boris playing with a little girl, letting her braid his hair and probably putting makeup on him while his weapons are impaled on the body behind him.

Name:  Boris.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  131.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ BlindLynx, that's such an overpowered bodyguard, haha.
    Well, I'd suggest another pose for his right arm, this one you've chosen seem a bit unconfortable for someone carrying a minigun, and who seem to be relaxed and confident. You can also work another perspective with this pose to make it more believable and confortable. I liked the idea of the cook hat, but in my opinion, is just too much information in a single character, and (again, it is my opinion) would suggest you to make this concept a little bit more subtle

@ pimpwacker, oh, I swear to you I've been thinking about making a pun for his name, hahaha! BTW, nice one!
    I think you could work the colors a bit, I mean, try to make the piglet more visible. A suggestion: I would leave the coloring step to be the very last, regarding the critiques on poses and anatomy issues. It is a lot easier to define the pencil traits before coloring, instead of fixing both at the same time.
    Anyway, nice concept, you did very well working on the funny side of the theme, nice job. Can't wait to see your final submission!

Sorry for not making a critique for everyone! I would like to do this with more time =)

I started drawing Boris today, and basically the idea is to make him intimitating with his size and his sawed-off shotgun. The little birdie would be the the being that would melt his heart (in the first 2 sketches I didn't draw the birdie, but he would be around his neck just as the second and third one). Didn't work on any costume yet, but I'll try to make something that would fit nowadays. Any suggestion (overall or regarding the poses) and critiques are very appreciated!

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  150.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great entries so far! Here is my WIP.

Name:  sketch250.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  287.9 KB

DEVIANTART -:|:- FACEBOOK -:|:- SKETCHBOOK -:|:- Available for freelance: Spellsword95@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inspired by Minsk from Baldur's gate, my BOris will have a miniature giant space mouse as a pet
    C&Cs are welcome. I had much trouble with hands, as always, so if anyone is up for a repaint, be my guest
    Name:  boris the lovable.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  161.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blindlynx: The gun doesn't sit right on his shoulders, I think it would look better behind the collar rather directly behind the head. I agree with Marco Lombardi about the hat, maybe it can be disguised with a futuristic look to match the outfit?

Tenpeoplez: I love the idea of a knitwear clad bodyguard. I know you said sewing, but the image is sticking in my mind.

Pimpwacker: It looks to me like the gun is hovering and not actually resting on his shoulder, it needs to drop slightly so it comes in contact with the character.

Artificially awake: Holding her up with one hand like that doesn't look very friendly, would it work better if she was sitting on his shoulders?

Malign Asunder: He doesn't look that frightened. Not that he should be standing on a chair screaming or anything, but a more worried facial expression?

Bashful titan: I think the far right, with the miniature handbag sized dog (I don't know what they're called) is a good contrast for the tough guy.

B.D.B: The hands are very big, use the head as reference to work out their size.

I've missed some people I know, but I'm tired and want to go to bed.

Boris has been told he is stupid all his life, upon finding a Rubik's cube he vowed he would prove the world wrong and solve the puzzle. Twenty years later he is still trying, and has it around his neck so he can have a few turns in his free time.

Critiques welcomed!

Name:  Borissketch.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  103.5 KB

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, lovable Boris. Known for his dapper dress and signature heart-shaped ascot; he's also been known to make his trusty bat, Lucy, go snicker snack.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if I'll have time to finish this one but thought I'd share my idea.
    Boris wants to give you a flower. I wanted to elongate his arms but I'm not sure how well it works, would love some feedback about that or anything else.

Name:  CHOW 351 - Boris Loveable Bodyguard.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  423.7 KB

@Moirae I love the expression and pose of yours, he doesn't really seem confused by the rubric cube just contemplative.

@B.D.B the stretched out arm looks a little wonky on the forearm. However the shoulder pad and mouse look great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thumbs while I was thinking through some things. I think I'll have Boris reflecting on how fragile life can be as a butterfly either lands on his finger or flutters passed him. Soaked in blood from a job well done.

I think a hammer or this two sword thing I have going on may be a good weapon.

Name:  CHoW#351_CrookedhornWIP001.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  50.7 KB

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 166