Creepy piece resurrected!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Creepy piece resurrected!

Hello guys! For those who remember few weeks ago I've posted a WIP (here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ece?highlight=) but it raised many (valid) objections. Soooooo, here is a different version, what do you think? Obviously it's very rough so far but the general idea is here so any advices in order to improve it are welcome.

Name:  Lovecraft.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  107.8 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 794 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think the narrative is more effective now. It's clear that she's shocked and confused by what she's found.

I'm still curious as to where this is and how she found it, and the upper left quadrant of the image is very bare. Perhaps you can add some narrative clues that also give us something to look at and tie the compositional elements together. Think about what the composition needs and then think about what could fit that need and add another piece to the puzzle that is your narrative.

Another option would be to crop the left side off and make it a vertical piece.

You might want to consider using a Dutch angle where you rotate the whole image like 10 degrees, like the camera we're looking through is on a tilt. I don't personally like that style, but it can help give the viewer the feeling that something is 'off' here, increasing psychological tension in the mood.

I would really like to see some hands a little closer to her, maybe even on her, trying to drag her down. That would help the composition by leading us to her via the arms and make it feel more active, like the arms are a real threat to her and she needs to wake up from the shock and get out of there before they pull her in.

Also, push the values on the figure. There should be a strong core shadow between the light from the lamp and any reflected/atmospheric light that would be coming from the right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I've worked a bit on it. Esentially on value.
    @Dierat: I agree about the upper left side emptiness and I plan to work about it. The tilted idea seems good to me too. I will probably integrate tis in the final step.
    What do you think so far?

Name:  Lovecraft-001.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  102.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hum... seems this thread doesn't interest a lot people but whatever, I'm stubborn.
    I wasn't satisfied by the results I had so far and colors are always hard to handle for me, especially when everything else is not right. Soooo, I'm back to my salvation modus operandi and went to grayscale. Any thought?

Name:  Lovecraft-004.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  88.6 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 794 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is that with the tilt? It's a little hard to tell. I would do a bunch of variations with different levels of rotation to find out which looks best. I googled for dutch angle images to see how it's usually done, and some of them are quite extreme with good results.

Name:  SA12.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  62.9 KB

Also try rotating it the other way. If the hands were up and the girl were done, I think they would make them seem even more threatening. The more you rotate her up, the more safe and empowered she will appear.

And maybe move that lamp to the left a little. As the brightest element in the scene, it's going to attract a lot of attention, but moving it further off-center might help alleviate that.

This is a bit of a nitpick but I don't get the shadow on the left side of the lamp. If that's being cast by the metal strip on the left side of the lamp, wouldn't that shadow be cast directly left of the lamp (rather than left and back)?

Great work on the face btw; her eyes look really freaked out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dierat View Post
    Is that with the tilt? It's a little hard to tell. I would do a bunch of variations with different levels of rotation to find out which looks best. I googled for dutch angle images to see how it's usually done, and some of them are quite extreme with good results.
    I've decided to move further in the details and give space around here in order to make the tilting modification at the end if necessary. I'm still unsure about the best composition (yeah, I know thumbnails :-) ). I've mirored the image and, I don't know, seems to work better for my eyes. I'm struggling with the door now, I haven't been able to give it any kind of likeness so far.

Name:  Lovecraft-004.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  92.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For those interested here is the final(?) version:

Name:  Untitled-005.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  117.2 KB