dont know what to draw
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: dont know what to draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question dont know what to draw

im sure you guys and gals have had this problem, you sit down at your desk, you got everything you need, then you look at your paper, and,,,,, you got nothing, im not the greatest illustrator(dont even like the word, im more of a "kid who draws"), i dont have any reference books or books for "inspiration" (Yeah im a high school student im poor, so what?) so any exercises or sites that are meant to get you started into creative thought? Tips and tricks or whatever you do, please post it

Ive done it before and ill do it again BWAHAHAHA!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do you have photoshop?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yep, but like i said, im not the best art type person, so my photoshop skills are well horrible

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    draw what you want to. draw from life, from books, from TV, from imagination.

if you don't want to draw, go do something else.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm happy i never got to suffer from this problem but here are 2 ''tricks'' i like to use.

1- pick up a dictionary, then stab it on the side with your pencil and open it where it hits. The 1st word you see you draw it, or make it as close as possible to it's meaning. And go on like that until you fill up your page with tons of weird stuff. And if you're able to make them all work together well... it's even better.

2- same thing except you ask people around you to name object / famous people / living things and make up all these together.

*so i dunno... i do that to challenge myself sometimes. But it can also work for lack of inspiration i guess.

edit : well do this if you can draw without references... if not well you can always go outside and draw different environments.

Good luck my friend !

alx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no no no i wasnt going to say use photoshop to draw

i was going to say do the technique andrew showed us in texas

scribble in ps in black and white - different brushes, erase, cut, blah blah.

then pick a section, cut it and put it in a nex canvas that is 4x its size. now flip the image so it fill up each corner of the canvas.

now just search around and erase little by little, looking for interesting shapes as you go.

in texas this worked really well and i spotted a kind of mongolian samurai face - i pointed it out and andrew went with it.

this kind of thing loosens up your creativity and gets you in the right frame of mind then you just go with it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i want to draw, i just cant think of anything......i dont have any books with something to look at to draw from cept old my old picture books from when i six, T.V. is like bad cartoons (dont have cable) i draw sorta anime-ish or cartoon style, and i just cant find anyone/thing that i want to draw, and to draw from imagination haha, T.V. has ruined it pretty effectively (it being my imagination)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by no skillz
    i draw sorta anime-ish or cartoon style

ok...well stop right now cuz it aint cool.

Quote Originally Posted by no skillz
    T.V. has ruined it pretty effectively (it being my imagination)
    Hmmm... we're gonna have to find a cure... Draw from life !!1

Then from what you remember you can draw/erase as many times as you want untill you get better.

Then when you're better at it, you will of course increase your imagination ( trust me, you will ). And then, if you still have problems at some points well use my 2 previous techniques.

Really, that's all there is to do. Practice and keep on doing it.

------------

edit : By draw from life i mean get the hell out of home, stop watching tv and take a walk to the park or downtown and bring a sketchbook and fill it up.

who cares if it doesnt look perfect at first and if people look at you in a trange way. You might even get some unexpected tip so then you can buy a snack and then keep on drawing till late at night. That will make you busy for a while.

And if you do so, well i sware in less than a year you'll get super uber good compared to what you do right now.

Just do it !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soft--> whats wrong with the anime or cartoon style, its not Simpsons cartoon look-a-like, i always kind of wanted to draw like CowBoy Bebop or some other cool show (I can tell people already are gonna be whining about my taste...) i have done some realism people portraits (with a model or picture its easy for me) so i have done some, i have also done a buncha, i mean a buncha architechture (Sp?) sketches, , , i just like sort of cartoon stuff because its well, i dont know what it is, i just like it

edit-> im not a typical fat american kid who sits on his ass eating twinkies, i do do alot of my drawing at the park, drawing landscapes is pretty easy so the park is boring unless there are people, in which case i pull my hat down a bit and try not to stare as i do a sketch or two of that person,,,, i just like to do pics with something going on or cool subject matter, and i cant think of things like that

Form--> I think i understand, ill try it out next time i got photoshop open,,,,hope i get some kewl results and not a big scribble 8D

Edit--> hope i dont come off looking like a major jerk, , , i dont know why but i feel like i said something bad, not sure if i did though, , , just feelin guilty for reasons unknown i guess........

Last edited by no skillz; August 3rd, 2004 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before drawing anime(cartoon, comics... whatever), you must have a base to draw on it. A good understanding of anatomy, a lot of drawing from life(to build a library), etc...
    Begining by choosing is style IS wrong. Style come after a while, all by itself.
    If you only like to do one thing, it will bore you (like it seem it do here) and you will stop. Try new challenge, try to surpass yourself, become better. Maybe you will stop drawing cartoon, maybe not. Nothing's wrong with that.
    Just know that most good artist have a good grasp of technical skill. Try it, you will see you're becoming better, you draw faster, you will draw more too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A great deal of my inspiration comes from everyday observation, such as driving past the steel reprocessing plant and concrete plant on my way to dallas, or studying the undercarriage of trucks at stoplights. When I see something cool, I don't stop there and go on thinking about what I was thinking about before. I've trained myself to consider exactly why it's cool, and I file this away- both the concrete image of the object and the more fleeting impression I derived from it. It's not entirely necessary to sketch what I see as I see it, just that I consider it important enough to remembr for later. When you see something interesting, don't stop at "that's cool...". Think about it. Study it. Consider its context, what factors caused you to notice it in the first place. You have to be willing to be easily distracted, let your environment pull you around a bit. If you really consider finding inspiration important enough to do that, you might find inspiration finds you first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    orban--> i do have a somewhat small library of anatomy for my pics(hand drawn from bio books), its mostly shows major muscle groups, i have about 15-20 pages of anatomy, so no worries there,,, i draw cartoon style because realism drawin's (i think that is what you are trying to recommend i do) i feel are kind of easy (when you have a model or a picture) and they are not very interesting to draw.

M.C.--> So i should anyalse(Sp?) my enviroment and "cool things" around me? i am intrigued,,,

P.S.--> M.C.--> i just checked out some of your posts, and theyre SO good! i think your art is pretty sweet man,,, i have to try out what you recommended,,,,

edit--> okay checking out everybody who posted here art and stuff, and i just wanted to say WHOA! SoftDrawer i checked out your sketch book, yowza, when i meant anime cartoonish (yea i prolly described it wrong, my bad) i meant like that, totally sweet!

Form and Jetpack--> MY junky laptop doesnt want to load any of your pics, so ill just assume your really good, like everybody else who replied to my question....

Last edited by no skillz; August 3rd, 2004 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got 6 or 7 books on anatomy, just for ref.
    I got some books on architecture(need to buy more... need money).
    I got lot of book on artist. Of all kind.
    But the library I speak off is a mental library. One that you build by drawing, drawing, drawing some more, etc from life. Drawing from life is NOT easy. Try to do it well, you will see. Look at Llewellyn work - if you can do the same, and if it's easy for you... well, I will say nothing more.
    Learning to draw is mostly learning to see. If you want to do all your life anime like drawing, well, good luck. If you're serious about drawing, draw from life too, you will understand how the other become so good.

I've just look at your other post. It's not the first time people try to make you understand that. Maybe you should be a little more open and think about it?
    So I'm off, I hope it will help you think and improve Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What To Draw?

Remember how you felt on 9/11?
    Well draw it at http://www.nowyouhavecontrol.com

Members who have read this thread: 1