Which school for 3D Animation?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Which school for 3D Animation?

Hey guys, I'm a senior in high-school right now and trying to decide which college to go to for 3D Animation.
    I have been using Maya for over 2 years now, and am eager to learn more. Right now I've been accepted to Drexel, Pratt, SVA, SCAD, and Ringling (but not for the CA major sadly). While I would love to go to SVA, they offered me no scholarship money and 60k a year is way out of my price range. Drexel's program seemed underdeveloped when I went and visited last year. So it's honestly down to Pratt or SCAD which with scholarships have nearly the same cost for me right now. I've seen a lot of student work come out of SCAD that looked pretty good, however the one down side is that it is nowhere near any animation studios, so no real chance for internships. On the other hand Pratt gives me immense opportunity for internships, being in NYC, but I have seen very little of their work, and the work that I have seen (at least for 3D animation) honestly seemed lacking. Of course if anyone knows any work from Pratt and would share it with me, I would be really grateful. If anyone has some experience with or knowledge of either school and wants to give me some feedback, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there! have you heard of Gnomon school of visual effects? its in Los Angeles, California, and it is one of the best schools out there for 3d animation and visual effects. It is on the pricey end, but you can apply for financial aid. they have an open house every month and tons of workshops throughout the year. You would be right in the center of the entertainment hub of the world, and most of the teachers are working professionals in the industry. i would check out there website and see if it interests you http://www.gnomonschool.com/ you can also set up an appointment with the admissions staff for more information! they also offer summer programs for high school students hope this helps!

I dont know too much information about Pratt, but i heard SCAD is a great school! SCAD really focuses on you mastering the fundamentals first, which is a great thing. I know someone that graduated from there, and now he is designing car models at Ford! pretty cool, you can get great job opportunities from that school.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 4