Please Tell me what you think?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Please Tell me what you think?

I'd really like some feedback on this one. Thanks much!Name:  ponder_by_surrealistonafarm-d6lvx8f.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  221.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    eh... it looks nice?

I think a lot of people here, when they come into the thread and try to critique this work, are just stumped. They don't know what to say with respect to this piece so they say nothing. Like it says in the stickies, this ins't the right forum for "ooh pretty" comments and people tend to just not say anything if they feel they can't contribute.

It's a lot easier when someone draws a perspective or a figure and you can go in and say stuff like "the leg isn't in correct place" or "the arm need more foreshortening" and stuff like that because in those cases it's very clear what's supposed to be correct and what consists an error.

Your piece is built from disjoint sketches and copy&paste inserts, connected by a color pattern. It's very hard to decide what would be "correct" or "incorrect" in this context.

I think in this case you need to be very specific with what you want out of the critique, if you want to get anything out of it.

EDIT: the space between the woman's arm and the woman's body is unfilled. This feels like an error.

The heights by great men reached and kept,
    Were not attained by sudden flight,
    For they, while they companions slept,
    Were toiling upwards in the night"

(Henry Wadsworth)

Thanks Amir0! I guess what I'm wanting to know is do the composition work harmoniously? Or does it look like just a bunch of stuff put together? I mean, It sort of is, I don't really know how to phrase what I'm trying to say. I guess I'm wanting to know if it "works"?

A question for you: What are you trying to tell / achieve with this piece ?

The heights by great men reached and kept,
    Were not attained by sudden flight,
    For they, while they companions slept,
    Were toiling upwards in the night"

(Henry Wadsworth)

6. It's just meant to look pretty to be completely honest. It started out as a sketch and I took it from there. No real symbolism here, but I did make it when I was going some pretty rough personal stuff.

Good art is functional art.

If making this helped you through your rough spot, then it's fulfilled a purpose.
    If you're still getting through that rough spot, then keep working on it, or start another piece.

What this looks like to me is experimentation with composition and mixing media. (I just took a look at your sketchbook– this is a leap forward!)
    Given that, here's a critique:

• The colors are the strongest attribute. There are a lot of colors here, but they feel cohesive. There's also a decent range of value.
    • Most interesting is the application of media and collage elements. You destroyed that playing card and made an interesting texture with it. The newspaper causes the color to blend in a way that it doesn't on the rest of the image. Take note of these things and try again and again to see what else you can do.
    • The composition is almost there. You've created a circle within a rectangle which is a difficult situation to pull off, and it feels unfinished and a little lopsided because of it. Next time let the elements of the piece go to the edges and fill the corners.
    • Does the subject matter mean anything? If so, let it tell a story. Every element in your composition is a chance to add to the overall story. If, as you said, it's just mean to "look pretty", then keep going– put everything in there. Find things that interest you, that you respond emotionally to and put them there regardless if it makes sense.

Have fun, experiment, think as you move forward– ask questions and answer them.

Extra: I'd like to see you create a piece on a different size canvas using nothing but paint and newspaper.

8. I clicked on it because I like the colors/color relationships. The left arm is a little weird.

The composition feels crowded, some of the elements could use some spacing. There are books on mixed media that you can look at. And the same time it could be stronger if you know your foundations.

ww.amazon.com/Mixed-Media-Revolution-Creative-Reusing/dp/1440318719

Members who have read this thread: 38