kvick's sketches again

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: kvick's sketches again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

kvick's sketches again

Well, since it seems cghub is potentially dead forever I need a place to put up some art D:

I don't even know if I'm going to keep up with this sketchbook cause every time I say I will I tend to...... not lol

I honestly don't paint much anymore either so there's that too, BUT IF I DO i'll post here.

k so anyways:

WIP thing
    Name:  robotdood.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  181.6 KB

and sketch thing
    Name:  port.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  128.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's a shame you don't do much drawing anymore since the first wip guy has some potential. The area around the head and shoulder looks the biz.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks David!

Also Thanks fireblade, yeah I dunno, I don't get as much enjoyment out of it as I used to, still do it from time to time but I've been trying to learn programming to make games and music a lot more lately. I like to still keep the skill from getting too rusty though.

Here's another scifi guy sketch
    Name:  doodle.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  428.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Me and my buddy put up a dota item on the steam workshop a few days ago, please support it if you play the game and like the work!

Also im broke and need cash lolz.

LINK TO WORKSHOP!:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...67&searchtext=

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  165.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your painting and your character moding is excellent !! Great !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks fefe

Your figure drawings are looking very good! Keep working on those basic shapes and you'll be pro in no time.

Two things, I planned on going to bed but ended up doing some perspective stuff, no real goal, just relaxing.
    Name:  perspectivePrac.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  508.9 KB

and this snow thing I never got to upload to cghub , I guess it's a wip, I dunno, I'll probably never finish it
    Name:  snowthing.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  193.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great improvement and congrats on your assiduity because you've mage huge progress since your first SB.

Please check my SKETCHBOOK,eager for any advices!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha revanchie thanks, I honestly thought that those old images would all be dead by now, those are super old. God... 2006 so long ago haha

figured I'd do one more sketch for tonight

Name:  sketcherdoodle.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  265.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wicked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Doctore

I was reading through some other SBs and someone mentioned this site ctrlpaint.com
    I checked out the first perspective video and decided to try it out!

did 5 drawings
    Name:  perspectivePrac4_18_2014.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  263.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dig all the rawness of the sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa your sketchbook is pretty killer, Those paintings you did are really great. Cant wait to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CHV166: Thanks dawg

Charles Ratteray: Thanks, you've got some great work as well!

IsaacEs: Thanks Isaac, hope I can deliver

So this is something a little different, I've always had issues with patience in my artwork, unlike programming or making music it's very difficult for me to get sucked into a painting or drawing these days, I get a lot of anxiety for some reason. So as a result I've always been pretty terrible at drawing in perspective which clashes with my desire to always improve my fundamental.s ( I guess you could argue that patience is the most fundamental skill of all )So I tried to do a study of a SINGLE BUILDING instead of going crazy like I used to and telling myself I'd do everything in a picture. And I realized a few things part way through doing this:

Name:  building.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  99.1 KB

I realized if trying to be accurate as possible in perspective IT CAN TAKE FREAKING FOREVER and very often is not accurate after all the effort, or at least with my lack of understanding some underlying principles into calculating measurements stretched out in perspective.

So I decided to try a new experiment, do an orthographic drawing and try to project it into perspective afterwards. So here's the beginning of this:

Name:  OthoBldg_00.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  162.3 KB

This took hours, I didn't expect it to take this long and I'm sure if I had duplicated more I could have found ways to speed up the process, but I wanted to make sure everything was measured and done by hand so I understood exactly what was going on with every piece.

Up next, made a perspective grid with two points 90 degrees apart, cropped the orthogonal image and transformed it by lining it up with perspective lines. Behind and in front to understand it as a 3d object instead of a billboard-like representation:
    Name:  OthoBldg_02.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  128.7 KB
    Name:  OthoBldg_03.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  122.9 KB

Then this is where I stopped because.... I don't feel like drawing all day and night
    So basically it's just a wedge-like projection of the silhouette:
    Name:  OrthoBldg_01.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  117.5 KB

So yeah my finger hurts too for some reason, probably from smashing keys all day, so ima take a break on this for now, but i thought it was an interesting way to explore far out of my comfort zone trying to be as technical as possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful stuff man! Can't wait to see more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work! very crisp and accurate for the most part. Keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Your improvement from your first sketchbook is certainly amazing! Regarding patience, I too wish I possessed more of it, especially for perspective!

Also, what do you use for your perspective drawing? Is it mostly traditional or digital, or a mixture? Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Minella thank you

Thanks R-K!

Thanks dragning, it's certainly been longer than it feels, I almost never draw traditionally anymore, im a super nerd and I love technology, can do so much shit with it I love it.

I am working on my own game currently so I actually do have some work building up, I'll be sure to post it all here when we're done!

But for now, felt like randomly doing a portrait tonight

Name:  mary_med.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  266.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh HI!! Great work man, keep on progressing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh dang, whats crackin seth, didn't know you still were around this site .

Did a commission, I don't do many of these, but they are always challenging and I learn a lot from them when I do do them.

This is a piece for an unreleased book though the art is not made to be put in the book or sold, just an image the author wanted as a poster for one of the intense moments in the novel .

Thought it might be a fun thing to post a little bit of the process since I actually have some saved.

The two grayscales are sketches, I personally still like the more cinematic quality of the first one but the author felt as though it was a bit too massive for the creature and I also felt like it didn't have the right space for having a lot of chaos going on in a single image.

I ended up doing a few other sketches but not being satisfied with any of the results I was getting so I decided to try something i'd never done which was just sort of do a real crappy photoshop of random internet images together like a collage, and that was the sketch he ended up really liking so I went with that. The kraken is just images of octopi photobashed together in an interesting assortment, the author was clear that it needed to look alien and not like it was just some giant octopus monster from earth but it also should feel grounded so I felt manipulating images would help give a somewhat grounded and distorted sense of reality.

After that I painted over the b&w sketch until I felt like it needed to transition to color. Often I feel like painting in black and white is a real test of your fundamental abilities with creating proper form and design in a painting so it's important for me to know the painting could stand on its own even without color. At the same time, if you intend the finished result of a piece to be in color, it's important to add color after you feel like the major components are in place in black and white but not completely rendered. If you fully render an image in black and white and try to just add color with a layer and some photoshop tricks, I'm sure you could do it and create an interesting style doing so, but it has this odd sort of washy effect that I personally feel damages the sense of form in the painting and therefore less believable, which means after you add a color layer, to get the full potential of a piece you will need to repaint over the color layer with pure bitmap(normal layer) to make it really pop.

Basically saying, if you plan on a colored result, start with black and white to simplify the process, but add color early on so you can get an idea for the end result.

I also got to say though, it's extremely important in any creative endeavor to maintain a fluid process

Even though you may plan and plan and plan, there are moments in creating something where you will have to make significant decisions and you have to be willing to destroy your previous plan and build a new one or take a completely unexpected path for sake of experimentation, I find when I'm deep in the work of a song or painting that these things ALWAYS come in any prolonged endeavor and you have to make a choice, and it's not just a go one way and you can reload your old save and continue if you screw up. You have emotional momentum while you're working and you have to feed that momentum to get your best work from yourself, if you take a risky path in your work and it doesn't pan out, it costs you energy and often a lot of time. Usually by the end of it, whether you have a good or bad result you will feel somewhat drained, especially if the risk doesn't pay off, you either quit and do something else or you go back to an earlier save but even if you go back your momentum will be out of whack, you won't be in the same emotional or mental headspace and it can often cost you some potentially good work if you hadn't taken the risk.

But if you have the option I would urge anyone learning to really go for those risks if you aren't on a strict schedule, if you work hard you will receive art that will amaze yourself that you often won't be able to replicate.

There's something to be said about the act of discovery in art. It's not enough to just work hard at the same thing over and over, at some point you build a tolerance like with anything, it's almost always best the first few times. Then your enthusiasm will not come with the same intensity after you've experienced something for the first time. It's a personal philosophy of mine to always be trying new things and learning new things because the best work I feel I've done in anything is when I first discover it through hard work and experimentation. But when you find one of those really cool things while experimenting you MUST have the discipline to follow through on it and FINISH that work. This is something I've often regretted when I look back at old stuff, more-so with music than with painting for myself.

Your art will be 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration, that's a Thomas Edison quote and I really believe it. It's something that went in my ears on numerous occasions but never seemed to truly sink in until a few days ago.

Anyways, that turned from explaining a WIP to some theory about things I've been thinking about for the past year or so haha. Anyways, I hope someone likes the art, I'm going to go get back to work

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Kvick; June 17th, 2014 at 01:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ey it's Kvick

the work you put into studying fundamentals, like the perspective experiment is impressive. you achieve the cinematic, look really nicely in this last piece, it's a style i want for my own work.

i'm interested in seeing what kind of game you're working on, keep on perspiring

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah that portrait you most recently did looks awesome, love the warm under lit effect on her top and the hair is nicely done! I think you would have benefited if you added some motion blur to the characters running in the above piece or blurred their edges but a otherwise really cool piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great Sketches!!! Very inspiring, keep on posting bro!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn you call these sketches? Some of these I would call finished. Great sketchbook, I am absolutely speechless in the awe of your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is excellent !! I love your kraken !! Great !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The kraken is really cool! By the way, I appreciate your explanation of not only your opinion on coloring, but also on experimentation and perseverance in art. There is definitely some wisdom there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks kan! good to see you're still around, I really like the new work on your devart, I might do a piece with some of those crazy textures you have posted in your SB as well

Thanks Jack, yeah I'm not totally satisfied with how that piece turned out, part of it was the constraint of needing to have lots of chaos going on which is generally the opposite of what I try to achieve with most of my personal art, I tend to favor one main thing going on in any piece so it was good practice. As for the motion blur suggestion, I didn't try it but I almost always do try some form of blur when creating a final piece at some point, I just felt like it wouldn't have fit with how the rest of it was falling in place, I much would have rather emphasized some more impressionistic elements and economic brush strokes, but I'm just not that fucking talented!

thanks helojoshin!

thanks holdolart, yeah maybe they're not so sketchy... in the years developing my talents my primary form of practice was real quick 5 10 and 20 minute figure drawings 90% of the time, as a result I got a lot of practice NOT FINISHING ANYTHING. Which is a terrible terrible habit, so I guess I strive to put a bit more work into any piece I start these days, still not perfect but I think I'm getting better at it.

Thanks fefe!

Thanks dragning, I'm glad you could find it helpful or insightful, often I feel like I'm just writing that kind of stuff for myself to get it out of my head to free up space for more crap to fill it!

I was being a slacking son of a bitch today and was watching a tournament on twitch instead of working, so I somehow got myself to stop and make a sketch. I really don't paint nearly as much as I used to, pretty much everything in this book is like all I've been doing it's kind of depressing, so it's nice to have something to put up once in awhile. I've been taking a class for hardsurface modelling in maya so that's been interesting, but I haven't had time to devote to freekin practicing other than the homework! D: I've been helping out some friends at the Unity SF office move to a new building so that's been keeping me busy on a nearly fulltime schedule but that's almost done so maybe I can get myself to do some more art, I might start posting some concepts for the game I'm working on in here.

Anyways, here's the sketch, it's a maybe-WIP, I have this weird love/hate relationship with mechanical things, on one hand I love how they look, but on the other I hate the process of creating technical things. So I'm this weird messy gray area where I try to make things look technical but I'm just painting impressions of it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kvick; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! What you call a mere 'sketch' is something I could only hope to do one day! I really like front view of the suit in your last post! Just wondering, are these supposed to be of the same design?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work...keep at it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 106