Venomisia - Composition 1.1

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Venomisia - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Venomisia - Composition 1.1

I gave it a try but I think Rembrandt would not be happy seeing this. I was thinking of not posting it at all but well here it is. I will try doing this almost every day. Maybe it will get better, this is really a shame.

Name:  lvlup1.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  110.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,203 Times in 2,747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice job on your values. you can focus on shapes and mapping things out accurately by flipping the images horizontally and vertically so you keep fresh eyes as you go. this will keep you from seeing it as a thing and keep you focus on just matching shapes and silhouette. if we can get your shapes mapped in accurately these are going to be sweet, and i am confident that you can get that done.

keep up the good work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took the advice and it really helps a lot! I took this painting by Bartholomaus as it contains a lot of shapes and I was trying to focus on those as much as possible. It was also a pretty hard piece in my opinion. Name:  lvlup2.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  302.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mucha

I love Mucha a lot so I did a study of his work. I realise it is starting to get easyer to position everything. Only sadly I realised my values are a bit lighter. Oops =X.
    Name:  lvlup3.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  262.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fret not Venomisia, you WILL improve. And don't ever keep the bad studies to yourself - all you will get here is helpful comments, I guarantee.

I had the same feeling after doing my first study and looking at it. Having seen all these awesome pieces people had posted really made me want to run and hide, but remember; This is not a contest and you're doing this for yourself. Not for anyone else

Keep practising and posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start on these. When you get your shapes worked out well, pay very close attention to the values. You want to match the values you see as closely as you can. It is important to be very honest about what you are seeing. try to put the accurate value down with each stroke as otherwise you end up having to fix things along the way and being accurate will save you time. Really take the time to observe and compare and choose the right value. If you are off, adjust it, don't keep working and come back to it. You are doing great...just need to focus in on value a little more.

Keep it up.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like Agerkvist said, you will improve .

The Bartholomaus was indeed a hard one.
    I used too be very rough and sketchy in my studies too. Try to squint your eyes, and look at the painting as if there were only shapes, it can help for the values.
    Sometimes before I start a study, I use a filter in photoshop that will get rid of all the details, so that they are only abstract shapes, and observe it, to see how I can simplify the real one. It can help if you don't know where to start and how to process all the information you see
    (which is sometimes a problem for me)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vermeer

Thanks a lot for the critiques!
    This is a study of a painting by Vermeer. I think I got a bit closer to it than on my previous studies. I am wondering if I should make a grid for myself next time. Or is that cheating? I'm thinking about putting lines on the places where some shapes should be.
    Here it is. I realised that when I zoom out to a thumbnail, the more it looks like each other the color the value is. Which I kind of had when studying this one.
    Name:  lvlup4-2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  296.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Correggio

So I did one more studie. The filter was a really good idea. Thanks a lot Fincks!
    I know I'm still not near where I should put everything in place, but it's getting easyer in my opinion. In this piece is a emphasis, as Madonna is a lot lighter in values than the Satyr, She's also very light compared to the dark background. Also the angel creates a balance with the satyr.
    Name:  lvlup5.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  202.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It would be helpful to use a soft edged airbrush, fairly large, to go in and build up the forums on the figures. Before you do so though, double and triple check all your positive and negative shapes so you are sure you are modeling things in the right place.

Keep it up..this is great progress.

jm

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started using thebig soft brush and went into smaller one as further as I went. After that I started using the harder one. It really looks a lot more in place now! Not completely yet, but maybe in some practice. This painting by Fragonard was in my literature book when I was still in highschool and I always kept looking at it.
    Name:  lvlup6.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  367.3 KB

I realised one thing when being finished and put this together. When I started getting closer to details I spread out on the furthest parts of what I did with the soft brush which made her chubby. I will pay more attention to it next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Riviere Briton The long rest

This one was so diffucult. I went over the one hour limit. Actually also did the 30min first, then went doing other things, then went back to it. I seem to realise my mistakes better that way. Also this painting is really sad and full of emotion. I didn't manage to catch the feeling of the piece . But it was a good try. I want to get back at it when I improve a bit. Give it a second try at catching the feeling as well.
    Name:  lvlup7.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  174.0 KB

I kept a little process on this one.
    Name:  lvlup7 30min.png
Views: 48
Size:  272.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rembrandt

Again I choose a piece by rembrandt. I like the values in his works a lot. So I did one of his portraits. Again I kept a little progress.

Name:  lvlup8.png
Views: 43
Size:  469.7 KB
    Name:  lvlup830min.png
Views: 44
Size:  473.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That Vermeer study is lookin particularly good I think.

Try really keeping a close eye on your shapes and triple check them before going into detail, that would help tremendously I think.

Keep it up!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Agerkvist View Post
    That Vermeer study is lookin particularly good I think.

Try really keeping a close eye on your shapes and triple check them before going into detail, that would help tremendously I think.

Keep it up!
    Thanks !
    I am trying to get them as right as possible. I think next time I will try getting the shapes a bit differently. Now I know how to get the placements right, it should be less of a problem I hope.
    Oh I wanted to tell you, that your process is amazing! I've silently been spying on it =X. Great work!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you flip the canvas horizontally and vertically when you do these? It can help alot and let you see the shapes in a more abstract way than as hands, eyes etc.

And thanks alot for taking to time to look at my studies aswell

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are doing much better with your values. your shapes still need to be carefully observed, even more than you are doing now, for example the scale of her head in the portrait that is most recent. also, double checking the values will be wise. before you finish please check all shapes, then check values, then check edges. Once you have checked them all flip the images upside down and check them one last time. i think you will see more improvement if you implement a quality control pass like that at the end.

very nice start...just keep them rolling. You are making progress. -jm

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am flipping the canvas very often. I see things and then I repair them. Then I switch back and see more things that went really wrong =/. It's really weird. When I do pencil studies it's so much easyer to get shapes right. Maybe I'm too much used to that. But I want to do them digital and will get them right! Sooner or later.
    Right now I am working on this one. It takes a lot of time. I felt like trying to start a bit differently, so it looks very funky at the beginning, hahaha, there's also so much I still have to repair T_T..

Name:  lvlup9.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  540.0 KBName:  lvlup930min.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  84.8 KB

I will continue on this one tonight I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're definately improving, but I agree that you should focus on your shapes more. If you decide on a shape that's wrong to begin with, everything else will suffer from it and if you discover it too late it can be such a pain to remedy.

That being said, it can still be very hard even when you're trying your best - trust me, we're in the same boat here I think my best advice is to be very meticulous and conscious of every stroke. Don't just jot down lines or strokes "because". Think about each one and if you don't get it right, erase and try again. It's very slow, mechanical and doesn't feel very free or creative and all these things we love, but that will come with practice.

A thing that really works for me is taking a step back from the painting. I literally get up out of my chair and walk a few steps backwards. I also let the study be on my screen when doing other things like trying to get me three months old son to sleep etc. It gives a fresh perspective and helps me get shapes down better especially.

Your current study is looking really good valuewise, but you're a bit big on your shapes, but we all do that Keep going and don't get deterred!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I continued on the piece, trying to get the shapes more right. I feel like I'm getting a bit burned up on it actually. I am not working on it in very long parts since I have 2 admissions near, so I am spending my time mostly on them. I work on these like 30minutes, then I go do things I have to do and later I work on this again. I feel I can concentrate better with splitting things. And it does help a lot. I also realise there is a big difference when I work 1 hour straight. What was off kinda stays nearly same. And when I split it in 2 parts of 30minutes there is a difference in how the things were. I think I will call this one finished for now and start a new one to focus on the things that keep going wrong, to stop them from going wrong.

Name:  lvlup930min.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  146.4 KBName:  lvlup9.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  540.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your shapes are getting laid in well...that one is very very complex so yes I do think moving on is a good thing. Once you get your shapes roughed in that far start with more clear information (putting it) in the focal areas. Then it is just a matter of rendering and cleaning up edges.

Keep it up. -jm

Members who have read this thread: 18