Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Venomisia - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    That Vermeer study is lookin particularly good I think.

Try really keeping a close eye on your shapes and triple check them before going into detail, that would help tremendously I think.

Keep it up!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agerkvist View Post
    That Vermeer study is lookin particularly good I think.

Try really keeping a close eye on your shapes and triple check them before going into detail, that would help tremendously I think.

Keep it up!
    Thanks !
    I am trying to get them as right as possible. I think next time I will try getting the shapes a bit differently. Now I know how to get the placements right, it should be less of a problem I hope.
    Oh I wanted to tell you, that your process is amazing! I've silently been spying on it =X. Great work!!

Thanks
    Do you flip the canvas horizontally and vertically when you do these? It can help alot and let you see the shapes in a more abstract way than as hands, eyes etc.

And thanks alot for taking to time to look at my studies aswell

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,345 Times in 2,869 Posts
    you are doing much better with your values. your shapes still need to be carefully observed, even more than you are doing now, for example the scale of her head in the portrait that is most recent. also, double checking the values will be wise. before you finish please check all shapes, then check values, then check edges. Once you have checked them all flip the images upside down and check them one last time. i think you will see more improvement if you implement a quality control pass like that at the end.

very nice start...just keep them rolling. You are making progress. -jm

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am flipping the canvas very often. I see things and then I repair them. Then I switch back and see more things that went really wrong =/. It's really weird. When I do pencil studies it's so much easyer to get shapes right. Maybe I'm too much used to that. But I want to do them digital and will get them right! Sooner or later.
    Right now I am working on this one. It takes a lot of time. I felt like trying to start a bit differently, so it looks very funky at the beginning, hahaha, there's also so much I still have to repair T_T..

Name:  lvlup9.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  540.0 KBName:  lvlup930min.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  84.8 KB

I will continue on this one tonight I think.

Thanks
    You're definately improving, but I agree that you should focus on your shapes more. If you decide on a shape that's wrong to begin with, everything else will suffer from it and if you discover it too late it can be such a pain to remedy.

That being said, it can still be very hard even when you're trying your best - trust me, we're in the same boat here I think my best advice is to be very meticulous and conscious of every stroke. Don't just jot down lines or strokes "because". Think about each one and if you don't get it right, erase and try again. It's very slow, mechanical and doesn't feel very free or creative and all these things we love, but that will come with practice.

A thing that really works for me is taking a step back from the painting. I literally get up out of my chair and walk a few steps backwards. I also let the study be on my screen when doing other things like trying to get me three months old son to sleep etc. It gives a fresh perspective and helps me get shapes down better especially.

Your current study is looking really good valuewise, but you're a bit big on your shapes, but we all do that Keep going and don't get deterred!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I continued on the piece, trying to get the shapes more right. I feel like I'm getting a bit burned up on it actually. I am not working on it in very long parts since I have 2 admissions near, so I am spending my time mostly on them. I work on these like 30minutes, then I go do things I have to do and later I work on this again. I feel I can concentrate better with splitting things. And it does help a lot. I also realise there is a big difference when I work 1 hour straight. What was off kinda stays nearly same. And when I split it in 2 parts of 30minutes there is a difference in how the things were. I think I will call this one finished for now and start a new one to focus on the things that keep going wrong, to stop them from going wrong.

Name:  lvlup930min.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  146.4 KBName:  lvlup9.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  540.1 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 11,345 Times in 2,869 Posts
    your shapes are getting laid in well...that one is very very complex so yes I do think moving on is a good thing. Once you get your shapes roughed in that far start with more clear information (putting it) in the focal areas. Then it is just a matter of rendering and cleaning up edges.

Keep it up. -jm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1