Omarfr - Composition 1.1

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Omarfr - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Omarfr - Composition 1.1

Hey guys I've been working harder everyday to stray away from my very graphic illustrative style so I decided to see how the art workshops here could help. I've done two this morning both around an hour. I feel as though my shapes and values are very off. I picked both of these pieces because I really enjoy the simple moody atmosphere that they both bring around one character. Next I will try a more complicated scene.

Name:  M-P1.png
Views: 232
Size:  926.1 KB

Name:  M-P2.png
Views: 185
Size:  492.7 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there. That's a nice start. On both pics the darks should be considerably darker, on the first one especially. On the first the girl is also a lot larger than the original, while the overall shapes on both are pretty good. As you proceed, you might want to try a soft brush to support to hard one you are using now. Soft brush on soft edges and soft surfaces, hard brush for hard ones. Some of the values might also be easier to read, if they were blended together with the soft brush. Lookin' forward to more.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,256 Times in 2,794 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great to see you pushing new skills. I completely encourage that.

When you are first getting started it is very important to really focus in on the mapping out of your shapes as accurately as you can possibly get them. If you put a shape in the wrong place and commit you end up having the other shapes off and require fixing, which increases painting time. By taking just a few extra minutes early on to measure out your shapes, to compare your shapes, and be sure they are placed and drawn accurately will make the rest of the painting process, working out your values and edges, much much easier.

You should flip the images horizontally and vertically so that you see the shapes with fresh eyes. This should be part of the process and if you are already doing that, keep doing it more. The professional artists will often flip images or use a mirror to see with fresh eyes as many as three or four times a minute as they are working when things really get flowing. You can also back away...actually get up and back away...and doing this works for shapes as well as checking values and edges.

Keep up the good work.

oh...and try using a soft edged airbrush at lower opacity to control your tonal gradations. the hard edged brush is leaving pretty busy marks on some of the areas that could be more accurately portrayed with smoother value transitions.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the feedback guys. I haven't had as much time as I hoped to do these as I've been focusing on my art pieces for finals of this school year, but I got a round to doing a more complicated scene. Sadly I think I got to obsessed with trying to detail and the composition and shapes got extremely wonky. I completed this in about 3 hours.

I'm proud because I've never really done something like this before but for next one I really want to focus on accurate shapes and such so I didn't finish this one completely. I want to try and move on so I don't get to caught up in it and end up wasting time on it.

Name:  M_P3.png
Views: 101
Size:  205.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one is a REAALY complex painting... I personally would have saved it for last

Your shapes are actually pretty good, to be honest. You managed to capture the beautiful movement and "flow" Bouguereau put in this painting. Your values are pretty much accurate; still, I'd watch out for the whitest whites and the darkest darks more.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yep...you did a good job for this one being so early. bouguereaus are of the most difficult to study as there is so much subtlety going on. more flipping of the images to check your shapes prior to rendering will help. for example the woman in the lower right has bigger hips in yours. just slow down a little and check all your shapes. you have a lot of talent. you will get to the point you want to be. I am confident of that.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So it's been a while since I posted because of Finals but now I'm done and ready to get back on track. this time I picked Carvaggio's David and The Goliath. I found that what I liked most about the composition was how he used the cloth, eyes, and sword of david to direct your eyes from left to right.

Name:  M_P4.png
Views: 71
Size:  115.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful job. Keep working on your shapes. Do not let the checking of positive and negative shapes slip from your mind. You will have this in no time. I am getting the impression you widened or enlarged his torso just a little. Overall, great job on the values. This is looking good.

J

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So for this piece I decided I really need to focus on accurate shapes. I' picking perhaps a difficult piece for me because I'm particularly weak with architectual/environmental drawings. This is a concept art piece done for the game Brink. I think I'm going to slow down and really try and get the shapes down. So far I've spent 20 minutes laying out the basic shapes. Hoepfully I'll having something done by tonight or tomorrow.

Name:  MASTERWORK_6.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  SHAPES.png
Views: 46
Size:  233.9 KB

Name:  PAINTING_5.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  67.3 KB

Last edited by Omar Field-Rahman; June 3rd, 2014 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress, i think you got the shapes right on the last one, but it's a little hard to tell because i have to scroll down to see your study.
    Maybe try to put them side by side.
    On the Carvaggio's David and The Goliath, don't forget to loose some edges, with a soft brush.
    By exemple on the head or in the bottom of the torso, you can see in the original that he blend the background and the character together.

I hope you rock your exam. ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! I've been at this piece for 2 1/2 hours I'm actually pretty happy with it so far.

Name:  double2.png
Views: 44
Size:  122.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job on your shapes and atmosphere. I think the background value is a bit less of a simplified pattern than yours, and your stairs could have been handled with a little bit smaller of a brush. Look for simple patterns...the big overall patterns, as that is how he is holding this composition together and keeping it reading quickly. Nice work...keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help. I really feel as though I'm improving by doing this. I was in Italy this past week and got really inspired, seeing Rennaisance to Baroque paintings that were the size of the wall had me in tears. So I decided to do another bouguereau. So far I've worked in it for about an hour. Something in the shapes feels off. Soon I shall start rendering once I feel my shapes are perfect.

Name:  M_P6.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  69.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if your shapes are off and you can't figure it out make an animated gif with yours and the other one and it will pop back and forth and you can see the differences...use it as a last resort but flipping the images upside down and horizontally should tell you what the differences are.

the biggest area in this one I see you needing focus is on the full range of soft to sharp edges. edge work is very important to space, form and mood so keep an eye on that.

keep it up. jealous of the italy trip btw...haha.

j

Members who have read this thread: 17