Sketchbook: Springofsea's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Springofsea's Sketchbook

Hi! I'm a 22 yrs old graphic designer from Indonesia and have a hidden passion to be a concept artist one day, as do most of the people here.
    I decided to open up sketchbook to feed my drawing starve. These are few of many things that run in my right brain. Some of these are drawn during waiting time : in the bus, Starbucks, airplane, etc.

Currently I'm still in search of my concept art identity, so hopefully I will find it soon by exploring drawing stuffs here in this daily sketchbook. I have sort of interest with human, culture, and stories. I guess from that interest, I know what to start with

It's nice to be here in this forum and seeing everyone has made me motivated too. Stay awesome ppl!
    P.S : Comments and critiques are very much welcomed

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by springofsea; April 16th, 2014 at 11:51 AM.
    Can be seen carrying sketchbook around nearby bus station.
    • Springofsea's Sketchbook •
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Some of my previous stuffs with animals. The dogs are done with pencil, and the horses with pen

Thanks
    Digital practice. As I've said, I have interest with human & culture.
    Here I practice drawing Asian female face.

Thanks
    You are heading in the right direction, your drawings of dogs are very nice, watch out for proportions though they can be a bit tricky sometimes. A tip to get your started would probably be to look up some concept artists you might like and study a little from them just so you can start to develop a taste for concept art. Also don't forget to do studies of everything!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IsaacEs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Looks Great so far, Keep up the good work!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jhetzul For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacEs View Post
    You are heading in the right direction, your drawings of dogs are very nice, watch out for proportions though they can be a bit tricky sometimes. A tip to get your started would probably be to look up some concept artists you might like and study a little from them just so you can start to develop a taste for concept art. Also don't forget to do studies of everything!!!
    Hey thanks a lot for the tips! Do u have any name recommendation for concept artists? I do hear some, like FengZhu & John Howe. I'm sure there are more that I don't know

Thanks
    My theme this week is : Gestures. Each 60secs. Poses from http://posemaniacs.com

Thanks
    Yes I do, Anthony Jones, Sinixdesign(hes does videos on youtube), bluefley(deviantart) kim jung gi is a really great illustrator, Jana schirmer, Jaime Jones, Miles Johnston(has a sketchbook on here) There are alot of other ones that I just cannot think of right now

Those gestures are looking good, when doing gestures, what has helped me out the most is to think in big parts and not get obsessed on subtle things, so try making broad strokes with your pencil and think about fluidity, also you should read some loomis, he explains the human anatomy really well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacEs View Post
    Yes I do, Anthony Jones, Sinixdesign(hes does videos on youtube), bluefley(deviantart) kim jung gi is a really great illustrator, Jana schirmer, Jaime Jones, Miles Johnston(has a sketchbook on here) There are alot of other ones that I just cannot think of right now

Those gestures are looking good, when doing gestures, what has helped me out the most is to think in big parts and not get obsessed on subtle things, so try making broad strokes with your pencil and think about fluidity, also you should read some loomis, he explains the human anatomy really well.
    Thanks for the name suggestion. I've checked some of them out and truly they are really good!
    Also you got the point there about fluidity. I notice some of my gestures look a lil' bit too stiff :/

Thanks
    Gesture & some learning from Loomis. Thanks IsaacEs !

Thanks
    I tried out 30mins class figure drawing from http://artists.pixelovely.com/ and immediately love the site. Will be hanging around there for quite some time because they have interesting various photo stocks for practice
    The class starts with 30 secs - 1 mins - 5mins 45secs - 11mins 30secs.
    if anybody have anymore site recommendation for practice, pls lemme know.

Thanks
    Another gesture class.
    The first two were in 5mins 45secs and the last one was in 11mins 30secs.
    Lately I've been very busy & can't draw as much. I will update more next week once my schedule is less tight

Thanks
    Keep it up, these gestures look great!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jhetzul For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Doing girls on digital. The robot girl is my original idea. Another image is my attempt to visualize Chinese girl.

Well...Still have a lot more to catch up! Another daily gesture will be coming soon

Thanks
    Youre doing great man, that robot girl is a neat idea, the body seems a bit elongated though, so you should go back and double check that but its a really good start!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to IsaacEs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The last figure drawing in post 12 is amazing! I love the shading on that one. As for your questions about more websites, check out the resources section at Sycra.net. He has other online figure drawing tools there, as well as much more!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragning View Post
    The last figure drawing in post 12 is amazing! I love the shading on that one. As for your questions about more websites, check out the resources section at Sycra.net. He has other online figure drawing tools there, as well as much more!
    Thanks dragning! I'll practice on my gesture drawing speed. Also, I tried out opening the link. It seems the link buttons for 'resources' don't work. I can't open any links other than youtube and forums :/ is the resources content almost the same as the youtube one?

Thanks
    Aaaah my favourite graphic designer , there you are Welcome to the fold! Sweet logo you did for the website and I just love your avatar-Looks like some kind of sacred calligraphy imbued with years of meditative insight. Very Zen like.

Well you are off to a great start, you will learn loads doing quick figure studies and lot's of life drawing. Can't really advise you on much as I have so much to learn too. No doubt your path will become increasingly clear as you progress Oh yeah, love the expression on the horses face bottom of second post. Looks so happy and carefree!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by springofsea View Post
    Thanks dragning! I'll practice on my gesture drawing speed. Also, I tried out opening the link. It seems the link buttons for 'resources' don't work. I can't open any links other than youtube and forums :/ is the resources content almost the same as the youtube one?
    Sorry the links didn't work. The tools I thought you would find interesting are Quickposes and Sketchdaily. Each one is similar to Pixelovely or Posemaniacs and you can find them by simply googling their names. I hope you find them useful!

Thanks
    Updates!
    30secs gestures here.
    and i also tried something fun today : speedpaint of a movie screenshot. Not really a speedy one, because it was done in 50mins, but it's fun stuff! Gonna try this more often. Screenshot was taken from my favorite Game of Thrones season 1.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri in the sky View Post
    Aaaah my favourite graphic designer , there you are Welcome to the fold! Sweet logo you did for the website and I just love your avatar-Looks like some kind of sacred calligraphy imbued with years of meditative insight. Very Zen like.

Well you are off to a great start, you will learn loads doing quick figure studies and lot's of life drawing. Can't really advise you on much as I have so much to learn too. No doubt your path will become increasingly clear as you progress Oh yeah, love the expression on the horses face bottom of second post. Looks so happy and carefree!
    Hello bri!! finally you're dropping by my sketchbook! I just realized how Zen-like my avatar is :0 (I didn't meditate that long enough though for the sign).

I love the horses too. They are always a magical creature! I hope I can improve much like you bri. Really, your sketchbook is fast and admireable. Keep on growing!

Thanks
    Boy, I haven't drawn much here for the past few days. I should really commit more on this.
    Here are 2 pics from me today : a pencil sketch practice (i love faces!) and i finally decided to do composition 1.1 on Start. (I spend around an hour for the composition piece)

Thanks
    My 2nd study from composition 1.1. This is my personal favorite art history painting it's just adorable! Still need to practice more on speed and consistency. Daily dose of this helps me a lot in terms of value, depth of field, and of course composition.

Thanks
    There was a guy named Thomas Killigrew lived around 1600s. He was quite a famous guy back then.
    So here I did two Thomas Killigrew painting by two different artists for Composition 1.1 : Shepard and Van Dyck.

I did a little bit of art research about Thomas Killigrew in the internet, wondered what makes him so special that 2 famous artists wanted to paint his image. After I read his biography, I was amused by his profile. He was –- according to Wikipedia -- an English dramatist and theatre manager. He was a witty, dissolute figure at the court of King Charles II of England. Wow. I imagine maybe if he lived right now, he could be the living figure of Willy Wonka. Witty and dissolute but a genius theatre manager working in the King’s court, and of course.. filthy rich. Hmmm

Thanks
    Hi and welcome! Your values and tones are very good, I think it's a very good start. Some critique, if you don't mind - try to understand the form, not just copy what you see. Break everything complicated into simple forms like spheres, cubes ect. Try to watch this videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-L...3rLZWqScFTRhtv was really helpful for me. Also here you can find tons of useful information http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Looking forward to see your progress. Good luck!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Aya-kun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aya-kun View Post
    Hi and welcome! Your values and tones are very good, I think it's a very good start. Some critique, if you don't mind - try to understand the form, not just copy what you see. Break everything complicated into simple forms like spheres, cubes ect. Try to watch this videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-L...3rLZWqScFTRhtv was really helpful for me. Also here you can find tons of useful information http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Looking forward to see your progress. Good luck!
    Thanks Aya-kun! I see.. Yeah, you're right. Instead of copying the forms, I should really understand the form by 'breaking it down'. Also, thanks for the links! They have useful tutorial videos

Thanks
    I really like how both of this turns out. I like the 5th (Les Perissoires) because of its calm atmosphere yet daring composition. Look at how the painter crop and put his main subjects on the left side of the painting, yet the balance is still there. I also like the 6th (Artemisia) because the painting has mysterious feel, especially with the appearance of a man in the dark corner behind the lady.
    I guess I start to understand the point of this practice and hopefully I'm making progress

Thanks
    Oh! I just noticed man in the dark in "Artemisia", gosh, that's creepy))))

Coolest thing that you feel the how you improving, right? I love this feeling. Don't stop)

Thanks
    Thanks Aya-Kun! Yeep! I'm not going to stop
    Alright. Back to gestures! Haven't done this in a week due to focusing on composition 1.1

Thanks
    Goodd job on the gestures. The shading on the ninja is especially nice!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast