Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy our art is getting stolen like crazy i don't know what to do!

My fiance and I are both artists and we have a lot of art floating around the internet. One image in particular gets stolen ALOT and it's pissing me off!!! It seems like every few months I have to write a new ISP or report something to some info-silo about this work getting stolen. It's a very important image and NO one has made a replica of it.

I want to write a letter requesting payment for the one time usage, threaten legal action, and then go forward with legal action.

How do I start? I wrote this letter, does it sound okay?

Dear Sir or Madam,

You are using a piece of art that belongs to our company and we would appreciate payment for its use. The artist who created this work was the first person to ever link the tetractys to the Abrahadabra grid, illustrated by this image which you have posted on your website to promote your own work that has nothing to do with the work we are trying to further. This constitutes theft, and unless prompt payment is received for services rendered we will pursue further legal action.

$200 is the fee and a link back to Abrahadabra.com somewhere near the image or as a hyperlink on the image itself is the terms of our agreement for one time usage in web media.

oh my god I am so pissed off I thought I buried this problem ages ago! First the fucking freemasons claimed it as THEIR image, now the GODAMNED CATHOLICS WITH THEIR GOOEY GOD BLABBER WTF. Here is the particular article and school that is ripping off the image in the upper left corner:

http://thewayofbeauty.org/2014/02/cr...hrough-beauty/

Note: The stolen image has since been replaced with a more generic image (also stolen because it's made by our company also but it's much less offensive to ripping off an image they don't understand)

Last edited by Izi; April 16th, 2014 at 12:41 PM.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I would make the message a little more demanding or aggressive -IMO.
    People will ignore you or worst, if you don't have a backbone.

If you're interested, I've made some changes to your letter to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Izi View Post
    Dear Sir or Madam,

[You are] You're using a piece of art that belongs to our company, and we [would appreciate] demand payment for its use. The artist [WHO?- YOU? maybe insert a name] who created this work, was the first person to ever link the tetractys to the Abrahadabra grid. This image which you have [posted] stolen and posted on your website to promote your own work, [that] has nothing to do with the work we are trying to further. This constitutes theft[,] and unless prompt payment is received for services rendered, we will pursue further legal action.

$200 is the fee and [a link back] (credit -or a link) to Abrahadabra.com (with a link) somewhere near the image, or as a hyperlink on the image itself is the terms of our agreement for one time usage in web media.

EDIT P.S
    Don't change it word for word, because it may come across as selfish, demanding or even too threatening.
    I would address the possibility they didn't knowingly -or intentionally stole the design/art. So try to see things from their POV as well and put that in there.

Overall the letter sounds okay but it could be better- I would include more to it.
    (I'm not in the best state right now to continue this)

Last edited by MapleTerror; April 10th, 2014 at 05:38 AM. Reason: wrong god dam colors & P.S

Thanks
    thank you I revised it and sent it in. I'm ready to start shopping for lawyers now I just don't have the energy to do this anymore. hopefully the watermarks will help a lot, since most of the theft we have been seeing lately has been very old images that may have "been the rounds" for a decade or more now.

This article gives a very poor accounting of the tetractys placed there. It's all this morbid Catholic "let's stare at god's goopy asshole" stuff rather than the science, stars and logos stuff we're trying to promote. The silly new age blogs that steal our work are far less offensive than this - and he fancies himself an artist. Yes, artist enough to recognize something of value - but not intelligent enough to make a proper accounting of it! Not even holy enough not to blatantly steal!

So I was not understanding at all. I'll never forgive the fucking Catholics for what they put this world through and I certainly won't concede to them any authority on the Body of Light which they are an absolute menace to.

Last edited by Izi; April 10th, 2014 at 05:58 AM.
    ---- -
    abrahadabra

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,835 Times in 3,941 Posts
    Izi, there are lawyers in the legal section, which might be useful for you.

Thanks
    Thanks BlackSpot I am going to go look in there now!

Sorry for ranting. Now I know what it must feel like to have work stolen and sold on crappy tshirts for some corporate bottom line, as this was much less than that but highly insulting.

---- -
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Well... I've not had anything stolen but I have had my experience of litigation. Basically your rights basically rest on your ability to enforce those rights.

That's how justice works (or rather doesn't work) in our society. So you gotta think first - is it worth fighting this?

Trying to get money from them will get you nowhere - you're much more likely to succeed with a cease and desist order. Someone who is happy to steal your work is very unlikely to bother paying you.

My wife who is a photographer recommended that you register your images with a big picture agency like Getty (or one of it's subsidiaries who deal with illustrations) - this isn't necessarily to make money but Getty have bots which trawl the internet looking for images they own and they have a very aggressive and efficient legal department. As she works in journalism, she knows of lots of examples where people were in a hurry or couldn't be bothered to figure out who an image belongs to. They then got a random letter from Getty with a fat bill for all kinds of images which were downloaded off the internet. The only explanation is that Getty use a bot which basically does a pixel match algorithm to figure out what images are being used.

Whoever has stolen your work my ignore your email/letter but they wouldn't ignore a letter from Getty! So basically pass on the headache to someone else

SKETCHBOOK / PORTFOLIO / ARTLORDS / ART STATION / DEVIANT ART / FACEBOOK

Oh and if you want to watch me paint live I recently got introduced to this thing called picarto TV... It's nice to do art and share it - if you have any questions it's great to talk too! I'm painting pretty much 12 hours a day so you'll most likely find me - unless I'm eating

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Izi View Post
    It's all this morbid Catholic "let's stare at god's goopy asshole" stuff rather than the science, stars and logos stuff we're trying to promote.
    Doesn't have anything to do with the art theft, but all I can see on that page is esoterical blabber. It's a bit rich to pass that off as "science"...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Ten dots arranged in a triangle? You haven't a hope of claiming ownership.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Sorry to hijack the thread, Izi, but the exact same thing happened to me.
    http://salemsmoon.wordpress.com/2013/10/04/the-triple-goddess/ (it's the green triple goddess piece)
    They don't give credit, even cropped the image to remove my signature and url, and they are not some personal blog- they are running an online shop. Any advice what to do? I'm based overseas, so legal action would be very difficult, and I don't want to register this piece with Getty.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to benu For This Useful Post:

Izi

Thanks
    Welcome to the internet. You can't possibly keep your images in one place; as soon as it goes online, it stays online forever. If you don't want anything to be stolen, don't post it.

I do not wish to offend you in any way, just saying that whatever you do won't stop people from stealing it. I "steal" images a lot; as a wallpapers, although for personal use only. I can remove signatures, watermarks, tweak the colors, retouch something etc.

Unless the theft inflicts financial loss to you or harms you in some way, apart form hurting your feelings, just let it go.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spellsword95 View Post
    Unless the theft inflicts financial loss to you or harms you in some way, apart form hurting your feelings, just let it go.
    Yeah well, if the artwork is used commercially that does inflict financial loss on the artist. Which was kind of the point I think.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,835 Times in 3,941 Posts
    benu - I left them a little message on their site.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Izi

Thanks
    @Spellsword: Thank you so much for kindly welcoming me to the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Yeah well, if the artwork is used commercially that does inflict financial loss on the artist. Which was kind of the point I think.
    Exactly. If someone wants to use it like this I'm entitled to charge a license fee, and he knows it. That's the purpose of copyright laws- they exist to help artists not to starve, you know. The question is how to enforce these rights in situations like this, not how to get my stuff off the internet.
    If people download or share my art on their personal blog that's fine, even if they forget to give credit, I don't really care- and since I use the internet regulaly for a couple of years now, I'm also perfectly aware that this happens a lot.

@Black Spot- Thank you! What did you tell them?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to benu For This Useful Post:

Izi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3