Sketchbook: dragning's sketchbook - Page 6

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Misty Feather: I hope so! Thanks!

More 60sec gestures, except for one or two that are 30 sec due to technical difficulties.
    Name:  7-11-14-1.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  149.0 KB
    More studies related to the course. Mr. Fontaine advises using a car tire, but I decided to use a weight instead (less chance of people seeing me and thinking I'm weird XD , not that that is a bad thing), and draw it from different angles to understand how it changes as it rotates in perspective (or at least that is what I think the purpose is). I made an animation out of it for fun, although it is definitely not perfect.
    Name:  7-11-14-2.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  305.3 KB
    Name:  7-11-14-3.gif
Views: 259
Size:  148.6 KB

Last edited by dragning; July 11th, 2014 at 10:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your working is excellent and you improving. It is really good stuff and inspiring. Keep it up !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, really awesome weight studies there, dragning. You're getting a handle on 3 dimensions without the crutch of shading. *Cough Misteh Cough*.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ féfé73: Thanks! I very much appreciate your encouragement!

@ Misty Feather: Thank you Misty! I do hope to focus on light and shade some time in the future, but for now, more form/single-point perspective studies!

60 sec gestures, again.
    Name:  7-12-14-1.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  120.0 KB
    My attempt at taking the objects I drew earlier using shapes and inserting them into 3D space, using mostly one-pont perspective.
    Name:  7-12-14-2.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  180.3 KB
    House-like structures.
    Name:  7-12-14-3.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  128.0 KB
    Practicing my ABC's...in perspective, of course.
    Name:  7-12-14-4.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  173.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, in the Perspective Alphabet, everyone knows that E comes after C Lol, but seriously, dragning, this is really looking like GREAT practice! I like the dragon. He looks like he knows what's what, if you know what I mean.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's amazing ! You're only 13 and you have so much patience to tackle all this crazy stuff like perspective. Good for you. I really love all your still life arrangements. They really show the beauty of common items. I bet you are learning a lot about composition from it. I like to see you expanding your visual library like the last page where you drew stuff like frog, bear , deer, actress, etc. Do more stuff that you are interested in your life. Keep it up, you are doing great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Misty Feather: Haha! And U comes after P as well! At least I didn't forget any letters, or at least I think so. Thanks Misty Feather!

@ Kathleen Hang: Thank you! Actually, I'm 14 now. Anyway, I appreciate your advice. Regarding your comment about the still lifes, I honestly had no real concern as to the composition. I just found random objects, set them up, and drew them basically. Also, about patience, it's something I definitely need to develop more, but then again, don't we all? Keep it up as well!

QuickPoses 30sec gestures(opposed to the 60sec ones I've been doing lately).
    Name:  7-13-14-1.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  125.6 KB
    More form practice for the course. I took a cd and drew it from different angles and made another moving-picture thingy out of it. Technically, I only plotted one side of the cd, but it appears to spin all the way around. The tilt seems to be all weird though.
    Name:  7-13-14-2.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  134.0 KB
    Name:  7-13-14-3.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  102.1 KB
    Name:  7-13-14-4.gif
Views: 227
Size:  73.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish I had a similar mindset when I was 13. Back then I was just drawing fanime with all the other weaboos and I was content with that.

If you keep the mindset of always looking beyond your goal rather than just to it, you should improve immensely. You have so much time left to practice, I'm really envious.

EDIT:
    On a constructive note, maybe when drawing objects from different, rotated angles in space, you should draw a cross-guide underneath them. I'm not sure if it's intentional(not sure why it would be), but your circles are very wobbly, lumpy. I think you should give more care to your structure. The tighter your structure, the better. And there's really no reason to be sloppy when drawing forms, at least in my personal opinion. If you can make something look better, do it. Every single time, raise the bar for yourself.

Last edited by Sir-Cam; July 14th, 2014 at 01:29 AM.
    You can just call me Cam.
    My Sketchbook.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir-Cam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Sir-Cam: I agree with you on my circles being lumpy and misshapen (which is not intentional as you correctly assumed). Perhaps more ellipse drawing would help? Also, what do you mean by cross guides underneath the objects? I appreciate your advice very much! Thank you Cam!

30 sec gestures.
    Name:  7-14-14-2.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  108.0 KB
    Some practice constructing cones (the "rings" are guesstimated rather than constructed in these).
    Name:  7-14-14-3.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  89.5 KB
    Attempts at creating wire frames of cones (specific emphasis on the "attempt" part). Ellipses are really proving challenging for me.
    Name:  7-14-14-1.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  145.2 KB

Last edited by dragning; July 14th, 2014 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Literally, just a cross as a guide.

_|_
    |

Like that. Draw your circle on top of that, and keep the guide consistent and your circles should stay consistent. I'm not sure if there's a better technique for drawing perfectly round circles, there surely is. I just thought of that off the top of my head as that's what I'd do.

If you're doing it digitally, then you should just make an ellipse as your guide.
    EDIT:

*Okay, well that didn't turn out in the shape of a cross, but you get what I mean, right? This way the longest point of the circle should be relatively consistent with the cross guiding you, and keeping your circle more solid. Or whatever works for you!

Last edited by Sir-Cam; July 14th, 2014 at 11:23 PM.
    My Sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome progress. I, too, drew only anime for a time in highschool... It was an interesting way to get into art, at any rate. It's refreshing to see a teen going at it the right way. You'll be a prodigy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Sir-Cam: I think I may know what you mean. Are you referring to drawing the axises of the ellipse first, before drawing the ellipse on top?

@ Misty Feather: Thanks Misty! I don't know if I'll ever be a prodigy, but I'll try!

Mosty 30 sec gestures from Quickposes.
    Name:  7-15-14-1.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  118.2 KB
    I spent a considerable amount of time today looking at tutorials for constructing ellipses, and I must say I am a bit confused. I finally settled for using this tutorial, which only covers ellipse drawing in one-point perspective, so I'll probably have to find another resource for doing them in two-point perspective.
    Name:  7-15-14-2.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  115.7 KB
    Komodo dragons.
    Name:  7-15-14-3.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  637.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man you're drawing like insane! This sketchbook is great, bursting with energy and motivation. I thought I draw a lot but this is just great here! You're really getting the hang of perspective with all the practice you do and drawing animals from different point of views seems to be a ton of fun, it looks really good! And you're doing gesture drawings/ quick poses as well, dude this is how you learn! Keep it up, you're doing everything right I'd say

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The guide you have seems perfectly fine for drawing circles, and they do look much better. I would say the bottom-two look a bit off, since the one on top seems wider than the one on bottom.

Still a bit wonky, but looking a lot better. Keep practicing! This is all about drawing ability, in this case, and it gets better the more you do it, obviously. Just make sure you don't think of it as a bunch of useless lines that will make the ending result you want. You have to give each stroke purpose, so when a stroke doesn't work out, you notice.

Practice drawing ellipses in a single stroke. Draw from your shoulder or your elbow, try to keep your wrist locked. Good luck!

My Sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Cruptic: Thank you so much! I still wish I was drawing more (especially recently), but I appreciate your encouragement nonetheless. Keep drawing as well Cruptic!

@ Sir Cam: The distortion could be partially because I have a tendency to skew lines that should otherwise be completely horizontal or vertical, thereby hindering the accuracy of the construction. Hopefully that will improve with time! I agree with you that I should work on my lines also, since I tend to indulge in "chicken-scratch" often. Thanks!

Today, I decided to drop Neil Fontaine's How to Draw Comics course after finding I disliked his teaching style and reading this thread. It only cost $15 so it's all good.

After that, I struggled to draw the rest of the day. Working through the course had been my plan, so now I feel a bit lost in where to go from there, especially since I am more of the type of person who likes a structured approach rather than a wandering, improvisational one. I felt almost like I was starting from square one. I did manage to get a bit done though, so that's good. Hopefully, I'll develop a plan over the next couple days.

Some 30sec gestures from Pixelovely.
    Name:  7-16-14-2.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  309.2 KB
    Name:  7-16-14-3.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  66.3 KB
    I worked through a tutorial on how to construct objects that touch the picture plane. Today was actually the first time I believe I ever drew the cone of vision in a perspective drawing. Yay! (not really )
    Name:  7-16-14-1.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  122.1 KB

Last edited by dragning; July 16th, 2014 at 10:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work dragning! I'm just coming in to inspect everything and make sure the machine is running in tip top shape. More mountain dew required, maybe. FUEL UP, DRAW MORE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Misty Feather: Haha! Thanks Misty, I mean, COMMANDS RECEIVED...INITIATING SUPER DUPER DRAWING PROGRAM.

After spending hours just browsing these forums between yesterday and today, trying to find anything that could guide me in where to go next, I figured the best solution is to JUST DRAW. No frills, just draw, and draw a lot, although trying to find enjoyment while doing it and making sure to work on problem areas. So that is what I will try to do.

To help motivate myself, I made a Mastery Calendar, after being inspired by this post at the In Pursuit of Art blog by Volen Cherkezov. If you haven't checked him out, he has some great stuff up on inspiration, motivation, and perseverance. Well anyway, let's get to the art!

30 sec gestures from QuickPoses, except for the first one.
    Name:  7-17-14-1.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  299.1 KB
    Practicing form.
    Name:  7-17-14-2.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  251.0 KB
    Name:  7-17-14-3.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  116.5 KB
    I finally decided to do some quick imagination stuff purely for fun, not really based on a lesson or anything. I picked the random topic of "Airships", although I'm not sure I even really stuck to that. During the process of sketching the right one, something special happened. It may not look like much (in fact, it probably looks horrible as a piece of art; just look at the trees in the bottom-right, and yes, those are trees! :hopeless: ), but I experienced this feeling of satisfaction (I'm not sure if that's the right word). I was building my own world, telling my own story, even if nobody else will be able to make it out. Before now, I don't know if I really did anything like this, instead I've been doing mostly studies and such. But now, now, there is SO MUCH MORE!
    Name:  7-17-14-4.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  266.4 KB
    I apologize for the corniness of the previous paragraph. Now to go to bed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the animated drawings, pretty cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Paladis: Thanks!

Some 30sec gestures, form drawing, objects from life, and hands, both from life and from imagination.
    Name:  7-18-14-1.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  293.9 KB
    Name:  7-18-14-2.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  147.6 KB
    Name:  7-18-14-3.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  278.1 KB
    Name:  7-18-14-4.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  137.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I really like your approach, dragning, because that's basically what I'm doing. And if you want a good course, the workshop here is pretty awesome. I don't know if you have a tablet to draw digitally, though. You can do it traditionally, I'm convinced, but again.. You would need the mediums for it, like... Acrylic paint? Or maybe oils. Either would work, really, but I'm more experienced with acrylics...

ANYWAY. You can find a lot better tutorials for free. Dayle put up a lot of awesome links you could check out on his Sketchbook, ( http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...33#post3831933 ), and I'd recommend Loomis, because you can find his books on PDFs for free, legally, and he really is awesome.

But ultimately, what you're doing is what you should be doing. Drawing your hands, drawing things in your environment in perspective, getting out of your comfort zone and into the horrible land of scary self-esteem zone, and especially-- Having fun with it so that you don't burn out!

Don't be afraid to work with values, though, my friend. Values help to show dimension and form, and maybe you don't think you're ready to push values, but I think you are! You're awesome!

So, keep it up. I'm really amazed at your level of hard work and dedication. You're going to be painting masterpieces in 10 minutes when you're 18.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, I really like the building you did with the nice perspective on #167
    o(∩_∩)o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Misty Feather: Thanks for your suggestions Misty! I actually do have a Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet, and I've dabbled with digital some in the past, creating some value studies and what not, but that was months ago. As for traditional paints, I have very little experience with them, other than the stuff they taught us in art class at school. They might be interesting to learn someday though!

I've heard lots of praise for Andrew Loomis, so perhaps I will indeed have to investigate further into his books.

As for values, thanks for the encouragement. I'll try to post something with shading soon then!

Thanks again Misty. YOU are awesome!

@ LunaLi: Thanks Luna! That drawing was rather fun to do!

After only two days of logging my hours, I found that I was over thinking what to count as practice and what not to too much, getting more worried about the little details than the big picture/purpose. So I decided to drop that as well to avoid such things, and to focus more on just getting down to work!

30 sec gestures.
    Name:  7-19-14-1.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  266.0 KB
    More form practicing.
    Name:  7-19-14-2.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  187.6 KB
    I started How to Draw: Sketching Objects and Environments from Your Imagination by Scott Robertson with Thomas Bertling today. I watched some of the videos and began practicing my free hand lines with ballpoint pen. (I'm using a 7in x 10in sketchbook for these.)
    Name:  7-19-14-4.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  899.7 KB
    Random imaginative creature stuff- no ref.
    Name:  7-19-14-3.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  120.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, I really like your work. I noticed that you keep doing only 30 sec gestures. I kept doing the same thing until I realized that I was improving and learning more if I did slower studies of the figure, instead of doing hundreds of 30 sec gestures. In fact, even doing 1 min - 5 min gesture/pose drawings will help tremendously in my opinion.

I think that it's because once you learn how certain parts of the human body move and look (proportions, anatomy, foreshortening, etc), you subconsciously add that into your gesture drawings, making them look better and you can push your drawings more.

Sometime's you just gotta take it slow y'know, and absorb everything you can.

But I'm just another man learning what I can (plus I'm not very good), so my 'advice' might not be the best! :X

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ hellothisiskan: Thanks! I very much appreciate your advice. I was actually doing some 60 sec gestures for a couple days there, but I felt like I needed to get down to the essence of the pose and shortened them to 30 sec. I still don't know if I'm doing them right, but I'll try some longer ones I think, and see what happens.

Same type of stuff as yesterday, only the imagination sketches at the end were supposed to be mechanical-ish.
    Name:  7-20-14-1.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  281.3 KB
    Name:  7-20-14-2.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  144.8 KB
    Name:  7-20-14-4.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  479.0 KB
    Name:  7-20-14-5.jpg
Size:  129.0 KB
    Name:  7-20-14-3.jpg
Size:  161.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies and gestures, dragning! Glad I provide encouragement, hehe. If I were to make a suggestion, it would be that you should add lines of action to your gestures-- Suggesting form and movement.

A good example:

dragning's sketchbook

Just a thought of how you can amp it up! Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kids these days with their artistic skills and determination...
    Good work!

It all began with a crocodile sketch...

SKETCHBOOK - crit and comment always welcome

COMMISSIONS OPEN

DONATE - help me pay my tuition fees and graduate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Misty Feather: Are those gestures yours? I really like the one on the left. But yeah, I definitely agree with you. My gestures, and my figures in general, need A LOT of work. I'm gonna have to, no, I will, start studying people and such soon.

@ helila: Thanks!

I still constantly find myself worrying whether the path I'm taking is the most effective one, or whether I am improving much, and the past few days I end up searching the internet, googling the topic, rather than drawing as I could and should be, and then being angry that I wasted time. Note to self: DRAW MORE, WORRY LESS. NO EXCUSES!

60 sec gestures from QuickPoses.
    Name:  7-21-14-1.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  178.8 KB
    Form practicing.
    Name:  7-21-14-2.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  161.9 KB
    More "muscle memory" building for How to Draw, focusing on drawing straight lines. I'm still struggling with these, but I must have patience.
    Name:  7-21-14-4.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  778.6 KB
    Sketchy dragon-y no-ref stuff, and some thumbnails for a potential painting based on a previous sketch. Ugh! They just remind me how much I need to study, but I suppose that is good in a way.
    Name:  7-21-14-3.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  309.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies! Annnd, no, they're not my gestures. Just a random pro I found on google images... I'm not that good at gestures yet, myself, but I know what I see with my eyes! It's very frustrating to be making gestures and seeing how wrong they are, lol.

Your work's looking more and more clean and well executed. Keep it up! You're getting grander and grander!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Misty Feather For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Misty Feather: Ah, thanks Misty! I feel you about the frustration though! May we draw through it together! (Scott Robertson pun totally intended )

I drew up the line art for the personal project I briefly mentioned yesterday, and it seems now that it is going to end up a graphite drawing instead of a painting. Off to shave (oops, I mean shade) this puppy tomorrow!
    Name:  7-22-14-1.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  99.1 KB
    Name:  7-22-14-2.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  154.4 KB
    Name:  7-22-14-4.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  517.1 KB
    Name:  7-22-14-5.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  212.3 KB
    Name:  7-22-14-3.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  390.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, as usual, dragning! Can't wait to see the shading!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 287