Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: dragning's sketchbook

Thanks
    So today I decided to try something a bit different with my linear still life. For the majority of my previous ones, I have done a quick gestural underdrawing in colored pencil that I then basically ignore as I perform a contour drawing--following the outline of the objects and hoping my drawing won't become too far off. I wanted to try expirementing with the linear block-in technique, which I've pretty much neglected so far, so I used it to essentially draw the majority of the scene in normal graphite, then made it faint with my kneaded eraser and used it as a guideline for my actual, finished (we'll call it that) drawing. The result is an extremely misproportioned depiction of life. Woo hoo! But really, I hope to work with this technique a bit more and see if I can't find a decent way to involve it in my work flow for these linear still lifes. Sorry for the rambling!

Here is the piece with some (or maybe alot) of notes:
    Name:  5-23-14-1.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  290.6 KB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Great work ethic. You're going to be improving very quickly at this rate, especially since you are willing to look at your work with a critical eye. I would suggest varying your subject matter a bit; try some figures and landscapes from reference. That way, you can apply what you are learning in order to solve different sets of problems. It will really help solidify those concepts and skills.

I'll definitely keep an eye on your progress, I'm looking forward to seeing more. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    This sketchbook is amazing considering you are only 13! I'm talking about your self criticism and keeping notes about your drawings. Also the way you are working professionally on improving. Reminds me when I was already working as a programmer when I was also 13 (of course since programming requires only analytical/logical skills it is faster to grasp, while drawing requires analytical/logical/manual/and more?).

To be really honest, I'm 27 and I'm jealous about how you can already provide self criticism on your art, and when you draw next you improved your previous piexe.. I still don't have the knowledge/eyes/technic for that on my drawings.

Keep going like this and you surely will be a professional when you reach 18-19!

Thanks
    @ The Colorado Kid: Thanks! I do admit that it is rather mundane to mainly do these linear still lifes, and I definitely plan to branch out in the not too distant future. However, I set myself the goal of drawing 100 of these some time ago (haha, nice going ), and I am stubbornly determined to accomplish it at the moment. I totally agree with your suggestion though!

@ Maquiavelli: Thank you so much for your encouragement! I've dabbled with programming in the past too, but I never really got off the ground with it, but apparently you did, so you've one-upped me in that respect. Anyway, don't beat yourself up! The very fact that you joined this site and started a sketchbook is a step in the right direction! Keep drawing! I would love to see your progress as well!

So here's my work for today, for which I utilized the same technique described in my last post involving the linear block-in:
    Name:  5-24-14-1.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  511.2 KB
    Name:  5-24-14-2.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  286.1 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dragning For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sweet dude! Let's be friends as well as rivals xD We're only 5 years apart and I'm learning too
    I'm a scribble ninja! Hah!
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Thanks
    @ Kaioken20XGokuA: Haha! Bring it on!

Today I finished another still life with the aforementioned technique as well as some form doodling, this time involving the draw-through technique. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a very good scan of the latter.
    Name:  5-25-14-2.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  301.6 KB
    Name:  5-25-14-1.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  156.4 KB
    P.S. I kind of forgot to mention that I turned 14 a couple of weeks ago, so yeah.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragning View Post
    @ Kaioken20XGokuA: Haha! Bring it on!

Today I finished another still life with the aforementioned technique as well as some form doodling, this time involving the draw-through technique. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a very good scan of the latter.
    Name:  5-25-14-2.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  301.6 KB
    Name:  5-25-14-1.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  156.4 KB
    P.S. I kind of forgot to mention that I turned 14 a couple of weeks ago, so yeah.
    You are drawing forms like crazy x)
    You're already developing a huge library of shapes by altering forms and stuff I guess.
    I did some still lifes too but the linear block in technique is giving me some issues. Usually plain contour drawings give me the ease along with vertical measuring but I guess you're pulling it off pretty well
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Thanks
    dragning, good to see you're trying new techniques! About block-in: it was only after starting my journey here at CA that I realized how helpful it is (for me at least). I notice that I'm getting to the "finished" sketch faster than when I used to jump direct into the final lines. Also I'm able to draw a better, confident line.
    Keep going and never stops!!
    "Become who you are" - Nietzsche

Thanks
    You're improving so fast! Are those blue lines on the paper for reference, or is that just the paper you're drawing on? Either way, you've inspired me to do a daily still life also! Hopefully we will both improve.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Waze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Kaioken20XGoku: Thanks! Recently, I actually haven't been doing the form doodling as much as before, although I probably should. The goal is to improve my ability to manipulate forms so that hopefully I'll be able to better break down and imagine objects/environments/people in terms of basic, manageable geometric building blocks. Regarding the linear block-in, I would't say I'm a master or anything at it. In fact, for me, the block-in seems to take WAY longer than doing plain contour drawing.

@ elvistking: That's awesome to hear that you find the linear block-in useful! Pertaining to line cofidence, I've also heard that sketching in pen helps, forcing you to really commit to your lines. You may want to try it if you haven't already and are looking to improve your lines. I probably need to implement it more too!

@ Waze: Wow! Thank you! In response to your question, the blue lines are to help me keep my verticals vertical, rather than skewed. I hope we both improve too! I bid you well on your artistic journey Waze! Keep drawing!

More linear still lifes using the linear block-in method I mentioned before:
    Name:  5-26-14-1.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  827.8 KB

Thanks
    To save time, I used the contour drawing technique on this one. Unfortunately, the paper was moist/oily in one part, darkening that particular area, so the scan wasn't great.
    Name:  5-27-14-1.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  344.2 KB

Thanks
    Are you on a 100 still life marathon lol?

- - - Updated - - -

And try some memory drawing/drawing from imagination. Don't observe, draw and forget. Point of still life is to build a visual library and practice your line techniques, perspective, form etc
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaioken20XGoku For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Kaioken20XGoku: Sort of. I set myself the goal to do 100 linear still lifes a while back, so I guess you could call it a marathon. As for your comment about doing some imagination drawing--I definitely should. I've been avoiding it (other than in the form drawing, which is hardly imagination drawing) because most of the memory drawing I've done in the past is pretty bad (doodles in math notebooks and such), and I've recently been focusing on completing this 100 still life challenge to work on my observational drawing skills. Thanks for the suggestion though! I've have to work on getting some in!

Another still life done using the contour drawing technique:
    Name:  5-28-14-1.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  338.6 KB

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast