Sketchbook: dragning's sketchbook - Page 5

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YEAAH, EXCLAIM-ATIONNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's all good. It's your Sketchbook, afterall. Your rulez.

And the latest piece is the most interesting piece yet. I shall call it: For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to pop in and say hi! Your work is really good for how young you are, and I'm glad you're so dedicated to practice.

My one word of advice is to use more construction lines and looseness in your studies. Your finished lines are nice and crisp, but my opinion is that studies should be used to study form rather than contour. It's easiest to do that by breaking shapes up into 3D blocks/spheres, as opposed to outlines.

My two cents of course - in the end, do what helps you the most

4. The Following User Says Thank You to imdrunkontea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Misty Feather: Thanks Misty! I thank you for the time you spend to write these posts! Your encouraging words have been constantly pushing me to persevere and hopefully improve. Thanks again!

@ imdrunkontea: I appreciate your advice. Personally, I agree with you, and think that for the most part, I should utilize my studies to understand form rather than the flat 2D shapes or contours. Depending on the method I was using, I sometimes roughed in the forms at some point, but not always (and certainly not using the "draw through" technique).

More form doodling.
    Name:  6-25-14-1.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  172.0 KB
    After watching the Ctrl+Paint series on Constructive form, I tried drawing Ahsoka from Star Wars: The Clone Wars by first building her out of basic 3D forms. All except the one in the bottom-right were drawn from stills, while that one was my attempt to reproduce her in a different pose without looking at the other referenced drawings.
    Name:  6-25-14-2.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  575.5 KB
    A random self portrait that took me 2 hours and doesn't really look like me...or anyone else for that matter(after all, the eyes are not even on the same level). I had no real, discernible method for shading, and it shows. Back to the drawing board, I suppose.
    Name:  6-25-14-3.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  366.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, dragning! It's so nice to see something different from you! Loving the newest studies! Ahsoka looks great, but my favourite is your self-portrait.

Even if it doesn't look like you, I can see that you're getting a real grasp on shading and form. My best advice to you is to try using the side of your pencil to shade next time, with careful, calculated strokes.

Maybe even sharpen it! It looks like it was done with a dull pencil (Maybe that happened after awhile, with all the furious scratching? )

Try just to focus on shading the main bits of the face-- Around the bottom of the nose, the chin, the eyes. Then stop and look at your progress. Sometimes, simplicity helps us to see things we never saw before! A lot of it is about... Understanding when not to shade, too. Or when to leave out detail for the sake of the picture.

Keep it up! You're gonna be amazing at this rate!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Misty Feather For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Misty Feather: Thank you so much Misty for those pointers on the self-portrait! Next time, I will definitely have to try using the side of my pencil more (I have no idea why that didn't occur to me before). Also, your statement about knowing when not to shade is so true! I need to work on breaking down the picture into the basic values, indicative of the major forms, first, before anything else. Again, thanks Misty! I wish you well!

Realizing I needed some pencil shading practice, I completed these worksheets I discovered on the Internet (I do not claim ownership to them in any way).
    Name:  6-26-14-2.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  373.9 KB
    Form doodles.
    Name:  6-26-14-1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  90.8 KB
    This was supposed to be Linguini from Ratatouille, but he ended up looking looking a bit like a serial killer in some of the sketches, especially the first one in the top-left.
    Name:  6-26-14-3.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  595.7 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dragning For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, talk about applying critique.

The shading studies are looking really good! Do a few more, apply them to a self-portrait or reference, and see how you do! I think you'll see a massive improvement, already! It's always inspiring to have quick improvements, even if they're incremental.

I recognize the chef from Ratatouille! You're getting a lot more confident with your lines, and capturing the shapes quite well.

Looking at your stuff from page one and now, there's already a big difference! So, keep at it, my friend. Rock on!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Misty Feather For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Misty Feather: Thanks! It's great to hear that I'm improving from an outside source, since sometimes it can be hard to judge progress on your own. Rock on as well Misty!

Some hands, drawn with a ballpoint pen in a moving vehicle. An interesting practice if I might say the least!
    Name:  6-27-14-1.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  89.6 KB

The next sketches were drawn in my sketchbook, which I have mostly avoided using because it is too big and bulky to fit my scanner. I thought I might try using a webcam to take photos of the pages, but the quality was horrible, so I resorted to tearing out the pages with my drawings and scanning them. I apologize for the poor scans that resulted.

60sec gestures I did after watching Proko's free video on How to Draw Gesture.
    Name:  6-27-14-2.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  183.8 KB
    Form doodles and a bit of playing around with "sculpting" forms by cutting away at a box.
    Name:  6-27-14-3.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  151.5 KB
    Finally, a portrait of Scarlet Johansson as Black Widow. (Sorry Misty, I didn't mean to neglect your suggestion of doing a couple more shading studies before another portrait like this, but I didn't see your post till now.)
    Name:  6-27-14-4.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  453.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, don't apologize, dragning! As long as you're drawing and putting in effort-- This is helping you! You don't need prep to draw portraits. Draw as many as you like, and you'll see improvement in that too!

Anyway, this one looks very much improved from the last, but there is still some muddiness. I can see you drew with the side of your pencil, so it's much softer, and the highlights more pronounced.

Do you have a kneadable eraser? That really helps with adding gentle softness to a drawing, small highlights, and even blending. (Although I like to use a blending stick, or even just a cue tip, for that)

Keep at it! You're producing so much, with so much painstaking effort, that you can only improve-- As you have been!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Misty Feather For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It wouldn't hurt to take some time thinking how the shading in your reference is emphasizing the general form of the face. Your rendering seems to be sketchy and random in some areas.
    And if you want to avoid those nasty smudges you can lay a sheet of paper under the heel of your hand.

Keep it up!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Misty Feather: Thank you for the advice! I actually have been using a kneaded eraser, but probably still have a long way to go before I truly grasp its potential as a drawing tool. Keep at it as well!

@ Tiggeraz: I agree that I should strive to understand rather than just copy my reference, and focus on how the shading brings out the form. That is something I really need to work on. Studying the head and face as well as light and shadow probably wouldn't hurt either! About the trick of laying paper beneath the heel of my hand--I currently do just that, but might have gotten carried away during the course of the drawing and smudged some of the graphite accidentally. The poor scan may also play an effect in the "smudgy" appearance. Thanks for your tips!

I was back to using regular computer paper today, since it fits in my scanner. To start off, I tried shading a ball based on the How to Shade a Ball in Six Steps tutorial at Toad Hollow Studio's website.
    Name:  6-28-14-1.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  272.5 KB
    Basic form doodles.
    Name:  6-28-14-2.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  87.6 KB
    Some drawings of deer to practice constructive form.
    Name:  6-28-14-3.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  614.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Building animals out of geometric objects is always a good idea to get a sense of form and perspective.
    Here is a video that gives an overview of the construction and characteristics of simple forms:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uEtdDvK6Xo

If you keep up this pace you're gonna be a fine artist before you hit the legal drinking age.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Tiggeraz: Thanks for the suggestion! I've actually seen the video already, but it is a great introduction to basic geometric forms nonetheless!

Some basic form manipulations, many of which were done in a car.
    Name:  6-29-14-1.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  144.0 KB
    Tree frogs. Yay!!
    Name:  6-29-14-2.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  679.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Awesome form practicing! Great that you're referencing real life things now
    keep it up dragning! And follow your heart~ lol

"What are these barriers that keep people from reaching anywhere near their potential? Fear or laziness?" -Waking life
    Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Uyeno: Thanks! While stylization is great, I wanted to try studying from realism more, which can in turn serve as the basis for stylistic interpretation, or so I've heard. You keep it up as well! And follow your heart too!

I returned from a short vacation today during which I was unable to post any drawings yesterday, so the following stuff is a mixture of yesterday's and today's work.

Form doodles.
    Name:  6-30-14+7-1-14-2.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  270.4 KB
    Some practice constructing a box in two-point mechanical perspective. I'm not totally sure I did it right, since it has been a long time from when I read the the section in Norling's Perspective Made Easy that covers it. (Maybe, if I'm not too lazy, I'll go look it up sometime. )
    Name:  6-30-14+7-1-14-5.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  37.3 KB
    A bit of people sketching done in public, including mostly gesture-like thingies, many of which are indecipherable. I must say that this was partly inspired by Will Terrell, whose people sketching videos are both very helpful and beautiful to look at, although of course my own drawings have a LONG way to go before reaching a level even remotely close to his.
    Name:  6-30-14+7-1-14-3.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  543.8 KB
    A random sketch.
    Name:  6-30-14+7-1-14-4.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  52.6 KB
    Finally, I re-watched Proko's video on Structure Basics-Making Things Look 3D, which Tiggeraz recommended, and took notes on it.
    Name:  6-30-14+7-1-14-1.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  164.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I watched Alphonso Dunn's video on How to Draw Complex Forms Part 2 | Merging simple forms today, and followed along. The stuff above the divider on the sheet is from the video while the stuff below is me attempting to practice the material.
    Name:  7-2-14-1.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  130.5 KB
    A portrait of a guy from Potrait Drawing References.
    Name:  7-2-14-2.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  517.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, look at that portrait! Just goes to show you how much you can improve when you study the right things, and put in a lot of effort. I'm seriously impressed with all the studies, dragning. And FROGS.

Never stop drawing! You're gonna blow me outta the water soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your last portrait there looks very good. One thing that helps with shading if you are gonna leave some noticeable pencil strokes visible is to have them going in the same direction as the plane you are working on. It help give it "contour lines" without putting in contour lines... This last portrait looks like you applied that in most areas and it looks much better for it.

I am a fan of high contrasting areas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Misty Feather: Thanks! I definitely don't plan to stop drawing anytime soon. As for your last statement, in my opinion, it's not necessarily about competition or being "better" than somebody else, but rather about helping one another, having fun, and creating art. Your comments, not only on my sketchbook but across the site, have been great in fostering that sort of atmosphere. So in that way, YOU are blowing me out of the water Misty Feather!

@ BillW: Thank you for the tip! I think I understand what you are saying about having shading in the direction of the surface underneath. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I shade a portrait (which could be whenever).

Some practice merging basic forms.
    Name:  7-3-14-1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  103.7 KB
    Pandas.
    Name:  7-3-14-2.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  725.3 KB
    60 sec gestures from the Pixelovely website.
    Name:  7-3-14-3.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  153.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More form merging practice.
    Name:  7-4-14-1.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  99.8 KB
    1 min gestures done in ballpoint pen from Sketchdaily's online tool.
    Name:  7-4-14-2.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  241.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes Yes Yes, Shading! You're doing great! Again I have nothing to say, because you're really doing everything right, You observing and making studies and working from imagination, that's awesome, dude! I'm just so glad that you doing it! Keep it up =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Aya-kun: Thanks! I'll do my best to persist!

Essentially more of the same.
    Name:  7-5-14-1.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  104.8 KB
    Name:  7-5-14-2.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  223.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks dragning. I do try to create a good atmosphere... I think there's nothing better than having lots of support, and people cheering you on to new heights.

Your figure exploration is great! It's so nice to see you coming out of your comfort zone and challenging yourself with new goals. I bet you've surprised yourself at how well you're doing. I'm glad you won't stop!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Misty Feather For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Misty Feather: Thanks! The gestures are still a bit baffling to me, but hopefully someday I will understand them!

And yet more...
    Name:  7-6-14-1.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  114.2 KB
    Name:  7-6-14-2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  186.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More 60 sec gestures.
    Name:  7-7-14-5.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  191.7 KB
    A couple days ago (last Thursday I believe), I purchased Neil Fontaine's How to Draw Comics course off of Udemy in the hopes of building a basic foundation in the fundamentals that I can build off of as well as to improve my imagination drawing. (A while back I said I thought I might work through Scott Robertson's How to Draw book over the summer, but I have changed my mind for now). Anyway, the following stuff is some notes and homework that I started on Thursaday from Form, Lighting, and Perspective Part 1 in the course, which I am still working on.

To start off, my first assignment was to practice constructing a couple objects using simple shapes (NOT FORMS), first from reference and then from memory. Personally, I used the shapes as a base and then drew the more finished lines on top. The page with a dozen cat faces was my first attempt at reproducing one of the objects from memory. I was trying to get it perfect, but eventually decided to focus on being able to get an approximate drawing without having to look at the reference.
    Name:  7-7-14-1.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  477.1 KB
    On the following page, I wrapped up the shapes portion of the video and moved on to taking notes on the form and single-point perspective portion of it.
    Name:  7-7-14-2.jpg
Size:  110.7 KB
    Name:  7-7-14-3.jpg
Size:  110.2 KB
    These were part of the homework, which is basically to "master"(although I may settle for a working knowledge instead on the subject) manipulating rounded forms with line and drawing box-ish forms in one-pt perspective without having to look at reference.
    Name:  7-7-14-4.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  358.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is looking good! Its great to see lots of studies. Keep pushing yourself!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks amazing! You can tell you spent a lot of time on everything, and it's paying off, my friend. Don't stop the rockin'!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Quinn Simoes: Thank you! I am honored!

@ Misty Feather: Thanks! Some of it took much longer than I would have liked, but hey, I guess I need to develop my patience more.

60sec gestures from QuickPoses.
    Name:  7-8-14-1.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  175.6 KB
    More homework for the first lesson of the course I'm working on.
    Name:  7-8-14-2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  139.3 KB
    Name:  7-8-14-3.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  93.9 KB
    Name:  7-8-14-4.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  19.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more 60 sec gestures done with the 0.5mm HB mechanical pencil I bought yesterday. Not the best visibility unfortunately.
    Name:  7-9-14-1.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  138.4 KB
    More practice related to the Form, Lighting, and Perspective course, in which I basically constructed wireframes for various hard-edged forms in one point perspective, or at least tried to do so. The pyramid was quite a brain twister!
    Name:  7-9-14-2.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  218.3 KB
    Name:  7-9-14-3.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  114.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    60sec gestures from Pixelovely.
    Name:  7-10-14-1.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  142.9 KB
    More "wireframe" practice to hopefully improve my knowledge of form and single-point perspective, this time with cylinders and spheres. The shear amount of calculation I performed in order to construct the "wireframe" of the sphere presented a challenge in making sense of what was what, so I switched mediums several times from graphite pencil (bottom right), to colored pencil with graphite pencil on top (bottom left), and finally to digital, in hopes of making the process more manageable. Even then, I'm still not sure I constructed it right!
    Name:  7-10-14-3.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  113.4 KB
    Name:  7-10-14-2.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  358.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, those studies are probably really going to help you with your work. There's a lot of technical growth and sight understanding happening here. Keep up the greatness, dragning! You'll be a legend.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 275