Sketchbook: dragning's sketchbook - Page 3

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're improving so fast! Are those blue lines on the paper for reference, or is that just the paper you're drawing on? Either way, you've inspired me to do a daily still life also! Hopefully we will both improve.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Waze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Kaioken20XGoku: Thanks! Recently, I actually haven't been doing the form doodling as much as before, although I probably should. The goal is to improve my ability to manipulate forms so that hopefully I'll be able to better break down and imagine objects/environments/people in terms of basic, manageable geometric building blocks. Regarding the linear block-in, I would't say I'm a master or anything at it. In fact, for me, the block-in seems to take WAY longer than doing plain contour drawing.

@ elvistking: That's awesome to hear that you find the linear block-in useful! Pertaining to line cofidence, I've also heard that sketching in pen helps, forcing you to really commit to your lines. You may want to try it if you haven't already and are looking to improve your lines. I probably need to implement it more too!

@ Waze: Wow! Thank you! In response to your question, the blue lines are to help me keep my verticals vertical, rather than skewed. I hope we both improve too! I bid you well on your artistic journey Waze! Keep drawing!

More linear still lifes using the linear block-in method I mentioned before:
    5-26-14-1.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To save time, I used the contour drawing technique on this one. Unfortunately, the paper was moist/oily in one part, darkening that particular area, so the scan wasn't great.
    5-27-14-1.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you on a 100 still life marathon lol?

- - - Updated - - -

And try some memory drawing/drawing from imagination. Don't observe, draw and forget. Point of still life is to build a visual library and practice your line techniques, perspective, form etc

I'm a scribble ninja! Hah!
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaioken20XGoku For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Kaioken20XGoku: Sort of. I set myself the goal to do 100 linear still lifes a while back, so I guess you could call it a marathon. As for your comment about doing some imagination drawing--I definitely should. I've been avoiding it (other than in the form drawing, which is hardly imagination drawing) because most of the memory drawing I've done in the past is pretty bad (doodles in math notebooks and such), and I've recently been focusing on completing this 100 still life challenge to work on my observational drawing skills. Thanks for the suggestion though! I've have to work on getting some in!

Another still life done using the contour drawing technique:
    5-28-14-1.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yet another one done with the contour technique. I'm halfway there!
    5-29-14-1.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've inspired me to do more still life myself. Perhaps that is what I felt was lacking recently.

Good luck with your challenge though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PT Abram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking pretty epic
    I think I'll go on a 100 still life marathon too. Doesn't seem that impossible and sounds fun
    Keep it up! I'm still gonna stalk your sketchbook no matter what xD

And are you doing these on A3 or A4 paper?

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaioken20XGoku For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ PT Abram: Thanks! From what I have heard and read, life drawing definitely seems important. However you include it, I hope you find it useful!

@ Kaioken20XGoku: Epic...eh, I don't know about that. That's awesome that I've inspired you though! Personally, this "marathon" is taking much longer than I thought, and isn't exactly thrilling anymore, but I guess that's part of it? As for your question, I'm doing these on neither A3 nor A4, but rather US Letter since I live in the USA. I wouldn't think the paper size should be too important in this case nonetheless. It's too bad we missed the 100 Day Challenge on CA featuring still lifes! That could have been great for us!

I apologize for the spotty scan...again.
    5-30-14-1.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More done with the contour method:
    5-31-14-1.jpg
    5-31-14-2.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I've been getting a little (or a lot) carried away with this whole self-criticism thing, so I decided to limit the number of notes I made on these to 5 or 6.
    6-1-14-1.jpg
    6-2-14-1.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say I was a little overwhelmed when I see you covering your page in criticisms - too much might not be good for you...Still, you've improved a whole lot since your first few, and you're more than half way there! Keep going!

Do you enjoy doing these drawings by the way?

My CA sketchbook- Please help with some critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should take a break and study some other stuff too like perspective/anatomy/composition and do some doodles/imaginative drawing. You'll get mechanical and bland lol if you do still lifes everyday like a routinely chore. You've honed your observation quite a bit so you can start moving a little forward

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi drag, joining the discussion I agree about "too much self criticism is not good for you". In addition I would say that (in my opinion) your drawing is way better than your caligraphy, think about it this way can help you get rid of this.
    Stop writing, keep drawing!

"Become who you are" - Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Waze: Yeah. I don't really know how I started off with only a couple of notes on my first still life and ended up with the paper covered in them. I definitely went overboard on those. As for my enjoyment of these drawings, I have drifted back and forth. Sometimes they are quite laborious and drawn out while other times they are enjoyable and pleasant.

@ Kaioken20XGoku: I will think about deviating from the "marathon" and working on something else. However, I'm over halfway in, and I don't want to stop now...but hey, we'll see.

@ elvistking: Haha! I totally agree with you--My calligraphy is terrible, in more ways than one! Thanks for the advice about drawing more and writing less. Self criticism is important, but I took it a bit too far, and now have to tone it down.

I saw Proko's video on Drawing Measuring Techniques today and decided to give it a try, since I've never really done any careful proportional measuring for these linear still lifes. The feel of mapping out the drawing was interesting, although it still turned out very off(mostly because I was too lazy to fix mistakes I noticed early on).
    6-2-14-1.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another rushed attempt at measuring proportions before drawing:
    6-3-14-1.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since the proportional version of visual measuring that Proko taught was giving me trouble, I decided to try implementing the sight-size method for my underdrawing, only I used a one-to-two ratio instead of a one-to-one, meaning I doubled my measurements each time so that my drawing would turn out double the size of what I saw, at least in theory. Anyway, I absolutely messed up the proportions even worse than before. Also, at some point during the drawing, I knocked over the items, and couldn't get the exact position that they started in. (Note to self: Do not put objects you intend to draw in precarious positions.) Ah well, I guess this is just one of my off days.

So here is the unfortunate result result: *cringes*
    6-4-14-1.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great effort and determination! =)
    keep them coming!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to minifong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The result's not that bad you know. You shouldn't be overcritical when you're learning or else you're cringe every minute thinking how to avoid mistakes than actually drawing. After all, mistakes help us learn, right?

And regarding the proportion blow-up, it works best with the visual measuring technique. Eyeballing it and doubling the measurements might not be enough I think. And do you draw in rough forms and then cleanup or do you directly do the observational sketches just via contour drawings and proportion mapping?

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaioken20XGoku For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, don't put yourself down so much, it's not that bad at all!

On that note, have you tried plumb line drawing? It's quite similar to sycra's technique, except you use a string with a weight attached to it instead of a pencil to measure. It might be worth a try!

My CA sketchbook- Please help with some critique!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Waze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ minifong: Thanks! The stuff in your sketchbook is awesome!

@ Kaioken20XGoku: You're right...I should ease up on myself some. As for your question, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "proportion measuring", but it sounds more like what I begin with. Basically, for these last couple, I've been using proportions and measurements to establish "landmarks" of the still life drawing, that I then use for a light, rough block-in of the basic shapes. I end with a contour line drawing. However, I'm interested as to your opinions about the ideal process for these type of pieces as well.

@Waze: I actually have heard of plumb line drawing in the aforementioned video by Proko, but I didn't feel like finding a string and attaching a weight. Thinking about it now though, I should try it out! Thanks for the tip!

Some form doodling I finished today:
    6-5-14-1.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For this one, I sort of combined the linear block-in with the drawing measuring techniques Proko describes in his video for the underdrawing, and then used the contour drawing technique for the final lines.
    6-6-14-1.jpg

Last edited by dragning; June 7th, 2014 at 11:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some form drawings and a linear still life.
    6-8-14-1.jpg
    6-8-14-2.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job! Your perseverance is great, and it will pay off. I'm excited to see your work once you've finished all these still life studies. Keep on truckin'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dang, you've been doing a lot of still lifes! I can already see an improvement in the way you render detail,I really like the way you draw forks too. The grittiness definitely works. Like others have already mentioned, you might wanna try some other stuff too, just to keep it fun for yourself. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ The Colorado Kid: Thanks! I am excited to see my work when this is finished as well!

@ felix_bambaboy: You too(pertaining to the "keeping up the good work" part)! That's cool to hear that you can see improvement! Hopefully that will extend to other areas of the drawing, not just the details. Thanks so much!

The proportions on this one were pretty far off from reality, but I sort of ignored that fact and rushed into the final lines instead of correcting the problem areas. From now on (or at least for now), I want to work more on getting a fairly correct underdrawing with these drawing measuring techniques before transitioning into the details.
    6-9-14-1.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like I'm just echoing what's already been said, but it's fantastic that you've been so consistent in your practice and gotten this good at thirteen. Keep going with this, you're doing great. Again, like others have already said, you might want to try drawing something else just to keep yourself from getting bored (anatomy, figure drawing, pets, cartoons, etc.) But if you're happy with what you're doing, then ignore this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Pignog: Thanks for the compliment and advice! Actually, I'm 14 now (my birthday was last month). Nonetheless, thanks again and welcome to CA!

My underdrawing still wasn't great for this one, but hopefully it was a step in the direction of more accurate proportions and placement.
    6-10-14-1.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work's incredible for your age. Keep it up and you'll be a prodigy.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 304