Sketchbook: dragning's sketchbook - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The scanner was giving a bit me of grief again today, although not quite as bad.
    Name:  5-4-14-1.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  160.7 KB
    Name:  5-4-14-2.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  1.00 MB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good still-life studies keep on practicing! An advice from me if you don't mind... You can add 'quality of line' to your stroke thickness. It will make your objects more live and not flat. Thick stroke is for object closer to our eyes and thin stroke is for object further from our eyes. I picked one of your pic as a sample. I hope you are okay with that... And also one of my still-life drawing during college. You can see my study of 'quality of line' on the watch.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Can be seen carrying sketchbook around nearby bus station.
    Springofsea's Sketchbook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to springofsea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ springofsea: That's a nice watch! Thanks for the advice on line quality. I've played with it a bit before, but it never crossed my mind for these linear still lifes. I need to expirement with that pronto! And by the way, I don't mind you doing a draw-over at all. In fact, that's super helpful! Thanks for stopping by!

I did most of the top half of these form manipulations in a moving car, which certainly didn't aid my line control.
    Name:  5-5-14-1.png
Views: 218
Size:  101.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried implementing springofsea's suggestion about using line quality to create depth. Hopefully, you can notice it in the scan of the linear still life. My main qualm with this technique is that the bolder lines in the foreground make inserting details or smaller/thinner features (such as the parting in the blade on the peeler or bevels on the edges of the peeler) more difficult due to the limited capability of the larger strokes. This is unfortunate because the closer objects would be the ones with more visible details. Perhaps I am thinking about this wrong though? Sorry if I utterly confused you as well.
    Name:  5-6-14-1.png
Views: 215
Size:  94.0 KB
    Name:  5-6-14-2.png
Views: 217
Size:  359.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! Good work, feels like you have a passion, that's great =)

A little bit critique - looks like your drawings (studies) skewed to the right for some reason. You can check and see it, here's the hint - take your drawing and flip it so you can see the back side of the sheet and look at the picture against the light source. How to fix this - always check your vertical axis, it should be parallel to vertical edge of the sheet, and of course horizontal axis should be parallel to the horizontal edge of the sheet.
    Name:  dragning.png
Views: 209
Size:  211.4 KB

Hope my explanation is clear, if not - feel free to ask)

Also about perspective. You have good understanding of perspective as I can see, but for some reason you don't pay attention to perspective in your smaller studies. Try to apply your knowledge about perspective on your studies from life.

Overall, as I said - good work, keep it up =)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aya-kun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Aya-kun: Thanks for the critique! I too have noticed that many of my drawings are skewed usually a good way in or after finishing them as I look over and anaylze the piece. The trick about the light source is pretty cool--I'll have to try it some time! I'm wondering if I could solve this problem by using a ruler (I don't have any T-squares) to draw a series of vertical lines in a different colored pencil to serve as a reference for my verticals, almost like a perspective grid, without the VP's. I guess I'll try it! As for your point about perspective, I have probably ignored using it in these linear still lifes due to laziness and trying to focus on learning the "drawing what you see" thing. If you don't mind me asking, how would you go about applying perspective knowledge to these linear still lifes? Thanks for the reply and for your encouragement. I appreciate it. By the way, your art is amazing!

And now for today's work:
    Name:  5-7-14-1.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  162.3 KB
    Name:  5-7-14-2.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  249.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello dragning! Nice start there... For smaller/thinner features, you can leave it with thinner stroke, because they are minor part of object. Don't worry. Keep practicing with the quality of line, you'll catch what I mean soon Try to explore and analyze everyday's objects wherever and whenever you go. Or you can also check comics/manga for stroke reference

Can be seen carrying sketchbook around nearby bus station.
    Springofsea's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're 13, holy smacks. You're doing amazing, and have the maturity to understand that the only way to improve is to put in the hard work...I wish I was that mature at your age, hell I wish my 18 year son was that mature!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again, look, I've made a perspective grid based on your photoframe in the last of your drawings
    Attachment 1964103
    If it's two-point perspective you know that all the parallel lines goes to this two vanishing points, and vertical lines stay just vertical (vertical = parallel to left and right edges of your sheet). Check your vertical lines, it's skewed again in some places.

Your life drawings a bit complicated, I'd advice you to draw one thing at the time, like only photoframe, only glass, only jar, then combine composition of two things, then three, ect.

And btw, you know how to build ellipses? Hint - first draw a square in your perspective, then draw ellipse inside.

I'm still studying perspective too, for myself I've found this videos VERY helpfull http://www.marshallart.com/other/shop/videos/index.php it's just $12, but I think you can find free alternative like for example http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Anyway, I'm glad you're continuing your studies! Keep it up =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ springofsea: Thanks! Line quality definitely seems to add a 3D effect to the drawings. I'll have to expirement with it more. Comic studies should be fun!

@ Paladis: Thank you for the compliment, although I am really not that mature (what can I say, I am 13), but I now know hardwork is vital--now I need to work on applying that knowledge.

@ Aya-kun: The perspective grid doesn't seem to show. Perhaps it is a broken link? Anyway, these life drawings were supposed to be an exercise in observational drawing, as described in Ctrl+Paint's Simple Still Life video, although apparently I can't even manage that. Perhaps I should simply scrap the idea to do 100 and work on perspective more. I'm not sure. About ellipses, I'm aware of how to construct them. I've actually worked through Norling's Perspective Made Easy before and I have How to Draw by Scott Robertson lying around, which I plan to study this summer.

A workseet from Ctrl+Paint on the Horizon Line. Either Matt Kohr was rather off in his drawing, or I am absolutely unable to locate the horizon line and/or vanishing points accurately.
    Name:  5-8-14-2.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  74.6 KB
    A linear still life, with verticals printed on rather than drawn with colored pencil.
    Name:  5-8-14-1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  275.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, sorry for that, for some reason link was broken
    Name:  dragning2.png
Views: 184
Size:  296.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some form doodling.
    Name:  5-9-14-1.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  106.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dragning, good stuff here, keep practicing, you're only 13 yo, surely has a great future ahead. I have to check this CTRL+PAINT website you all talk about, looks like a good one for beginners, which is my case

"Become who you are" - Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ elvistking: Thanks! We're both in the same boat as far as being beginners, but hopefully someday we'll progress to become more than that. Keep practicing as well!

Some form manipulations.
    Name:  5-10-14-2.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  291.7 KB
    I decided to construct a checkerboard in 2 point perspective reminiscent of the one in Norling's Perspective Made Easy.
    Name:  5-10-14-1.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  254.8 KB
    Finally, here are the linear still lifes for the day. I chose not to mess with line quality on the second one for the sake of time.
    Name:  5-10-14-3.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  494.3 KB

Last edited by dragning; May 10th, 2014 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More linear still lifes without the implementation of line quality.
    Name:  5-11-14-1.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  447.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two more simple still lifes without line quality.
    Name:  5-12-14-1.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  465.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another one:
    Name:  5-13-14-1.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  250.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Curious, what is all the writing, I can't read it, are they notes or thoughts? I can't wait to see your work at 19-20, you're going to be spectacular if you keep this up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At 13 years old I could barely do semi straight lines. Impressive. Like your sense of perspective and form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, with correct verticals your studies look much much better, good work!

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, what is your goal? And what do you like to draw the most? What kind of artist you want to be?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Paladis: Oh, sorry! The cloud of mangled handwriting is a list of differences (issues) I notice when I hold my finished drawing up to the real scene. The goal is to train myself to anaylze my work and look at it with a more objective lens, but perhaps I go a bit overboard? Thanks for the encouragement as well!

@ PT Abram: Thanks...although, I struggle to do those things still. If you saw the full size image of these drawings, you'd see all the little dips and bends in what are supposed to be straight lines, but why else would I be practicing? Your stuff is great too! I love your understanding of form!

@ Aya-kun: I'll have to continue to work on those verticals. Your advice has really helped in that respect already though. As for my goal, favorite subject (to draw of course), desired specialization, etc., I don't particulary know. The main thing I desire is to eventually create concept art full-time, whether in an in-house position or as freelancer. However, I'm not quite sure about the other stuff. For so long, I've been focused on doing these exercises and working on the fundamentals, but haven't quite pondered what I am going to apply them to. The real reason, or at least one of them, that brought me to art was the ability to tell stories and build worlds. Whether this includes vehicles, environments, characters, or a mix of all 3 for me, I will have to find out. But for now, I intend to just buckle down and study the fundamentals!

On to the drawings! Here are two more linear still lifes not including line quality.
    Name:  5-14-14-1.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  137.7 KB

Last edited by dragning; May 21st, 2014 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't been able to post for the past week or so due to the CA server being moved, upgraded, etc., so here is what I have been doing, organized by date.

5/15:
    Name:  5-15-14-2.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  157.6 KB
    Name:  5-15-14-1.jpg
Size:  291.2 KB
    5/16:
    Name:  5-16-14-2.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  168.1 KB
    Name:  5-16-14-1.jpg
Size:  297.5 KB
    5/17:
    Today, I watched Sycra's "How to Draw Form" video and took notes, then drew my attempt at flour sacks in addition to the linear still lifes.
    Name:  5-17-14-2.jpg
Size:  179.1 KB
    Name:  5-17-14-1.jpg
Size:  86.5 KB
    5/18:
    This was the only day I really varied the line thickness on purpose in the linear still lifes.
    Name:  5-18-14-1.jpg
Size:  107.3 KB
    5/19:
    Name:  5-19-14-1.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  318.4 KB
    5/20:
    Name:  5-20-14-1.jpg
Size:  305.0 KB
    5/21:
    Name:  5-21-14-1.jpg
Size:  348.4 KB
    5/22:
    Name:  5-22-14-1.jpg
Size:  336.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So today I decided to try something a bit different with my linear still life. For the majority of my previous ones, I have done a quick gestural underdrawing in colored pencil that I then basically ignore as I perform a contour drawing--following the outline of the objects and hoping my drawing won't become too far off. I wanted to try expirementing with the linear block-in technique, which I've pretty much neglected so far, so I used it to essentially draw the majority of the scene in normal graphite, then made it faint with my kneaded eraser and used it as a guideline for my actual, finished (we'll call it that) drawing. The result is an extremely misproportioned depiction of life. Woo hoo! But really, I hope to work with this technique a bit more and see if I can't find a decent way to involve it in my work flow for these linear still lifes. Sorry for the rambling!

Here is the piece with some (or maybe alot) of notes:
    Name:  5-23-14-1.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  290.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work ethic. You're going to be improving very quickly at this rate, especially since you are willing to look at your work with a critical eye. I would suggest varying your subject matter a bit; try some figures and landscapes from reference. That way, you can apply what you are learning in order to solve different sets of problems. It will really help solidify those concepts and skills.

I'll definitely keep an eye on your progress, I'm looking forward to seeing more. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sketchbook is amazing considering you are only 13! I'm talking about your self criticism and keeping notes about your drawings. Also the way you are working professionally on improving. Reminds me when I was already working as a programmer when I was also 13 (of course since programming requires only analytical/logical skills it is faster to grasp, while drawing requires analytical/logical/manual/and more?).

To be really honest, I'm 27 and I'm jealous about how you can already provide self criticism on your art, and when you draw next you improved your previous piexe.. I still don't have the knowledge/eyes/technic for that on my drawings.

Keep going like this and you surely will be a professional when you reach 18-19!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ The Colorado Kid: Thanks! I do admit that it is rather mundane to mainly do these linear still lifes, and I definitely plan to branch out in the not too distant future. However, I set myself the goal of drawing 100 of these some time ago (haha, nice going ), and I am stubbornly determined to accomplish it at the moment. I totally agree with your suggestion though!

@ Maquiavelli: Thank you so much for your encouragement! I've dabbled with programming in the past too, but I never really got off the ground with it, but apparently you did, so you've one-upped me in that respect. Anyway, don't beat yourself up! The very fact that you joined this site and started a sketchbook is a step in the right direction! Keep drawing! I would love to see your progress as well!

So here's my work for today, for which I utilized the same technique described in my last post involving the linear block-in:
    Name:  5-24-14-1.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  511.2 KB
    Name:  5-24-14-2.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  286.1 KB

30. The Following User Says Thank You to dragning For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet dude! Let's be friends as well as rivals xD We're only 5 years apart and I'm learning too

I'm a scribble ninja! Hah!
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Kaioken20XGokuA: Haha! Bring it on!

Today I finished another still life with the aforementioned technique as well as some form doodling, this time involving the draw-through technique. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a very good scan of the latter.
    Name:  5-25-14-2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  301.6 KB
    Name:  5-25-14-1.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  156.4 KB
    P.S. I kind of forgot to mention that I turned 14 a couple of weeks ago, so yeah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dragning View Post
    @ Kaioken20XGokuA: Haha! Bring it on!

Today I finished another still life with the aforementioned technique as well as some form doodling, this time involving the draw-through technique. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a very good scan of the latter.
    Name:  5-25-14-2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  301.6 KB
    Name:  5-25-14-1.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  156.4 KB
    P.S. I kind of forgot to mention that I turned 14 a couple of weeks ago, so yeah.
    You are drawing forms like crazy x)
    You're already developing a huge library of shapes by altering forms and stuff I guess.
    I did some still lifes too but the linear block in technique is giving me some issues. Usually plain contour drawings give me the ease along with vertical measuring but I guess you're pulling it off pretty well

I'm a scribble ninja! Hah!
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Youtube Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dragning, good to see you're trying new techniques! About block-in: it was only after starting my journey here at CA that I realized how helpful it is (for me at least). I notice that I'm getting to the "finished" sketch faster than when I used to jump direct into the final lines. Also I'm able to draw a better, confident line.
    Keep going and never stops!!

"Become who you are" - Nietzsche

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 303