yatsuzaki - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: yatsuzaki - Composition 1.1

Thanks

yatsuzaki - Composition 1.1

Hello!

Here are my first two studies. I picked these two paintings because I love the high contrast and how they're simple, yet work very well.

1. Sargent, 1 hour
    Name:  study001.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  164.7 KB
    I struggled quite a bit with the proportions for this piece and realised I should've spent more time getting them right at the beginning. There is a lot of economy used here, with emphasis on the man's eyes. Most of the painting is painted loosely, with the eyes being the only part that has hard edges.

2. Leighton, 1 hour
    Name:  study002.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  159.4 KB
    Like the Sargent piece, there is economy and emphasis here on the girl's silhouette. There are also elements of rhythm and balance with the hard edges of the folds of the sleeve, the softness of the facial features, and again the crisp edges of the girl's bun.

Comments & critique most welcome! Thank you

-Kyla

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    3. Leighton - Maid with the Golden Hair, 1.5 hours
    Name:  study003.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  145.7 KB
    Spent a bit more time on the study today. In this piece, I noticed that the pattern/frills on the woman's dress create lines that point/lead towards her face. The hard edges on her right wrist and thumb emphasise her hand which points upwards, and seems to 'connect' the frills on her sleeve with those in the middle of her dress, which in turn leads to the face. Another thing that prevent's the viewers' eyes from leaving the painting is the ring of highlights at the top of her head, which creates a shape that looks like it's pointing downwards.

Also, I never noticed the fabric behind her on the right side of the painting until now.

-Kyla

Thanks
    I think the lightest values in each of your paintings is a little too light/white eg. the guys shirt and chin, the neck and back of the second woman and the top of the third woman's dress. So I'd double check your values.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,988 Times in 2,554 Posts
    agreed. I also think a soft edged airbrush at low opacity would be best for smooth transitions on faces. your marks on areas which require gradients are too obvious and pronounced...hard edged. watch for that. a soft edged brush as said, should help solve that.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Thanks
    agreed. I also think a soft edged airbrush at low opacity would be best for smooth transitions on faces. your marks on areas which require gradients are too obvious and pronounced...hard edged. watch for that. a soft edged brush as said, should help solve that.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I tried to match the values as best as I could within the time limit for today's study. Also worked on softening the areas with gradients.

4. Sargent - Joseph Jefferson, 1 hour
    Name:  study004.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  138.6 KB
    Like the first Sargent piece, a lot of economy used here, and I really like the subtle highlights used to show the man's glasses in his hand. Also just noticed that the sleeve of his left hand needs to be brighter.

-Kyla

Thanks
    Here are my studies from the past few days:

5. Bouguereau - Le Coquillage, 2 hours
    Name:  study005.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  84.0 KB
    I picked this painting because I like the high contrast between the girl and the rest of the painting. The angle of the girl and woman's arms and hands create a zigzag sort of line, which point to areas of interest in the painting - the seashell in the girl's right hand, the girl's face and seashell, the girl's left hand being held by the woman, and the woman's face.

7. Repin - Refusal of Confession, 1 hour
    Name:  study007.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  68.8 KB
    The cross and prisoner's face are placed close to the line that divides the top 1/3 of this painting, while the prisoner and pastor's figures lie on the two vertical lines that divide this painting into thirds.

8. Repin - Anton Rubinstein, 1 hour 45 mins
    Name:  study008.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  94.4 KB
    I picked this piece because I really like the clear silhouette of the subject. Also, the conductor's baton and music score create lines that frame the his face.

Number 6 is missing cause I was distracted halfway through.. will finish it and put it up soon.

-Kyla

Last edited by yatsuzaki; April 14th, 2014 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks
    Number 4 is better but I cant see the 5,7 or 8 you might have to try upload them again.

Thanks
    Thanks, just uploaded them again

Thanks
    fabulous job on your shapes and values. the main challenge at this point is with edges and surface texture which impacts edge quality. make sure you are getting your sharp to soft edge range accurately portrayed and these will bump way up quality wise.

keep it up.

jm

Members who have read this thread: 34