Thanks

AspiringArtist2 - Color and Light 1.1

So I do not have an adequately sized mirror to use, so I just took a photo. Is that alright? I hope.

1. The highlight is the lightest light and appears where the light source hits a plane that is angled back to the viewer. The material makeup also determines the quality of the specularity.

2.The core shadow is within the shadow mass and is the darkest shadow element.

3. The radiosity adds a higher value to a surface when a surface with equal or greater value is near it. The fingers near the face brighten my cheek just slightly.

4. Fewer details on my hand keeps the focus on the face.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    beautiful start.

save your black blacks for smaller accents and use an almost black for the larger fields. this will help you better control your composition. the shirt could be revisited, in terms of the marks there, and the hand needs more time, as it is in such a key area of the painting...right in the focal area.

regardless, this is looking great. keep it up!

jm

Thanks
    Great job aspiringartist! Your brushwork looks very confident. Keep in mind that photos can't really read shadows, so they just turn everything black and lose the subtle darks. I'm guessing that's where all your extra black is coming from. You may want to pull out a small mirror and look at how the shadows work, just so you know, even if you can't do the whole portrait from life.

Lookin forward to the update!

Thanks
    Alright, thanks both of you for the tips. I will definitely try that out, Dahlia. I should have thought of that.

Thanks

ApiringArtist2 - Color and Light 1.1

So after coming back to this painting, I realized my head looked like a balloon, so I fixed that as well as what you suggested.

Thanks
    if you cover up the head and hand..literally block it out...you can better see the neck and shirt and i think a bit of investigation there would resolve that. it is less observed. you can keep it simple...just be sure that the accents and shapes are observed and interesting.

nice adjustments.

jm

Thanks

AspiringArtist2 - Color and Light 1.1

Coming back to this assignment, I remembered that I had a lamp pointed directly at my face, that is partly why my shirt is as dark as it is, but I did lighten up the image as there was just way too much darkness, so much as to be unrealistic. Also Jason, if you could allow me access again to continue Level Up, that would be great.

Thanks
    sure thing.

be sure you are watching the folds and shapes on the shirt as carefully as you watch the face etc...you can put less detail but carefully analyzing shapes there will bring up the quality.

jm