Hello everybody, i've been wanting to start doing this exercise for some weeks now but i didn't because i thought i wasn't ready, and because i usually leave things half done, hopefully i'll be diligent enough to make 20 studies or more, i really think i can imporve with this.
My first image is by John Singer Sargent, "Madame X", i chose this one because it's one of my favourite paintings, i love the profile of this woman, and i love the contrast between the dark dress and her pale skin.
I really struggled at the beggining trying to get the proportions right, first i made her too wide, then too tall... I managed to get them right by adding some crosshairs and finding guide points, like the point were the dress comes toguether at her cleavage creating a heart shape kinda, that point is right in the middle of the painting horizontally, finding that was really helpful. Later i just blocked in the biggest shapes and continued adding detail. I'm happy of how it came out altough i can see errors in the values, the background is lighter than it should be and her skin lacks some of the lightest parts, this was because i was copying from the screen of another device, the values looked different there. I'll try to find a better way to do the next study.