Daker777 - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Daker777 - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Daker777 - Composition 1.1

Hello everybody, i've been wanting to start doing this exercise for some weeks now but i didn't because i thought i wasn't ready, and because i usually leave things half done, hopefully i'll be diligent enough to make 20 studies or more, i really think i can imporve with this.

My first image is by John Singer Sargent, "Madame X", i chose this one because it's one of my favourite paintings, i love the profile of this woman, and i love the contrast between the dark dress and her pale skin.

I really struggled at the beggining trying to get the proportions right, first i made her too wide, then too tall... I managed to get them right by adding some crosshairs and finding guide points, like the point were the dress comes toguether at her cleavage creating a heart shape kinda, that point is right in the middle of the painting horizontally, finding that was really helpful. Later i just blocked in the biggest shapes and continued adding detail. I'm happy of how it came out altough i can see errors in the values, the background is lighter than it should be and her skin lacks some of the lightest parts, this was because i was copying from the screen of another device, the values looked different there. I'll try to find a better way to do the next study.

Name:  Comp.png
Views: 204
Size:  203.3 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also here's how i sketched out the values, sorry for the messy image

Name:  part1Comp.png
Views: 94
Size:  255.7 KB

Also also, forgot to say that i'm ignoring the 1 hour limit time for now, i've read in some other threads that it doesn't matter first until you get used to it, when i can do this faster i'll try to meet the limit. It took me around 2 and half hours to do this probably, maybe 3 hours, i'm not sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Comp2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  55.7 KB

I'm not really sure what is wrong with this one but it looks kinda weird to me, it looks wrong in general but... i don't know, i would like some critique on this one specially.

What i always loved about this painting is how subtly the pearl is painted, it consists of a highlight and a little reflective light that comes from the collar, and it stands out even more because it's surrounded by shadows, that was always pretty fascinating to me. I also like the balance of the values, there's a nice mix of very dark, very light and middle tones. I realized the rhythm that the edge of the lights have, apart from that it creates a line that moves your eye around the painting, the bandana thing helps to do that too.

I started doing this yesterday but didn't get to finish it, i finished it right now. It's morning here in my country btw xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like these, not sure what to say in terms of crits

Possibly the background on madame X a little too light,
    The head of the girl with the pearl earring is a fraction too small and the chin should stick out a bit more.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ex-Spectator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,001 Times in 2,567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    agreed on the prior crit about the sargent. keep an eye on those values, and double check them all before uploading. the vermeer is looking great. a few accents on the head scarf where there are darks on the top and it will wrap up. keep up the good work. jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been really lazy these days, i have no excuse

Name:  CoventryPatmoreStudy2.png
Views: 50
Size:  1.42 MB

I chose this one because i like the contrast, and i like how nice the brush strokes are in his face, i tried to mimic that using a hard brush and more confident brush strokes, i definetly want that to reflect in my paintings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. You are headed in the right direction. Your shapes and values are looking good. Be sure that you are keeping a close eye on your edges. Note where the sharpest sharpest sharps and softest soft edges are and use them as guideposts/landmarks for the rests of the edges in the image. Edges are important to space, form, and focal areas, so getting those in there will help the piece a lot. Once you do, you will see quality improve a lot.

Keep at it...you are going to do well with this.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I chose this one because i wanted to challenge myself, turned out wrong, i spent too much time on it and later i kinda forgot about it, but i'm gonna upload it now, it's not finished but it think it's enough. I tryed to keep my hard edges controlled and i think it turned out nicely. I like the continuty that the arms give and even tho it has a wide range of values, it's well balanced.

Name:  NymphNSatyr.png
Views: 21
Size:  935.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice study. You see value and shape well. Your edges are also coming along nicely. You have his head tilted at a more upright axis than the original and I would recommend not leaving the other woman's face blank. I do not expect these studies to be polished, although you may do so until you are content. Mainly I want to be sure that your shapes, values and edges are being handled very well and your compositional knowledge is being refined. So far so good. I want you to keep pushing to do better. There are spots in this bouguerau which are stunning, and other spots which are less so, which i think is just a time frame issue, but I would like to see you being as consistent as possible throughout the pieces.

Keep it up. You are on the right track.

JM

Members who have read this thread: 27