Thread: sunsault - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sunsault - Composition 1.1

Name:  John_Singer_Sargent_-_Fishing_for_Oysters_at_Cancale_Study.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  86.0 KB

The people in the foreground are positioned in a very rhythmic way; suggesting movement in the piece. The economy in this piece is used to help create a sense of space; The lighthouse in the background is suggested with shapes. In addition all the individuals in the focal point is more detailed. The is a diagonal suggesting the direction everyone is coming from.
    PS: The full name of the piece is "Fishing for Oysters at Cancale". I forgot to put it in the Title!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start! I like how you hint texture in your study. I think the darks on the background could use a bit more dark, but I think you communicated well the rough tonal values. Will keep an eye for the next ones to come! Keep it up!

The key is to start doing. The rest falls into place eventually.

Sketchblog | DeviantART

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - RaliVanMinks: Thank you for your feedback! I'll keep that in mind.

Here goes the second round!

Name:  NC Wyeth mysterious island.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  126.8 KB

This piece has a great sense of rhythm created by the mountains. Moreover, the mountains create a set of diagonals; And again creating that rhythm mentioned before. The waves help guide the eye to the ship, and from there the birds help guide the eye around the mountains. The clouds create stability on the piece with a few horizontals.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,224 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great job. the light pattern on the rocks is a little stronger and standing out more in the original, value wise...but overall this is an excellent study. please do add in textured brushes to images that are so surface important like this one.

keep up the great work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason Manley- I'll make sure to keep an eye on those values!

Here goes one more! Gotta love Frazetta!

Name:  Sea Witch.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  203.4 KB

EDIT: I forgot to talk about the composition in this piece. So here it goes!
    I notice that the witch is positioned withing the golden spiral. Or perhaps the use of the rule of thirds. Apart from that the waves help move the towards the witch and the implied line created by her hand helps create a spiral that keeps your eye within the canvas.

Last edited by Sunsault; April 10th, 2014 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  James-Gurney-Ebulon.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  86.0 KB

The focus of the piece is definitely the statue. Id say there is some sort of rhythm between the dinosaurs, the statue, and the birds. The piece overall is very calm; because of the vertical and horizontal lines created by the horizon and the statue.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great job on the values on the seascape. you went a little less contrasting value wise, on the most recent. keep watching that. the seascape challenges you are facing have to do with double checking and triple checking all your positive and negative shapes prior to rendering details like the figure. You scaled the figure up some, for example.

You are on the right track...keep pushing your accuracy and you will get there.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason Manley - I notice that on the James gurney study I actually worked on a very small canvas so getting the edges right was difficult. And I notice after I posted it. As far as the Frazetta study you are actually right. I didn't even notice that I scaled up the figure! Thanks for the feedback!

Well its been a week, I was feeling a little burned out so I had to rest a little bit. Anyway here's another study.

Name:  Gerome_Jean_Leon_Napoleon_And_His_General_Staff_In_Egypt_study-Recovered.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  198.3 KB

In the foreground you can spot napoleon right away. Located on the foreground sitting on top of a camel. Off center helping the composition. The positioning of the army helps harmonize the piece by repeating the elements by the way they are arranged. The economy in the piece helps the focal point very clear, in this case, Napoleon. Moreover, it helps with the illusion of atmospheric perspective; making the army look very vast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love that painting...

Mainly I think you did a great job. I think you can get closer with your shapes, but you are absolutely on the right track and making progress. beautiful job on the surface textures..that is spot on.

keep working on shape accuracy as this piece is all about shapes.

jm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JM - Good to hear that! thankfully a friend found some brushes that helped me achieve the texture of the painting!

Name:  rembrandt study the mill.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  117.6 KB

As far as this stud goes. It's very disappointing the result with the textures. Damn you Rembrandt I shall study you until I achieve the desired result!!
    Now as far as the composition observations I've made; The mill itself is slightly off-center. There are plenty of horizontals giving the piece a very solid feeling to it. The implied line from the boat helps keep the eye within the piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are headed in the right direction with your textures...maybe be less timid with them...perhaps even overdo them and smooth them out in areas that need more soft surface/smooth surfaces. this is the time to experiment as it will come out in your own work later...go for it! nice work btw...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JM - Thank you for the advice! I haven't tried anything like that yet; so i'ts something ill keep in mind when I do my next study.

Name:  1903 Major General Leonard Wood oil on canvas 76.2 x 63.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  107.9 KB

Wanted to do a portrait study. The economy i this piece really helps the focal point; the face of course. The detail in the uniform of the general gives the piece some variety.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice work. you can up your light contrast/strength on the forehead but overall this looks great. keep it up.

jm

Members who have read this thread: 6