Thanks

How best do I apply to game studios in person?

So I'm graduating in December with a degree in illustration from a school with a pretty good program, and I'm working on building a good portfolio for that graduation. I also know I need to worry about finding places to work, obviously, and I want to spend the summer traveling the USA and looking at studios. Sadly, none of the teachers at my illustration faculty have any experience with applying to game studios specifically. They can give the same general advice anyone can give when it comes to making resumes, but as for this profession in particular, they have no idea.

How do I go about applying to places in person? Should I call a studio I'm interested in and let them know I'm gonna come by and drop off a physical portfolio? Or do I just walk in, hand them my business card, and be on my way? I like to think that, all things considered, meeting a studio in person to apply or advertise myself to them should be more effective than emailing them a resume. If I screw it up though, then it's obviously all for naught.

Thanks in advance!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Studios won't want to see you in person unless they want to hire you. The best way to get blacklisted and never get hired is to show up unannounced. Even calling first telling them you want to come by will get you a restraining order.
    Before you go wasting money on a trip around the USA make sure you have a professional portfolio and web presence to email to studios looking for artists. Get some job offers if you can.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh god, wow. Thanks for stopping me! Is it poor etiquette to send an email with an application to a studio, even if they're not currently hiring? It's difficult finding resources teaching and explaining how to find job opportunities after school for the game industry.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    No email is fine just make sure it has a link to a finished portfolio of work otherwise it will be ignored. Remember as an artist your portfolio is all that matters, degrees and all that other stuff while they may be fulfilling to yo u as an individual are not important to art directors. Either you have the skills or you don't and if you have the skills they should be represented in your portfolio.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post: