Starting out with digital painting.

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Starting out with digital painting.

Hello people.
    I recently got myself a wacom tablet and want to improve my digital painting skills. This is a piece i did for my college magazine. I'm not too happy with the result. I think that it has a lot of issues but I'm not able to figure out what they are.
    I would be really grateful if someone pointed out the various mistakes that I have made and how i can go about correcting them.

Thanks.

Reference Used: http://www.deviantart.com/art/closet-309930695

Name:  closet.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  2.46 MB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 790 Posts
    The problems with this piece are not how you're using the digital medium - they're firmly set in your construction of the figure and use of value. You're better off taking your own reference photo than working off of someone else's drawing which has its own problems. Try to set up the same lighting scheme that you're aiming for in the finished image so you can see how the beam of light follows the form of the figure.

I think you should also consider dropping the orange-y backdrop; it's kinda distracting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Yes, the orange isn't doing you any favors. I agree with dierat -- snap some quick shots of yourself in that position to work from. When you further stylize someone else's stylizations, you're asking for trouble.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Thanks guys. I'm so happy that I discovered this website. Will start my sketchbook soon and hope to improve my skills.

Members who have read this thread: 22