Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How do you not get psyched out by talent...

Thanks

How do you not get psyched out by talent...

Okay so without going into a huge discussion about what's talent - whether it exists etc...

Almost every day I look on deviant art or some place else and I see someone new who just totally psyches me out. For example the latest one (last night) was this guy called Sean Sevestre... SS like JJ or Jaime Jones! I need to change my name to a double like Kelvin Klein! uhm... maybe not. Anyhow:

https://www.facebook.com/sean.sevestre

He's 20 years old and his work is excellent. I won't use hyperbole... he has excellent mastery of form, colour, lighting. To my mind he is the next Jaime Jones. It's obvious he works really hard and does a lot of studies. I'm not saying that this guy is doing something that I couldn't do (i.e. work hard)

But he's 20 and I'm 36 (37 this year). If I was 15 I'd just be inspired but at almost twice his age and with several years of hard graft to get to where he is already, it's hard not to get psyched out.

How do you handle looking at other people's work and not feel deflated? It seems to me that we live in a very strange time for art - a time where the internet basically puts the world at your finger tips. Instead of a small community of artists working in the suburbs of Paris you're working with this huge global network. As an artist it's hard not to make comparisons - the problem is that this is killing my creativity. You have to create art from a place of love and not fear but when there's kids (sorry Sean) - walking around with this kind of skill - what chance do the rest of us have?

Anyhow if people have coping mechanisms I'd like to hear them
    SKETCHBOOK / PORTFOLIO / ARTLORDS / ART STATION / DEVIANT ART / FACEBOOK

Oh and if you want to watch me paint live I recently got introduced to this thing called picarto TV... It's nice to do art and share it - if you have any questions it's great to talk too! I'm painting pretty much 12 hours a day so you'll most likely find me - unless I'm eating

LIVESTREAM
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    To be honest, I am not that impressed by Sean Sevestre. He has an excellent sense of colour, which seems to be native to some people, but is sticking to work where he can optimally use this sense. What I am missing is anatomy, construction, perspective, line quality, posing, to name but a few. Yes, I am impressed, knowing that he is so young, but my coping strategy is that there are many people ahead of me...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,240 Times in 800 Posts
    Try to figure out what makes their work great, learn from it, and incorporate it into your own work if possible. I like to put excellent work on my desktop background so I see it every time I start my computer up so I can better understand why it is so effective. After a while of studying an image, you might also start to see what could have been done differently to a possibly better effect.

Of course it stings when you see an artist that seems so accomplished and is not much older than you, is the same age as you, or is younger than you. But that's just life. I just remind myself how much better I am than yesterday and how much better I will be tomorrow, but only if I keep working on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    I've been thinking about that a lot lately, lovingit. I mean, about the fact that the internet puts you in direct competition with, um, however many hundreds of millions of people are now connected. I've been trawling CG Hub today. Good lord, there are some gob-smackingly good Photoshoppers coming out of China these days. Intimidating as hell.

There's a flip side to that, too, though: you're also connected to hundreds of millions of customers hungry for art. There's an artist (I won't name him) who I think is just appalling. Bad picture ideas, terrible grasp of drawing fundamentals. His work makes me angry, it's so naff. He has an incredibly loyal fan base, though, and they're all posting things like, "I bought a print of your latest and it inspires me every morning" or "oh no, this picture made me cry sitting here at my desk." They consume his work in preference to the stuff that I think is so great. Somehow. Amazingly.

I guess what I'm saying is that the connected world is a world of niches. (Which, sadly, brings us to marketing, a thing at which I suck royally).
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Oh stoat - you made me laugh! Also for some bizarre reason I keep thinking about your tagline - 'suppoobly a art fan' WTF... I woke up this morning and it was in my mind. I guess because it's like shorting some synapses in my brain or something. I keep repeating it to myself when I'm brushing my teeth or whatever!

Do you mean supposedly an art fan? Aaargh! Does not compute - that's some clever marketing right there

N. E. How

Yes I DO see people whose work I think sucks - but for some reason they get work so yeah... I guess that's something. Although it feels a little like get depressed or angry pick your poison. I have no idea what to do about marketing... go to conventions and stuff I guess but that's a bit hard as I live in the middle of nowhere France so it's gotta be internet marketing.
    SKETCHBOOK / PORTFOLIO / ARTLORDS / ART STATION / DEVIANT ART / FACEBOOK

Oh and if you want to watch me paint live I recently got introduced to this thing called picarto TV... It's nice to do art and share it - if you have any questions it's great to talk too! I'm painting pretty much 12 hours a day so you'll most likely find me - unless I'm eating

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Oh, I can explain my subhead! Some kids showed up in the Art Discussion forum one day trying to pick our brains about artists. They confessed they were asking questions for a school homework assignment.

Half an hour later, another kid (clearly from the same class) showed up asking the same questions and pretended it was nothing to do with homework, he was just really, really super interested in art. The more we teased him, the angrier he got until he burst out, "you are suppoobly a art fan!"

I loved it so I kept it.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I remember back 7 years ago when I discovered deviantart I was in awe of a lot of the stuff there. It wasn't that I was new to art having grown up in a house with lots of artbooks and art and traversing the artsy social circles with my mother, it was just huge collections of stuff I had no idea even existed. I didn't know you could do digital art like that, I didn't even know there were tablets. Now when I go back and check out the same pictures I more often than not cringe at the fact that I found them any good. That to me is already a sign of how far I have come and how stupid I was.

Now when I see someone's work I really like, I just get a positive moodlet. It's like yeah, found some awesome art today. I don't know if I will ever be as good (because I feel by now my brain has developed enough to distinguish what actually is good art (to me)) and in either case I wouldn't really like to imitate anyone so specifically, but I don't feel bad about it. Sometimes I feel motivated, sometimes when I feel my life goals are somewhere else, I just enjoy.

However , every now and then when I see someone's amazing work and I find out they're 18 or something I do get the 'what the fuck are you doing with your life, girl?!' mini-depression.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,103 Times in 2,488 Posts
    I think its funny you think living in the Paris suburbs in the 19th century surrounded by 3 centuries of the greatest art in the world made it easier for the people then compared to now. There is not one person on this site or anywhere working in games or Entertainment that will be remembered in 50 years. Its all disposable crap compared to the good art in museums around the world. That especially applies to people doing digital which is even more disposable than the traditional crap being made now.

And just to prove how useless this navel gazing is, tell me who did the most comic book covers in the 1940's in America? See, you don't know. why? Because as good as that person was for their time period and the jobs they got, they made disposable crap that was tied to that era and is all but worthless now. And that is still better than the digital work (I can't even call it art because it isn't)being made today because it at least was a physical thing being made.
    Last edited by dpaint; April 6th, 2014 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks
    If you don't think this is art because he didn't make it by pushing dirt around with sticks on a piece of cloth...pah! This thread will now go to hell.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Photo bashing with some digital scribbling on top but comparing it to the Night Watch or Caravaggio's Crucifixion is just ignorant.If anybody with money and interest can buy a computer and software and do that it isn't art, its just stuff. Art has to be above what most people accomplish better than the crowd, otherwise it's just more crap.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm guessing I've been painting longer than you've been alive. And yes, with dirt and sticks on cloth (I was such an art snob, I made my own oil paints because the commercial rubbish wasn't good enough for me). I long since reconciled myself with digital -- it is simply the same skill set.

Riddle me this -- if I digitize the Night Watch and then burn the original, does the digital version now suck? Why not?

Photobashing with some digital scribbling on top -- and making it look halfway decent -- is some of the hardest artwork I've ever done.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I'm guessing I've been painting longer than you've been alive. And yes, with dirt and sticks on cloth (I was such an art snob, I made my own oil paints because the commercial rubbish wasn't good enough for me). I long since reconciled myself with digital -- it is simply the same skill set.

Riddle me this -- if I digitize the Night Watch and then burn the original, does the digital version now suck? Why not?
    First it wouldn't be the Night Watch. Scanning or photographing something real isn't the same as the real thing. Just like listening to music on CD isn't like being at the concert and seeing a musician play. Watching sex on the internet isn't the same as actually having sex. Its diminished only emotionally crippled people think its the same.

[/QUOTE]Photobashing with some digital scribbling on top -- and making it look halfway decent -- is some of the hardest artwork I've ever done.[/QUOTE]

That's your problem, it in no way means that it raises to the level of museum work, because you think its hard.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You know, dude, you aren't good enough to be this obnoxious.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast