EOW Round #228: Arachnid's Lair - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This round is getting better and better... Poll will be hot! =D

@MoggleSare - Thanx for sharing secret, and for advice. I'm not sure about HOW to make the edges of my work less capturing without just blurring or get em dark... So I will work on that.
    @DeaDer - I hate when somebody say that =D It was better before! Damn, I hate it! Ehehe... Well, it was too much clichè for my taste. Night, full moon, the black trees, the torch... You know... We live in days where every one who saw a big spiderweb and a wander with a spear, understand what's going on, so I prefered to clean off all the fake romanticism, and just keep it bright... If it was a game or a film, this would help to change the mood, when you in the lair. You were talking about the night version, right? =D
    @Jay - I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT... THAT BITE! EAWW!! =D Great improve, the spider is exactly where I was thinking...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first time EOWing, environments are a real weakness of mine and I tend to avoid them, so I thought it was time to leapt into the breach as it were and try an entry.

I found some reference of webs wrapped around plants, so thought I would do the same with a tree. I also did an interior which turned out as a flooded cave, somehow still with trees in it, not sure on that one.

If I have broken any rules please tell me!

Name:  spidersketches.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  168.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @OverlordGunnar: That is certainly an amazing piece, I could see such concept work in a DnD manual for sure! The updated one with the bigger spider is stellar, the asymmetrical flow of the piece looks awesome.
    @Mooglesarelittle: Thanks! I have a pretty vague idea of where everything is going, but I wanted to focus on mood and main lighting first so I know that if I want to add anything how it's going to be affected by, and affect nearby objects.
    @BlindLynx: I like how the webbing draws the eye into the center of the attention, which of course is the best part about this challenge really, the lines are everywhere but have a very powerful way of pull and pushing the eyes around.
    @Moirae: I like the look of the last one, the perspective is interesting and I could totally see so much depth and lighting fun to be had there.

Going to try to get a few hours in on my piece now that I've finally got a bit to spare.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Delofasht For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is my first environment. Took quite a while to draw. Any tips how to make it better? Thanks!
    Name:  spider cave3.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  542.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Old cathedral

Hello!
    Arachnid's Lair in the old cathedral. There is a a little backstory:

"..A group of people suddenly appeared from the city. At first glance, there were half a dozen, everybody was tall and strong . There were torch in left hand and sword or mace in the right one. The arches closed the squad. The devastating epidemic forced people to leave this part of the city. After a while the group came to the towered cathedral. Despite its age, the building was still breathtaking. The travelers stopped near the entrance arch. Bright torches highlighted thin filaments diverging everywhere on the facade. Gaze of the travelers slid up, bright glare of fire played on black chitin , people downstairs frozen. The commander gave the order to charge gestures arrows. Archers were took to the ring . Everybody prepared to fight."

I think it's the final or near it, C&C are welcome of course.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Moirae - Happy to see you here buddy =) My only advice for the first entries is to concentrate on shapes and composition. Your first sketches are maybe too much ambitious. Keep it simple: add water on your first EOW will make your draw MUCH HARDER. IMO the second one is the best. Clear and with a balanced composition, isn't that bright as the last one, but you will complicate things next time. Or you can just push the hell out of whatever your mind can wonder about =D

I Think I'm done for this round. An artist need to be brave enough to abandon works at the right moment. Work more just compromise quality and freshness. So here is... Last minute crits are welcome.

Name:  Aracno05.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  493.6 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlindLynx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only a moment so gonna post and run, will comment more when I have a chance to actually read and look at the pieces. Coming together, trying to wrack my brain and remember what I had planned for the foreground upper left corner of the environment, definitely had something in mind. I'm pretty sure that my perspective is freaking hard to pin down at the moment and when I get into full rendering the rest I'll need to choose a perspective line and set it as the main one, it feels a bit heavy to the middle of the canvas to me at the moment, I need to work on that.

Name:  ArachnidLair3-p.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  779.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ptimoszuk : I like it, but I think it could go for some more variety. Shapes, colors, textures could all have a bit more variety. Contrast could probably be pushed and using the light to direct the eye a bit more perhaps.

@Gr2n: Wow what a building! I like the mood and atomsphere, would you be willing to describe the process of creating such a massive structure? I'm very interested, would love to see the reference as well if it's available. Wish I could say I've used any in mine yet, I haven't and I know it shows, but I'm holding off as long as I can, gonna get close as I can to done then hop in with some reference to tighten my work up.

Probably last update before I post final. Going to start looking up some reference and tightening it up now. Much will be left alone as I feel it's about where I want it for this environment.

Name:  ArachnidLair5.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  956.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's more wip
    Name:  arachnidlair2.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  122.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Delofasht and Blindlynx!

I went for the second one in the end, it's a bit more straightforward for my first eow.
    It is still a bit dark at the moment, I hope to lighten the areas behind the trees to pick them out from the background a bit more and introduce some new colours. Looking at it again I don't seem to have light source, so might put a sickly moon in the sky.

Name:  spider12 copy.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  87.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Moirae - Yep! Go for it! Looking at the work, two option are grown in my mind: you could put a HUGE moon for pull up trees in black shape with white glaring on webs... Or you could even think of white trees, enveloped with webs, with black spiders standing out on them. Just for contribute =)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BlindLynx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Moirae - I like the composition you chose as well, the mood is very defined. Looks good so far.

I am posting one last time here I think this is my final, I will let it set for a day and spend another couple hours later perhaps. I'm still a touch slow I think, this took me roughly 20 hours to do. It was EXTREMELY enjoyable to do, more so even than the recent character of the week things I had done, and I believe this piece is something I would put in my portfolio, which is exactly what I'm going to do. Loved the challenge, might make a few tweaks before posting in finals.

Name:  ArachnidLair6-p.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  758.1 KB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Delofasht For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is what I have come up with, will post this in the final after a few tweaks.

Name:  spider12.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  241.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some fantastic work here. My Wip. I apologise for the crimes against perspective

Name:  Arachnid Lair.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  1.81 MB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Moirae - Very neat work, I like it. Happy you followed my advice. Maybe just considerate to put a light round shadow on the pic edge, just for focus more, and emphatize the moonlight.

@Gstar - welcome, and don't worry about crimes. Everyone born guilty against prospective =) Innocence is to be conquered!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BlindLynx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  archanids lair.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  126.7 KB
    I decided to go with this one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ptimoszuk:
    I like that a lot. It's weird and unsettling but not overtly "scary". I don't know if that was your intention, but it's cool. On a compositional note, I think it might be nice to push the fore/mid/background separation further. Perhaps one of those hanging sacs up in the extreme foreground.

Gr2n:
    Excellent piece. I think this is a nice alternate point-of-view to the expected caves and tunnels (like mine haha), but I think there needs to be more dramatic webbing for it to really read as a spider's lair. Right now if you removed the spider itself from the scene, the webs might just be because it's an old building. It's not immediately obvious a spider lives there. My 2 cents!

I started working on something for this even though I won't have time to finish today.

initial thumbnails:
    Name:  eow228-thumbs.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  116.8 KB

work-in-progress:
    Name:  eow228-wip1.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  172.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, I'll be posting the voting poll tonight and starting a new topic as well! Thanks for your patience, I'm out of town at the moment.\\

Great work!

Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  spider tumbs 3.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  258.3 KB

Some thumbs and a wip. Big ol' spiders hanging out in a canyon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Great work here. I am hoping to have a go at the next round, but here was my idea for this one.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.